Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character issues in some parts of the forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character issues in some parts of the forum.

Hello!

Everything is written in danish in our forums. That means that we use the characters , and . Problem is that these characters does not show as they are supposed to, everywhere in the site.

If you look at our front page http://www.macforum.dk/forum/ you see that that the characters are showing as they are supposed to. But if i go to my profile (http://www.macforum.dk/forum/member/3-benjamin/about) and look at my occupation, something weird happens. The line should read "Lser Datalogi /v rhus Universitet" but it looks like this: "L�ser Datalogi /v �rhus Universitet"

I think the same thing happens when text is restored from the automatic saves.

Actually i just noticed that the exact same thing goes for vbulletin.com. I just added an "" in the end of my occupation: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...-webtoad/about

Comment

It looks like no issue when loading the About tab by default (no ajax). It is an issue when switching to About tab wherein content is fetched via ajax.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Aha. Didn't notice that. In that case my links does not show the problem. xD

Comment

What character encoding are you using under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Your Language -> Edit?
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1)

Comment

The charset is not specified in the HTTP Response Content-Type header for all requests. It works fine on normal requests (non-ajax) because the charset is set in the <meta> tag. But for ajax requests, there is no charset in the response.

The response header should contain this:

Code:
              Content-Type text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
              Try adding this to .htaccess:

Code:
              AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

The issue with the occupation not showing character right seems to be solved with the line in the .htaccess file, Thanks!

However the autosaving of messages does not seem to work yet. I will see if i can make an example.
                Last edited by webtoad; Sat 24th Aug '13, 2:11am.

Comment

Here is an example. First photo is the test message. Second is what is shown after a page reload, without the message having been submitted. If i press restore the message appears as in the third photo.

Comment

Please try changing your character set to UTF-8, and then remove the entries from the Blank Character stripper option, in the Censorship settings.

Comment

• webtoad
                      webtoad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When you tell me to change character set to UTF-8, do you mean in my browser or in the language in admincp? If i change character set to UTF-8 i will break everything that contains danish letters i think?

Please save this message with danish letters in it æøå æ æ æ ø ø ø å å å

The above line was restored here in this topic. it should be like this:

Please save this message with danish letters in it

Comment

I meant the AdminCP language setting for the language.

Comment

If i change to UTF-8 in AdminCP, then autosave works just fine. But everything else in the entire site gets messed up.

Comment

I installed tapatalk on the forums today, and this problem also happens if a message is written from tapatalk. Doesn't autosave work with latin1?

UPDATE: Started a thread over at the Tapatalk support. Follow it here: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads...h-chars.20101/
                          Last edited by webtoad; Wed 28th Aug '13, 1:39pm.

Comment

Originally posted by webtoad View Post
                            Please save this message with danish letters in it æøå æ æ æ ø ø ø å å å

The above line was restored here in this topic. it should be like this:

Please save this message with danish letters in it
                            I was able to reproduce it here. When you load the topic page and you have an autosaved content, that content is loaded from template and not from ajax. When you view the source (not from firebug or any debugging tools), you can see this:
                            HTML Code:
                            <span class="h-hide ckeditor-auto-load">Please save this message with danish letters in it æøå æ æ æ ø ø ø å å å 2</span> 
                            So it is not a display problem. Maybe the issue is on saving or fetching the data?

Comment

• webtoad
                              webtoad commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Man i wish my forum was just plain UTF-8 encoding. That would probably make everything ALOT easier.