Deleting Main Category, Main Forum and Blogs/Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting Main Category, Main Forum and Blogs/Groups

I have created several new categories and forums in my test installation. However, I can't delete the Main Category and the Main Forum (which was created when installing vB5). Going to the Channel Manager and selecting Delete for those only brings up an error page. How can I delete this default Category/Forum?

Is there a possibility to truely deactivate Blogs and Groups in vB5? I checked the General Options, but could not find anything to truely deactivate those. Sure, I an make them invisible for vertain user groups, but in vB4 there was a possibility to deactivate CMS and Blogs. Now I wonder if there is a similar one in vB5. Maybe I haven't found it yet...

Trying setting their Display to 0.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

You should be able to delete Main Category and Main Forum in 5.0.5 when it gets released. For some reason, Main Category was marked as a protected channel. Most people just rename it anyway.

You can turn off access to blogs and groups using Channel Permissions. Just set all permissions to No for the Blog and Group super channels. You would have to manually turn off the Navigation Tabs by editing the Navigation Bar in Site Builder as well. Just edit the permissions and remove them from all usergroups or delete them outright.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        You should be able to delete Main Category and Main Forum in 5.0.5 when it gets released. For some reason, Main Category was marked as a protected channel. Most people just rename it anyway.
        Thanks for the info about vB 5.0.5.

The problem with renaming is that, although they then do have different names in the frontend, the URLs still contain the main category and main forum part. This is good to keep links intact, if one changes names later, but I am missing a possibility here to modify those manually.

You can turn off access to blogs and groups using Channel Permissions. Just set all permissions to No for the Blog and Group super channels. You would have to manually turn off the Navigation Tabs by editing the Navigation Bar in Site Builder as well. Just edit the permissions and remove them from all usergroups or delete them outright.
        Yes, I did that already. So there is no way to 'delete' them, but I think I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMD View Post
          Thanks for the info about vB 5.0.5.

The problem with renaming is that, although they then do have different names in the frontend, the URLs still contain the main category and main forum part. This is good to keep links intact, if one changes names later, but I am missing a possibility here to modify those manually.
          You can change them by clicking "Edit Page" in Site Builder while in those channels.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You can change them by clicking "Edit Page" in Site Builder while in those channels.
            Ouch.

Thanks!

Comment

I was having the same issue for some reason. I then just renamed the Main Channel but when I tried to switch it back to a Channel and not a Category I get the error: "You cannot convert a channel that is not empty" ... it is empty. It wasn't empty moments ago but I have deleted the sub forums that were below it. I double checked this in the CP and the Page Manager. this is also a fresh install so there should be no strange data in the forum.

any ideas?

Comment