Listing a channel in a grid with images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing a channel in a grid with images

Is it possible to replace the channel topics with images using CSS or do the page templates need to be edited. Which method will give the fastest page load?

I'd like to get started on this, is this not the right place to ask or am I on my own? I've had no luck finding or getting questions answered at vbulletin.org.

Comment

Just to be clear what you actually want to edit: What exactly of a topic do you want to modify? The title on the forumview? The icon in front of every topic (forumview)? The topic itself (topicview)?

Nice theme(s) by the way.

Comment

• Replicant
        Replicant commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. The credit for the themes goes out to napy8gen. He does really good work.

I want to replace the titles of the sub-forums in a channel with a tile for each title in a responsive grid. I'm just not sure if I have to edit the templates directly or if it can be done in CSS. I also don't want to take a performance hit if one way will be better than the other.

I see in my original post where the confusion came from as I used the word topics instead of subforums. The number of sub-forums will not be changing after the channel is built.
      Last edited by Replicant; Mon 1st Dec '14, 9:00am.

Comment

I've already started coding this since I haven't received any kind of an answer to my question. I'd still like to know the best method. I'm leaning toward CSS.

Comment

• Replicant
          Replicant commented
          Editing a comment
          As it turned out, templates and CSS.

My grid layout project is now working and the grid re-sizes all the way down to one column based on screen size. I used "flip tiles" for the grid. The tile images are named by forum id and served from my images directory. Last post info is on the reverse side of the tile. Tile flips on mouse hover or touch on phones and tablets. New posts in a channel cause the green banner to be displayed on that channels tile. The forum_Display template was edited and a new forum_Display_items and forum_Display_list template was created for the grid layout. I guess the next step will be making grid or list display user selectable. I've had very positive feedback from my users.

http://www.k5blazersplus.com/forums/forum/tech-info
        Last edited by Replicant; Sun 21st Dec '14, 7:35am.

Comment

Nice one Replicant!
          I can't see the grid on your forum. Is that for members only? I would like to see it and check if no template editing is possible.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X