Every couple of years I attempt an install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every couple of years I attempt an install

Every couple of years I attempt to install the latest Vbulletin. Usually, I get it to successfully install after a couple of hours of forcing it to upgrade. It always seems to hang at step 15 and then repeatedly hang each step as I force it to continue by refreshing the page. This is, of course, accompanied by messages telling me how long it may take. These messages always successfully get me to wait an extended amount of time on a hung process and have yet to prove their worth by saving me from canceling a process that would eventually complete.

Once installed, I usually go through the extended amount of settings adjusting things to my delight. At some point I get to styles and attempt to style the site. Almost always at this point I get a white screen on all pages of my install, including lostpw. The adminCP does seem to load correctly, however I can never log in from the adminCP from my default admin account as it never accepts my password. The install only seems to accept my password from the front end. Now, unable to see the website at all save for the admin login page and the red messages telling me the passwords I just made are bad, I am forced to uninstall.

Historically this is where I give up and go to a different solution.

See you in a couple more years. I'll never recommend this product until admin can login from website.com/admincp or website.com/core/admincp or whatever redirect I set, and until all styles and page editing functionality that comes standard with VB works as intended and doesn't blank whitescreen the install across all areas except the admincp login screen which doesn't accept a correct username password combination that was set during the install process. (Admin login info only works on front end.)

I'm interested in designing some forum software that functions correctly. Message me.

Every couple of years I attempt to install the latest Vbulletin. Usually, I get it to successfully install after a couple of hours of forcing it to upgrade. It always seems to hang at step 15 and then repeatedly hang each step as I force it to continue by refreshing the page. This is, of course, accompanied by messages telling me how long it may take. These messages always successfully get me to wait an extended amount of time on a hung process and have yet to prove their worth by saving me from canceling a process that would eventually complete.
    Step 15 of the Final install script? This is commonly an issue on GoDaddy Servers. The specifically timeout the script and it always times out at this location. There are three options here...

Wait 10 minutes and refresh the screen. The upgrader will pick up where it left off.
    Upgrade via the Command Line interface and you can avoid the web server timeout.
    Switch to another hosting provider.

Once installed, I usually go through the extended amount of settings adjusting things to my delight. At some point I get to styles and attempt to style the site. Almost always at this point I get a white screen on all pages of my install, including lostpw. The adminCP does seem to load correctly, however I can never log in from the adminCP from my default admin account as it never accepts my password. The install only seems to accept my password from the front end. Now, unable to see the website at all save for the admin login page and the red messages telling me the passwords I just made are bad, I am forced to uninstall.
    A blank page typically means a PHP error but without access to a site with the problem, we can't really tell what the issue is. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do to style the site.

Not being able to login usually means you're accessing the site from a different URL than the one specified in the upgrade process (even www. is different) or the cookie prefix is set separately in the /config.php and /core/includes/config.php file. 99% of customers never need to change the cookie prefix values.

I would really like to know what you're doing to encounter the issues. If it is a button or value set incorrectly, then we need to put more validation on those items. If it is something else, we need to improve the installation instructions. I've done thousands of installs of this product and do not encounter these problems.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment