Disable mail/contact us form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable mail/contact us form

So, spambots are sending mail from our vbulletin installation all the time. I cant find any new post telling how to disable this feature.

I have selected "no" on "Enable Email features?". But it doesnt do any difference.

My vbulletin version is now vBulletin 5.6.2 Patch Level 1.

The contact us form sends email to one location, the email specified under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / Contact Details. You can prevent unregistered users from using the contact us form on the same page. There is no way for people to email users on vBulletin 5 directly.

What are the emails that are being sent out, including headers?

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

"Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender".

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
      recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
      host mta6.am0.yahoodns.net [67.195.228.106]
      SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
      554 delivery error: dd Not a valid recipient - atlas115.free.mail.gq1.yahoo.com

I have changed the password for my mail account to a password considered to have "100" in strenght according to cpanel. So i guess there are only one option left...

Comment

The message comes from "[email protected]" (PRO ISP is my service provider). My pro isp tells me either i have been hacked, or there is some sort of code/form with access to my site sending these mails.

Comment

What do you have for the bounce email address in the admincp settings?

Comment

In only have two mail accounts. Suspending the mail account used in vbulletin stops the mails from comming in return.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by onkeljan View Post
              [email protected]
              554 delivery error: dd Not a valid recipient - atlas115.free.mail.gq1.yahoo.com[/I]
              This isn't a spam email. This is a bounce back stating that the recipient doesn't exist on the receiving server anymore.

vBulletin sends out legitimate emails containing notifications that users subscribe to. If they user has their email address deleted and they do not update the email on their vBulletin account, this kind of notification will be bounced back to you. Likewise, this is a legitimate email back to you stating the person doesn't exist at that address. As a website owner, it is your job to make sure that legitimate emails go out or to stop them from being sent. To strip the user's subscriptions, find the account in the AdminCP and choose "Delete Subscriptions" from the Quick Links dropdown on their profile.

You can even restrict their access on your site until they provide a legitimate email address. Though the user may have simply moved on and doesn't visit anymore.

I don't recommend disabling emails wholesale because it is the only method you have of contacting users and allows you to implement security practices such as verifying emails on registration (considered best practice).

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Why have I never seen these mails before, until a few days ago, and then get 50 mails in a few hours?

Comment

Can't say. All I can go by is the very limited sample of data provided by you. I have absolutely no idea on how your server is configured or why you would or wouldn't receive emails. vBulletin doesn't actually handle any email sending or receiving. It is passed off to your server.

Change the passwords on your email accounts. Configure vBulletin to use SMTP instead of the insecure default mailing system (all mail directly through PHP is insecure).

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment