Read/Unread posts inticator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read/Unread posts inticator

The Read/Unread posts indicator is not greying out after all posts are read. I can click on the Mark all Channels Read button at the bottom of the home page and the indicators go grey. When there is a new post in any channel that channel indicator turns blue, but after I read the post and go back to the home page the indicator is still blue. Shouldn't it turn grey?

vBulletin 5.5.6

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unread posts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	4442796

Yes. If it stays blue than there is still an unread post somewhere in a thread. If you click into the forum you should see any thread that still contains unread posts as it will be bolded.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• CorbinH
      CorbinH commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to disappoint you Mark, but there are no bolded posts in the channels in question.
      As I stated, If I mark all posts read and a new post comes in when I read it the indicator for that channel still stays blue until I manually mark it read.
      Last edited by CorbinH; Sun 21 Jun '20, 5:37pm.

This is the General Chat channel which is showing unread posts. All posts have been read.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Read.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.0 KB ID:	4442803

Comment

Yes I've seen this in the past, but not the current version. I believe the typography is being cached either by the system or browser. It will eventually sync up.
      Last edited by OrganForum; Mon 22 Jun '20, 12:02pm.
      VB 5.6.4
      PHP 7.4
      MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

I realise that I have posted this question in the wrong section, would a moderator please move it to the Support Issues & Questions section please, that way I may receive a relevant answer? And please correct the typo in the heading. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by CorbinH View Post
          I realise that I have posted this question in the wrong section, would a moderator please move it to the Support Issues & Questions section please, that way I may receive a relevant answer? And please correct the typo in the heading. Thank you.
          One of the functions that did not carry over from vBulletin 4 was the ability to click on the forum icon to mark the channels within that forum as read. I was almost positive there is an open request to restore that functionality but I'll be damned if I can locate it. If you're running 5.5.6 you might want to upgrade to 5.6.1 PL1 and see if you still have the issue. I'm not sure how much anyone can suggest unless you do that because there have been considerable changes and fixes in the last few releases.

Comment

• CorbinH
            CorbinH commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the feedback.

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the functions that did not carry over from vBulletin 4 was the ability to click on the forum icon to mark the channels within that forum as read. I was almost positive there is an open request to restore that functionality but I'll be damned if I can locate it.
            This was closed as "Won't Fix" as the functionality causes problems on touch devices and there were not a significant amount of votes. https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...ssues/VBV-2956

This can be caused by a number of reasons:
          1. There is an unread comment. Comments do not bubble up to the Last Post information properly and may be unread even if you loaded the page they are on. I believe there is an open bug report on this.
          2. There is system caching on modules for performance purposes. If you are using a relatively basic permission setup with few or no custom groups, you might be able to disable search caching to help resolve this. Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Search Result Cache Lifetime.
          3. Your browser can be caching the previous output. Especially if you navigate with the "back" button. When using the back button, the browser may not even send a request to the server to see if the page has changed depending on the browser and its settings.
          Finally, make sure your read marking option is on "Database (automatic forum marking)." Settings -> Options -> General Settings. The other two settings really make no sense in today's world where people often access sites from multiple devices, browsers, and apps.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 23 Jun '20, 8:37am.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CorbinH
            CorbinH commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the informative reply Wayne. I have tried your last suggestion first and changed the option to "Database (automatic forum marking)" as it makes the most sense. It was set to Database (no automatic forum marking). I have learnt from past experience to only change one thing at a time when you are troubleshooting a problem. If this does not work I will try option 2.

• CorbinH
            CorbinH commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Wayne the setting I changed worked, the "bubble" is now updating when new posts are read. An easy fix this time thank you again for your help.
        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X