Pagespeed Mobile VS Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pagespeed Mobile VS Desktop

Hey, just playing around with the pagespeed insight from google and I am wondering, why the page speed for the desktop version is 96% and for mobile about 45-49%
    (https://developers.google.com/speed/...denforum.de%2F)

The content is more or less the same. Is google simulating a "slow" internet connection for the mobile test? Or any explanation why there is such a big difference?

Trying hardly to optimize my mobile speed

greetings to all of you and have a nice weekend

Speed is only as fast as the slowest link in the network. Is your desktop connection cable? Is your mobile device 5G? Are you comparing apples to apples?

Google doesn't alter the speed of the test.

Comment

Hey, I am aware of that. But I am running the test from the computer and google tests both the speed for desktop and mobile. So I guess a perfect connection is given for both.

Comment

Btw its almost the same for this forum
        Attached Files

Comment

Google's Lighthouse Testing Engine expects sites to comply with their AMP platform whether they are in the program or not. vBulletin doesn't comply with AMP at this time. As such, it will "ding" you and give a lower score for mobile. Server configuration will control a lot of "first content" items, including PHP and MySQL versions, vBulletin has no control over these items.

That said, there are some changes in upcoming versions that can hopefully improve this. There were some issues involving caching phrasing and other data in local storage. With foreign languages, this can cause multiple calls to get the language. We have consolidated this into a single call (in most cases) and that will improve performance across the board. However it may not be noticeable in many cases. This is available in 5.6.0.

Also dropping support for Internet Explorer in 5.6.0 will allow us to improve Javascript and CSS performance as we remove the dozens of IE workarounds in place due to the lack of standards compliance. One of these is the ability to us Ecmascript 6.0 (released in 2015). These updates to the Javascript standard allow for better processing with better performance. We should start seeing these improvements in 5.6.0 and 5.6.1.

There are things that you can do as well to raise your score. Google wants there to be less than 1500 DOM elements on a page. Every HTML tag is a DOM element. So if your site has a lot of forums on the front page, then you might try consider how to reconfigure them so that fewer show. Or create a custom home page for your site and redirect the Forums tab to the /forums channel for a list of forums.

We'll continue working on updating the Javascript and getting rid of code for older browsers to help with speed as well. It won't happen overnight.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            In Omnibus commented
            Editing a comment
            According to one Google Webmaster they also expect you to have fewer than ten !important tags in the entirety of your CSS code.

So much for their expectations.

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel it is overused in vBulletin and shouldn't be in the default code at all. Reliance on the !important tag causes performance issues in browsers and can lead to bad coding.

Hey Wayne, now I understand and I really like the further plans for vbulletin regarding this issue!
          Many thanks for this detailed answer!

Comment