Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to REMOVE users from custom usergroups when post count goes ABOVE a certain level?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there a way to REMOVE users from custom usergroups when post count goes ABOVE a certain level?

    We have 3 usergroups that represent posting milestones and we've created promotions that add them to these usergroups.
    • 1,000 posts club
    • 5,000 posts club
    • 10,000 posts club
    When someone is promoted, a special badge is added to their profile (based on the number of posts being "greater than or equal to". The easy part is automatically promoting folks based on posts and that is already working. However.. when someone is promoted, they continue to fly the old badges too. Here's an example:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	pete-badges.png
Views:	116
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	4407545
    we haven't figured out a way to remove users from lower clubs when they are promoted to higher ones. In the case of Pete (above), we'd only like to display the 10k+ badge. Is there a way to do this?
    HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

  • #2
    The only way would be to change their primary usergroup on promotion and not their secondary usergroup.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      The only way would be to change their primary usergroup on promotion and not their secondary usergroup.
      would that actually work? Wouldn't that create a different problem? If a user (like "Pete" above) qualifies for 3 different user groups, what detemines which one would become his primary usergroup. The only way this would work if it we could determine the order each promotion would run. In other words, it would have to work like this:
      1. Promotion to 1k usergroup would need to run first (Pete would have 1k usergroup assigned as primary)
      2. Then promotion to 5k would need to run (Pete would have 5k usergroup assigned as primary)
      3. Then promotion to 10k would need to run (Pete would have 10k usergroup assigned as primary)
      If the promotion sequence runs in any other order, users would end up in the wrong usergroup right? Or... am I missing something?
      HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

      Comment


      • #4
        You can assign the badges to the user group instead of to the user rank. That would cause only the badge assigned to that usergroup to show.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
          You can assign the badges to the user group instead of to the user rank. That would cause only the badge assigned to that usergroup to show.
          Right but that doesn't ensure that the promotion will put "Pete" in the correct primary usergroup! If the 10k promotion runs first and THEN the 5k or 1k promotion runs after that, he'll end up in one of the lower usergroups.
          HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by macromotion View Post

            Right but that doesn't ensure that the promotion will put "Pete" in the correct primary usergroup! If the 10k promotion runs first and THEN the 5k or 1k promotion runs after that, he'll end up in one of the lower usergroups.
            A 5K or a 1K promotion wouldn't run after a 10K promotion. I've never had the system run a lower promotion after a higher one in the nearly nineteen years I've been using the software. If you're having that issue that's probably a bug that should be reported.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

              A 5K or a 1K promotion wouldn't run after a 10K promotion. I've never had the system run a lower promotion after a higher one in the nearly nineteen years I've been using the software. If you're having that issue that's probably a bug that should be reported.
              If there's built-in logic that handles that, that's good to know. I'll try it and see. thanks
              HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by macromotion View Post

                Right but that doesn't ensure that the promotion will put "Pete" in the correct primary usergroup! If the 10k promotion runs first and THEN the 5k or 1k promotion runs after that, he'll end up in one of the lower usergroups.
                Why would you have promotions on the 10K primary group that could lower the user's status?

                You would create three promotions...

                First promotion would change the primary usergroup from Registered to 1K Users. This will only look at users in the Registered usergroup as their primary.
                Second promotion would change the primary usergroup from 1K Users to 5K Users. This will only look at users in the 1K usergroup as their primary.
                Third promotion would change the primary usergroup from 5K users to 10K Users. This will only look at the users in the 5K usergroup as their primary.

                It doesn't matter what order the promotions run in but they will run in the order they are created.

                Users in other usergroups would not be considered during these promotions. So there is no way that someone could move from 10K Users to 1K Users. Even if you delete 9K of their posts. You would only have problems if you assigned Secondary Usergroups since users can actually be in every usergroup if you assign it as a secondary.
                Translations provided by Google.

                Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I figured it out. Thought each promotion would be run on the same "approved users" group. Not the case. the 10K+ promotion would only be run on the 5K+ usergroup. Makes a lot of sense now. Thanks everyone! This is working fine now.
                  HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by macromotion View Post
                    I figured it out. Thought each promotion would be run on the same "approved users" group. Not the case. the 10K+ promotion would only be run on the 5K+ usergroup. Makes a lot of sense now. Thanks everyone! This is working fine now.
                    Edit: Thanks Wayne Luke... just saw your post
                    HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

                    Comment

                    widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X