Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panni100
    replied
    I would like to see SEO improvements with VB5 too as Brian said word press a free software has dealt with this issue and is not really ideal depending on a third party software to do so.

Leave a comment:

• hornstar6969
    replied
    Voted. Lets hope they get done sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• I, Brian
    replied
    Cheers, Wayne - much appreciated. I have at least 7 forums I'd like to consider upgrading from vb3, with a few more mothballed ready to rebuild when financial conditions allow.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    We do understand some work is needed on SEO. We've got a number of issues related to this that are being worked on. Customers have to realize that we sell the software as a series now as well. This does reduce cost of ownership over time. I don't expect anyone to upgrade until they get the features they need.

The issue for Canonical URLs is here:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-7608

I, Brian's issue is here:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-7639

I've added this JIRA request here:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-7688

Leave a comment:

• I, Brian
    replied
    Originally posted by stryka View Post
    i would be more concerned about the lack of activity or discussions from VBSEO
    I'm not too concerned:
    http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2012/07/1...y-123url-info/

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Please keep discussion of vBSEO's products and services to their site, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• stryka
    replied
    Hey I, Brian... i would be more concerned about the lack of activity or discussions from VBSEO on how their plugin will adapt to VB5.... i think we already know that VB5 vanilla will not offer much with VBSEO... sure, there are alot of sites working just fine without VBSEO but for those with VBSEO (myself), we can't even touchVB5 until they provide some communication on what their plans are...

i asked them over here: http://www.vbseo.com/f55/vbulletin-5...seo-vb5-55054/

Originally posted by I, Brian View Post
    No worries, now done.

vbulletin 3 was the first forum software package to explicitly allow Google to index it out of the box.

Unbelievably, many other coders never understood why forum owners might want to have Google pick up their forums and display them prominently.

And yet, unless you have a presence on Google, you will not earn an advertising income from your forum, nor will your community grow without some alternative word of mouth marketing.

Being search friendly is very important, and vbseo was but one mod_rewrite option that offered to help with that. It's become a security liability now, though.

Ironically, SEO is just an extension of general usability principles, but even vb3 could make simply mistakes such as offer at least 10 different URLs for the same page:
    http://www.ibrian.co.uk/01-02-2007/s...w-to-and-tips/

That's just one reason why so many people used a mod_rewrite solution - vbseo was just one of many - and why many people will not move to vb5 unless they have more comtrol over the mod_rewrite process.

They don't need the full vbseo control panel, but just a couple of simple options, more of less what free software such as Wordpress already offers, would keep make everyone with a mod_rewrite solution already in play much better minded to move to vb5.

Leave a comment:

• I, Brian
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    If you'd like us to expand the url rewrites, then please log an improvement request It is as simple as that.
    No worries, now done.

I've never personally used vBSEO, nor do I personally see a need for that software.
    vbulletin 3 was the first forum software package to explicitly allow Google to index it out of the box.

Unbelievably, many other coders never understood why forum owners might want to have Google pick up their forums and display them prominently.

And yet, unless you have a presence on Google, you will not earn an advertising income from your forum, nor will your community grow without some alternative word of mouth marketing.

Being search friendly is very important, and vbseo was but one mod_rewrite option that offered to help with that. It's become a security liability now, though.

Ironically, SEO is just an extension of general usability principles, but even vb3 could make simply mistakes such as offer at least 10 different URLs for the same page:
    http://www.ibrian.co.uk/01-02-2007/s...w-to-and-tips/

- showthread (normal)
    - archive
    - printthread
    - &mode=threaded
    - &mode=linear
    - mode=hybrid&t=
    - &mode=threaded
    - &goto=nextoldest
    - &goto=nextnewest
    - goto=newpost&t=
    - goto=lastpost&t=
    That's just one reason why so many people used a mod_rewrite solution - vbseo was just one of many - and why many people will not move to vb5 unless they have more comtrol over the mod_rewrite process.

They don't need the full vbseo control panel, but just a couple of simple options, more of less what free software such as Wordpress already offers, would keep make everyone with a mod_rewrite solution already in play much better minded to move to vb5.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Thanks, I'll check to see if its not reported, and report it.

Leave a comment:

• dethfire
    replied
    Weird how so many successful forums don't use it then.

Slightly more on topic, what is wrong with the meta tags in vBulletin 5? Did you log a bug report?
    Like I said, I don't use it either, it's way overboard and they reach for features, but you won't admit, but you know there were some serious problems with 3 and 4 that never got addressed. You don't know the level even successful forums have been penalized for it. It hinders their full potential. Google WMT proves this. I hope vB5 takes it seriously.

If you go to a thread like
    www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-demo-forum/off-topic-discussion/9249-thomas-sabo-bracelets-can-absolutely-amuse-altered-people’s-appropriate-need

view source
    <meta name="description" content="" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="" />

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Weird how so many successful forums don't use it then.

Slightly more on topic, what is wrong with the meta tags in vBulletin 5? Did you log a bug report?

Leave a comment:

• dethfire
    replied
    If you want to see those things, please make sure YOU put them into an improvement request. I've never personally used vBSEO, nor do I personally see a need for that software.
    I personally don't like vBSEO. it's overboard, but in general it does fix many EASY SEO problems that vB has failed to fix for the past however many years it's been in existence and if you don't understand that then respectfully you don't understand SEO. The the vast duplicate content and meta is perfect example of this. Ridiculous how it was never addressed. vB does not meet Google standards and that is important.
    Last edited by dethfire; Thu 31st Jan '13, 4:26pm.

Leave a comment:

• Inkognito23
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Pretty sure this is against the law. Copyright and all that...
    its not agains any law! you should look at the options of vbseo, to understand what this software can do and what vbulletin5 cant do at the moment!
    i didnt say, u should copy&cat vbseo sourcecode!

if u look how big is the community of vbseo, u will understand that they have a very huge amount of vbseo licence owners. why is that? because it gives you very big push on seo if its properly configged... i am the vbseo user from the first hour and i wish since years that vbulletin understand the needs of customers in SEO to implement the vbseo options in core of vbulletin.

as a bigboard admin, vbseo needs an additional 400ms of TTFB (TimeToFirstByte) besides vbulletins 250ms. i think, implemented in core or additonal official addon, vbulletin can charge more money and would have vbulletin5 customers faster as you guys could breath!!!!

its poor, if even vbulletin team or product developer never saw vbseo in their testing environment.... try, see, and implement as core or at least as addiontal official addon!

@zachery
    put my post to improvement request and ur wish is done!

Leave a comment:

• hornstar6969
    replied
    I think the best route would be for IB just to buy the company vbseo so they own it, and then they can.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkognito23 View Post
    the improvement request is very easy done by vbulletin solutions product developers himselfs!

buy a licence from vbseo and give a look of their options for SEO enhancement!

put all this vbseo features in the core of vb5 and you can charge for sure +40% more money for a vb5 licence!
    or make it as an official addon for a special price like vbseo costs...

i see, a lot of frustated and feared vb customers everywhere incl. really bigboard admins... me included...
    Pretty sure this is against the law. Copyright and all that...

Leave a comment: