Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any big forums running this yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waldvb View Post
    I hope so. Because VB is very unfriendly for images. Pages with images are very slow.
    Changes have been made to how vBulletin 5 handles images (and linked videos). Previously they resized images with CSS. This isn't a good method when it comes to performance because download sizes are still the same. However it is a reliable method for showing multiple image sizes in different locations. We've since changed this (don't think it is deployed yet) where we store multiple sizes per image to cut the download down. So unless images are being embedded fullsize, it should become more friendly. The trade off though is additional storage, either in the file system or the database for the multiple images.

With linked videos, we used to immediately embed the iframe from the provider like YouTube. Now the system will retrieve a thumbnail image and show it as well. Clicking on the image will load the video, replace the image and play the video. This lowers perceived issues from embedding third-party content in a page.

Here is a "bucket" with a few of the things they've done for front-end performance:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-7236
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rivka
      If You Were Building your First Site Right Now, Would You Use vB4 or vB5?
      by Rivka
      Ok I am just now learning and building a site. I have been reading and learning my install of vb4 for the last 2 months, i have a lot of learning to go. I currently do not know when My site will go live,...
      vb4 - Stick with what's already released & works
      66.67%
      Both - set them up side by side, if the vB5 is gold by the time you want to go life, great, otherwise fall back to vB4
      10.26%
      vB5 - Might as well put the time and effort into setting it all up once
      23.08%
      Fri 28 Sep '12, 11:21am
    • MistyMeanor
      How do I know when it's smart to DL vB5?
      by MistyMeanor
      So I noticed the new version is out. I just got new forum license set up with a vB4 about a month ago. Since I have added mods to it and just kind of gotten all set up the way I want it for the most part...
      Tue 2 Jul '13, 1:49pm
    • Bluetiereign
      I'm sorry, I just don't like this...
      by Bluetiereign
      Yeah, this is just such a huge departure from the very nice publishing suite that we have. It would probably be easier to swallow if it weren't such a drastic departure - all at once. You have completely...
      Sun 30 Sep '12, 10:56am
    • pwhitehead
      Bought vb5, just because..
      by pwhitehead
      I really don't know what everyone's complaining about. Sorry this forum isn't hack able yet, not many add ons nor themes. Sucks, don't it? Everyone who bought this software knew what they were getting...
      Sat 18 May '13, 8:54pm
    • tonmo
      vb5 Feedback
      by tonmo
      I'm a vb forum owner since 2002. vb3 was great, but lacked a CMS and so I relied on vbadvanced for years, plus some good ol' hand-coding. Eventually that got old so was excited about vb4. vb4 was rough...
      Sat 10 Aug '13, 5:56pm
    Working...
    X