X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rexxxy
    replied
    My feedback: "Content is King"

The CMS is what sold me on vb4 suite to upgrade from vb 3. So I can use one system instead of using vbadvanced portal. A lot of people wanted the CMS if it wasn't needed then why so many people was using vbadvanced portal.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
    Exactly. You first purchased, or considered purchasing the forum software, and then thought to your self the additional features of the CMS might be worth purchasing as an add-on.
    You won't convince anyone you purchased the Suite because of the CMS, and thought to yourself that the forum was an add-on. Had your primary intention been to locate a CMS you'd have looked elsewhere. Wordpress and Joomla are free. The forum software was still the selling point, even with the vB4 Suite. vB5 may change that entirely. It has the potential to be so much more than forum software with a CMS.
    No, I was familiar with vb and its management of users through work on forums that ran on their software. My primary objective when I bought 4.0 3 years ago was that I wanted a software that had a CMS, blogs, and groups.

I have a client now who has 2 sites on Social Engine and has the same configuration with no forum. CMS, Blogs, Groups. Yea, Wordpress and Joomla are better CMS's but they are crap when it comes to building a community and user management. That is something that vb has always excelled in and the reason why their forums were always the best.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by Solitaire View Post
    I purchased the suite for the CMS
    Exactly. You first purchased, or considered purchasing the forum software, and then thought to your self the additional features of the CMS might be worth purchasing as an add-on.
    You won't convince anyone you purchased the Suite because of the CMS, and thought to yourself that the forum was an add-on. Had your primary intention been to locate a CMS you'd have looked elsewhere. Wordpress and Joomla are free. The forum software was still the selling point, even with the vB4 Suite. vB5 may change that entirely. It has the potential to be so much more than forum software with a CMS.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    One of the main components of a CMS is article publishing. So calling vb5 a CMS without it present is making CMS by vb's definition a vb only term.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by jdj View Post
    For those of us using the CMS at present, if we upgrade to vB5 we lose the content in our CMS. So we're in limbo.
    The articles won't be "lost", they will stay in the database until such time as the Article Management stuff is added.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
    To be fair, not everyone uses CMS. Also of those who do there are some who will be able to do without and others that can use the sitebuilder for the purpose for the time being.
    For those of us using the CMS at present, if we upgrade to vB5 we lose the content in our CMS. So we're in limbo.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Site Builder is in vBulletin 5 as it ships now. What is missing is the Article Publishing portion.
    That's what I mean by "The CMS". I use the Article Publishing Portion. Can't do anything with vB5 until the replacement arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by jdj View Post
    The 100% customizable "drag and drop" CMS of vB5 sounds great but unless I missed something in the recent announcements it's still not here today.
    Site Builder is in vBulletin 5 as it ships now. What is missing is the Article Publishing portion.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    To be frank, the CMS has never been a selling point of vBulletin. It's simply not the primary function of the software. It's an additional feature half of the customers care about half of the time. The 100% customizable "drag and drop" CMS of vB5 should make it every bit as useful as WordPress with the added benefit of single sign-on, higher security, etc. fairly large number of customers who simply want improved forum software and couldn't care less about CMS, articles, blogs, albums, etc.
    I didn't care much about the CMS until I started using it for news and jobs. Now I do care about it.

The 100% customizable "drag and drop" CMS of vB5 sounds great but unless I missed something in the recent announcements it's still not here today.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
    See my post above.

Not necessarily. See my post above. There was a better discount on the suite and I thought I might eventually try the additional features, i.e., the BLOG as well as the CMS. Indeed, on one site my members are beginning to use the blogs in a limited way but even though it's now enabled the CMS feature is virtually dead.

That's not necessarily a negative, of course. vBulletin isn't cutom codedx for me or you or anyone else. There are several other features in vBulletin that I never used, e.g., groups and reputation, but I'm sure there are others who would see those features as essential.

Fair enough. Clearly everyone doesn't think exactly the same as you do.
    I never said everyone thought the same as I did. I just asked the question why would anyone do that. Just because there are people who did, doesn't mean my question was any less relevant. I wanted to know a reason why that would be a motivation. You provided yours and that is great. Doesn't mean I was insisting everyone thought the same as I do. On the contrary, I think that not everyone's primary motivation for purchasing the suite was just to get a forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    4.X Forum license was actually more expensive because it did not include ticket support. For $10 over the cost of the Forum License and Ticket Support, you can purchase the Suite. Saves money in the long run.
    I dont think I looked at that when I made my purchases. Infact I know I didn't because I was upgrading one 3.x site and I started one on 4.x so yea, that wasn't a deciding factor but I can understand how a brand new user might see that benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I said anyone who purchased the 4.x suite. Why would you purchase the suite license and not use the CMS? It would be a waste of money when you could have gotten a forum license.
    4.X Forum license was actually more expensive because it did not include ticket support. For $10 over the cost of the Forum License and Ticket Support, you can purchase the Suite. Saves money in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• djbaxter
    replied
    I said anyone who purchased the 4.x suite. Why would you purchase the suite license and not use the CMS? It would be a waste of money when you could have gotten a forum license.
    See my post above.

CMS was the selling point of the 4.x suite. Otherwise you got a forum only license.
    Not necessarily. See my post above. There was a better discount on the suite and I thought I might eventually try the additional features, i.e., the BLOG as well as the CMS. Indeed, on one site my members are beginning to use the blogs in a limited way but even though it's now enabled the CMS feature is virtually dead.

That's not necessarily a negative, of course. vBulletin isn't custom coded for me or you or anyone else. There are several other features in vBulletin that I never used, e.g., groups and reputation, but I'm sure there are others who would see those features as essential.

I purchased the suite for the CMS, and I purchased forum only licenses for forum only sites.
    Fair enough. Clearly everyone doesn't think exactly the same as you do.
    Last edited by djbaxter; Fri 2 Nov '12, 11:31am. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
    To be fair, not everyone uses CMS. Also of those who do there are some who will be able to do without and others that can use the sitebuilder for the purpose for the time being. Personally Im in the latter. There is nothing I need in the cms that I cannot create pages for with sitebuilder for the time being. End of the day not everyone needs it so to say "anyone" is simply not correct. I mean there are also those who do not have suite in the first place, which is a lot of people I would have thought.

To be frank, the CMS has never been a selling point of vBulletin. It's simply not the primary function of the software. It's an additional feature half of the customers care about half of the time. If one needed CMS to be the primary function one has far more appealing options. vBulletin 5 has the potential to change that. My sites would require a CMS that is easily changed from one hour to the next. vB5 has the architecture to do just exactly that. For all of the positives of WordPress, there are definite drawbacks to using it as a plugin CMS. The 100% customizable "drag and drop" CMS of vB5 should make it every bit as useful as WordPress with the added benefit of single sign-on, higher security, etc. One thing I find to be a complete drawback to WordPress is that in order to use it as a CMS I would have to update it several times daily. That is far more time consuming than the return warrants. There are also a fairly large number of customers who simply want improved forum software and couldn't care less about CMS, articles, blogs, albums, etc. It's a time-consuming challenge to attempt to release a product that is pleasing to most of the customer base most of the time. This is why vB isn't forcing customers under duress to purchase the vB5 beta and is offering vB4.2 with the purchase of a vB5 beta license. Because customers who do depend on the CMS won't upgrade until vB5 has one. And that's just one of the countless reasons.
    CMS was the selling point of the 4.x suite. Otherwise you got a forum only license.

I defy you to find a customer who purchased vBulletin primarily for the CMS, and not primarily for the forum software.
    I purchased the suite for the CMS, and I purchased forum only licenses for forum only sites. Plus I see a TON of suite sites out there all the time. Just because they don't come here and join in the chorus of 3.x was the best software ever, and vb is strictly forum software doesn't mean they don't exist.

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
    Do you understand the concept of a beta release? No beta is ever part of "the phased initial release schedule". It is exactly what it says - a beta version - which most people would and should know will contain bugs, probably numerous bugs, and which will typically lack full functionality. This isn't IB policy. This is universal.
    Yea just like beta's aren't for sale. IB hasn't gone universal software development life cycle models in the past so why believe they would now? And they have even said what they mean by beta is different so that's all moot.

Leave a comment:

• djbaxter
    replied
    I mean is it really too much to ask to get an official email that says

*This beta sale is not a part of the phased initial release schedule
    Do you understand the concept of a beta release? No beta is ever part of "the phased initial release schedule". It is exactly what it says - a beta version - which most people would and should know will contain bugs, probably numerous bugs, and which will typically lack full functionality. This isn't IB policy. This is universal.

Originally posted by rexxxy View Post
    The things y'all say. The CMS was the selling point for vb4 suite ....smh carry on
    For whom? It wasn't for me and for the first several releases after 4.0 I wasn't using it at all (with 2 licenses). I bought the suite rather than the forum only version because I thought it might be something I would use down the line, which turned out to be the case. And numerous other people bought the forum only version because they didn't want the CMS and Blog features at all - ever. For all those people, if I understand correctly, there won't be a forum only version of vB5 but they may well want to upgrade anyway for the new look-and-feel or features.
    Last edited by djbaxter; Fri 2 Nov '12, 9:04am.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by rexxxy View Post
    The things y'all say. The CMS was the selling point for vb4 suite ....smh carry on
    I defy you to find a customer who purchased vBulletin primarily for the CMS, and not primarily for the forum software.

Leave a comment:

• rexxxy
    replied
    My feedback: "Content is King"

Leave a comment: