I'm sorry, I just don't like this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexanderT View Post
    Aside the revamp of the PM you didn't name a single improvement let alone new feature related to the core of the product: the forum.
    What is it you want to see as an "improvement" or "feature" in the forum?

Posting a pointless complaint without a viable solution has a name.

Comment

Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
      Posting a pointless complaint without a viable solution has a name.
      Excuse me? I am not here to provide you with any solution.

Comment

AlexanderT actually has a point. His thoughts are as viable as anyone's.

At any rate, my opinion will not break vbulletin. Just sorry to see so much emphasis on everything but the core software itself.

How long before thread gets locked or deleted, it does not favor the software, and this is not in the plan.

Comment

Aside the revamp of the PM you didn't name a single improvement let alone new feature related to the core of the product: the forum.
          custom search modules - Cannot do that on vb4
          the ability to create new pages - Cannot do that on vb4 (yeah the cms, but Im talkin anywhere, not just in the cms)
          the ability to change navigation with permissions - OK ya can have that one
          the ability to show photos in a new/better way - Def not on vb4 or it wouldnt be new would it
          and a decent framework for addon developers - I assume from your comment against this you are a developer developing for vb4 and vb5?
          the ability to fully switch on and switch of different elements of every page - Try switching off the forums, or the activity feed in vb4.
          the ability to add adverts wherever we like rather than being static - Only set locations in vb4 without editing templates and adding manually
          and the ability to switch sidebar for side to sideor indeed get rid of it without any coding knowlege - You can do this in vb4 can you?
          and a much better (long overdue) revamp of the pm area - You admitted to this one, fair enough
          a decent set of notifications - No VB4 has not, even in the slightest

Now am I missing something, or did you not read anything I posted previously? You are gonna argue anyway, I think thats a given. However would prefer if you read what I posted, its just polite.
          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

vBulletin is much more than Forums now and has been since the Publishing Suite was released. It is envisioned more of a site building package than simply forums. The changes to the software show that.

You can use it for just forums but you'd only be using a portion of the software.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              vBulletin is much more than Forums now and has been since the Publishing Suite was released. It is envisioned more of a site building package than simply forums. The changes to the software show that.

You can use it for just forums but you'd only be using a portion of the software.
              Nothing like getting away from your core competencies.

Comment

Why does everyone have to be so negative LOL

Comment

Alpha/beta semantics aside, vB5 connect has a lot of potential, but also needs a lot of work.
                  I've said it before ... it will be 12 months before we migrate, in the mean time 4.2+ is very viable.
                  environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                  Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

Originally posted by mudmanc4 View Post
                    AlexanderT actually has a point.
                    If so, I would like to know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
                      If so, I would like to know what it is.
                      The point is that vBulletin 5 Connect hardly looks like a major point release from 4 to 5, but rather like a completely different product. As beta, a pre-1.0 product. Even with the introduction of the production suite in 4.0 -- which was always optional -- the focus had been on the forum. Most if not all of the new features soniceffected pointed out are gimmicks for people who are unable or don't want to rely on another content management software.

Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not really.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      These days, most of our customers are not building Forums. They are building Websites and want a variety of options for their users. The Blog was added in 3.6 based on customer demand.

Comment

I just hope vB 5 gets both all the attention and all the delevopment time it needs to become a really good forum software and cms one day. Like others already said, I also see a lot of potential in it.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMD View Post
                          I just hope vB 5 gets both all the attention and all the delevopment time it needs to become a really good forum software and cms one day.
                          They are developing it already for two years and it's already a good Alpha...sorry Beta.
                          Another two years of development and the base for vB 6 Suite-Connect-whatever Gold will be ready.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

The point is that vBulletin 5 Connect hardly looks like a major point release from 4 to 5, but rather like a completely different product. As beta, a pre-1.0 product. Even with the introduction of the production suite in 4.0 -- which was always optional -- the focus had been on the forum. Most if not all of the new features soniceffected pointed out are gimmicks for people who are unable or don't want to rely on another content management software.

Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not really.
                            Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will point out however that you have just stated its a completely different product whilst also stating there is nothing new.

Originally posted by AusPhotography View Post
                            Alpha/beta semantics aside, vB5 connect has a lot of potential, but also needs a lot of work.
                            I've said it before ... it will be 12 months before we migrate, in the mean time 4.2+ is very viable.
                            I'm the same. I have bought vb5 and will be playin around with it until Im ready to upgrade which I cant see being for a good while. I will need the cms, the subscriptions etc. Also will be some mods I need to rewrite for it. But I agree its got good potential and I think it will, and in fact is becoming a good product.

Comment

on the surface, 5.0 appears to be exactly what my community needs going forward. the downside...which echoes in most of the threads here is that its readiness is at a very disappointing status. the longer the "beta" program extends, the more potential owners will be turned off. the overall opinion of the new 5.0 software in its current state deteriorates every day it remains unusable. i'm curious to know what the decision process was to release 5.0...knowing it was still months away from being able to be used... even under the "beta" title.

my use of this software is as an entirely new community. in the meantime, my current community is adrift...as there is no point in trying to further develop the 4.2 version... waiting for 5.0 to reach a point where it can be built to display to the public. IS there a reasonable timeline for 5.0 to release as a gold version, or does anyone even know?

Comment

Originally posted by rhens View Post
                                IS there a reasonable timeline for 5.0 to release as a gold version, or does anyone even know?
                                Yes. When it's ready.

Comment