Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• durruti
    replied
    I keep on encountering this whenever I tried to reply: "There was an error loading the rich text editor. You may use the plain text editor, or you may reload the page to try again. If the problem persists, please contact the administrator." What is that?

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Many people just criticise it based on what it was, not what it now is.
    What it was doesn't bother me; I sometimes think the problem with it is that people keep calling it a forum. With vB4 we were using the CMS for news and jobs, and we found we could keep the calendar populated very easily. So for us it became more of a media publishing facility than a "forum". We couldn't upgrade because we were using the CMS. We had also learned from the vB3/vB4 upgrade that the early version would be full of bugs and the documentation might be sparse. The calendar was one of the things we found easy to keep populated.....

So we think vB are missing something which is more to do with what vB could be than what it was and could make it a lot better than "what it now is"....

Five minutes ago somebody just invited me to an event on Facebook....

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Speaking as a customer now, I'm pleased with the progress on vB5 and the product has come a long way now. Many people just criticise it based on what it was, not what it now is.

I'd like to see more performance improvements now, although there are improvements in each release. 5.1.4 makes some improvements to Site Builder which improves performance for all users.

I do a lot of paid vBulletin installs. Almost everyone goes for vB5 - and yes they are asked first - and almost everyone is very pleased with the results. So I am confident in vB5's future.

And the vB Cloud platform is fantastic. I wish it'd been around 12 years ago when I started my own forum. I was on my own and hadn't a clue what I was doing back then.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Padgett
    replied
    Thank you guys for posting your thoughts on this matter.

Originally posted by durruti View Post
    While I have no clue at all what the OP was talking about as it feels like he got everything 180 degree in the wrong direction, I do feel that 5.1.4 is probably a good time to test the software. I will put a very low expectation for it, neither I am expecting much from it either. But if it can be at least as stable as the free scripts out there, then it is an improvement. One problem though, is vB5 documentation extensive? Since my free 30 days support tickets has long been gone without me ever using it, where can I seek help with a reasonable waiting time (not 24+ hours)? I'm sure as hell would not pay extra $ for it.
    I agree with you that there should be more documentation. Something for us all to sit down and study. I also believe it would differ from as many help questions, some going unanswered.

Though forum support is worth it to me as a customer. While ticket support is always the best way to go.

The most important part of my membership is the vb community. I am fixing to be a college student so forum support and other helpful members has always been worth it to me.

I am looking forward to this next release. I went to the test site to see how well they actually did. I noticed the 3 column layout is perfect for a homepage, as they had made it so.

While considering that my forum is designed for a user based news submission, guides, and reviews, this had came to my attention to actually be something worthy of giving vb5 at least a little more credit and bring it more of a reputation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it needs work. And I agree with many of you, that it's not perfect. I'm glad to hear Mark say that they are focusing all their time on this one product. That makes myself as a customer very happy.

And I believe that work is going to happen. I'm looking forward to it. As I am looking forward to learning with you all. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    commented on 's reply
    I don't mind paying for support *IF* the product works and I can do what I want with it. My only problem with it at present is that there's no calendar and that's only a problem because the calendar is one of the things we find easy to keep populated. Not surprising really because events are going on everywhere in every community.http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...t-it-all-wrong

• jdj
    commented on 's reply
    That's interesting. My test site is running 5.1.3 and there is no problem at all with it displaying on an ipad. Before the option to change the width in the stylevars came along (with 5.1.3) I was using the custom.css template to alter the maximum width of the site. The first time I tried that the site wouldn't display on my ipad but then I reduced the maximum width before progressively increasing it I eventually got it display. No problems with displaying on safari since 5.1.3 came along.
    Last edited by jdj; Thu 23rd Oct '14, 3:10am.

• durruti
    replied
    While I have no clue at all what the OP was talking about as it feels like he got everything 180 degree in the wrong direction, I do feel that 5.1.4 is probably a good time to test the software. I will put a very low expectation for it, neither I am expecting much from it either. But if it can be at least as stable as the free scripts out there, then it is an improvement. One problem though, is vB5 documentation extensive? Since my free 30 days support tickets has long been gone without me ever using it, where can I seek help with a reasonable waiting time (not 24+ hours)? I'm sure as hell would not pay extra $ for it.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    commented on 's reply
    Tech support at vB is good, and very polite. A calendar isn't really a whistle...it's a very basic need and it was present in both vB3 and vB4. I'm not expecting perfection from vB5...I know there'll be bugs in it and as long as I know where they are and can work around them I can live with that. The truth is that if the calendar was in there I'd be saying positive things about vB5 now, despite the bugs.

• jdj
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for the update: My concern with the calendar is not just that it's something that we want (because we use it) but because it's also something that has a lot of potential because of a large unmet need that's out there and because it differentiates vBulletin from its competitors. I think perhaps someone either at IB or a vB may have overlooked it because in the past when you were using vB3 you'd be looking at the obvious features and you'd see in one of the less obvious menus (was it "Community? I can't remember) and say to yourself, "....oh look, there's also a calendar in there." It was almost an afterthought...more of a diary and it's not surprising that many people didn't use it. Because we found a way to highlight it with the NavBar when that came along in vB4 we find it very easy to keep populated. So it's future potential is completely unrelated to whatever anybody did with it in vB3, or early versions of vB4. More on why here.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...t-it-all-wrong

• Replicant
    commented on 's reply
    All of my IPhone/IPad users installed Chrome browser and solved the majority of their problems. Safari doesn't do responsive well as I found out. Forum runner is "awkward" and I just plain don't like tapatalk, but my users do so I have it installed.

• osras1
    replied
    To put my 2 cents in......Im new to VB....so I am always messing something up, but the tech on and off this forum have been fantastic. One thing I would like to see is more tutorials on vb5 there seems to be so much info out there on vb4 and before. Alsonne other thing is to make it more phone oriented. A high number of my members use their iphones....forum runner is a mess.. i know its a third party ...put people didnt have any problem getting tapatalk in vb4 or earlier. I did get the latest version of VB because newest must be the best but there always seem to be bugs in any new software especially if you are upgrading. The more i get used to vb5 the more i like it. What a great upgrade from phpBB3!!But keep in mind we can all find things wrong or that we would like things done a little different in any software. Everyone wants a different or special whistle for their site.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by jdj View Post

It's on the list of populars previously posted in this thread by TLMD.
    In regards to the calendar, it has moved up and that improves its chances of being implemented. It is something we do want to add. It just requires getting it worked into a release along with everything else entailed into a release. As a big project, it will need quite a bit of time dedicated to it. We have been working on adding things from the popular issues list. Including things like User Mentions which had more votes than Calendar when it was added to a release.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    We're not, as such. Currently vB3 and vB4 are only receiving php compatibility updates.

This is not the case. Very few people are requesting a calendar. Very few people used it when it was in vB3, and vB4.
    It's on the list of populars previously posted in this thread by TLMD. What TLMD said was:

"Did you check the popular issues tab in JIRA already? Maybe you want to vote for some of these.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...arissues-panel"

..and if vB3 and vB4 are currently receiving php compatibility updates then you're working on them. I'm not surprised because if IB/VB was dependent upon the number of people that had installed and were running vB5 at present it wouldn't have a viable product or a business. A lot of people struggled with vB4, many of those using vB3 will struggle to upgrade because they'll be using mods from vBulletin.org for which there is no replacement (as we found when we upgraded to vB4 and couldn't use one of the mods we were working on when we were running vB3).

PS: I've already said on this thread why I think the calendar might not have been as well used as it might have been in vB3. But it is one of the things that differentiates vB from its competitors and one of the features with the greatest potential. The absence of the calendar from vB5 is now my only real problem with it.
    Last edited by jdj; Tue 21st Oct '14, 5:58am.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    This thread is about why vB is still working on other vB versions.
    We're not, as such. Currently vB3 and vB4 are only receiving php compatibility updates.

But when it comes to vB4 and the upgrade to vB5, when the calendar is on the list of popular things that people are requesting,
    This is not the case. Very few people are requesting a calendar. Very few people used it when it was in vB3, and vB4.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied

Sites that rush out and dump a brand new version on their members overnight without any planning, consideration or consultation, are going to quickly kill their communities off.

In short - if your community vitally and crucially depends on a calendar - well vB5 doesn't have a calendar. So why would you even consider upgrading?
    There's the dilemma: If you upgrade in a rush of enthusiam only to find that your users can't use the site and your administrators can't administer it because they don't know where the bugs are then you could easily destroy months or years of work.

There may be improvements in vB5 over vB4. The truth is, if it had the calendar in it, now that the CMS is here, I would have upgraded by now. Although having got my fingers burnt when I upgraded from vB3.x to vB4.x I wouldn't have done it immediately; I would have done what I'm doing now...tried it out to find out where all the bugs are so that we can work it.

This thread is about why vB is still working on other vB versions. I don't have a xenforo installation, although I've looked at it to see if it has a CMS/calendar/blogs available as addons. Recently I was on a xenforo site for totally unrelated reasons, searching for an answer to a technical question on scripting. My impression of xenforo is that it is much better than vB3, although of course I wouldn't know because I haven't tried it.

One of the other software programs I run comes from a company that uses Joomla for CMS and blogs but uses vB4 for their customer forum. I suspect that xenforo is a better product than vB4 on its own without blogs or CMS but in terms of what's "best" for any particular user, to a certain extent the product that you are familiar with has an advantage because you don't have to spend as much time getting used to it or keeping it working. So what's "best" doesn't just depend on the technical benefits of the forum.

But when it comes to vB4 and the upgrade to vB5, when the calendar is on the list of popular things that people are requesting, I just don't get why vB/IB doesn't recognise that this is one of the things that differentiates its product from others that might be better and all see the potential for growth in it. Not recognising that seems to me to be exceptionally short-sighted.

Leave a comment: