Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShyGuy82
    replied
    Although this information is somewhat outdated, facebook built a PHP compiler to speed up php processing. Also, Mysql is being used as a key/value pair. I guess it's kind of hard and time consuming to transfer their data into a better key/value pair database (which is exactly what Cassandra was supposed to be).

Leave a comment:

• digitalpoint
    replied
    Originally posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    Serving flash videos is not language specific. PHP still should load balance just fine (or any other language for that matter), it's more of a webserver scalability problem. And talking about facebook, they've started with MySql too...but then moved to Cassandra (although they still have some tiny pieces in MySql).
    They actually aren't using Cassandra for anything.

They originally built Cassandra to handle messages, but they later abandoned it and switched messages over to HBase.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...s/454991608919

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
    Facebook's main database needs are still being run over MySql AFAIK. Casandra isn't their main database engine.

Scott
    If you read their developer blog, they are running something like Facebook-MySQL with a lot of customizations.

Leave a comment:

• ShyGuy82
    replied
    Serving flash videos is not language specific. PHP still should load balance just fine (or any other language for that matter), it's more of a webserver scalability problem. And talking about facebook, they've started with MySql too...but then moved to Cassandra (although they still have some tiny pieces in MySql).

Leave a comment:

• rexxxy
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    I consider people complaining about borrowed features to be trolling.

Does vBulletin 5 have feature X? Is it implemented well? If the answer to those 2 questions is yes, get over yourself.
    What if its NO......lol I'm just asking lol

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    I consider people complaining about borrowed features to be trolling.

Does vBulletin 5 have feature X? Is it implemented well? If the answer to those 2 questions is yes, get over yourself.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Right, I was talking about all of the backend stuff, not just displaying an embedded video, that is very simple stuff.
    Still off-topic (), but FWIW, let's not forget the possibility of calling external programs / embedding C extensions for compiling into PHP if you require to perform a CPU intensive backend task.

Leave a comment:

• soniceffect
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
    Side note... YouTube was built on PHP when Google bought it (but they since transitioned it to Python).

I'm kind of curious why people think you can't do video streaming with PHP? PHP is just the language... you can build a video streaming app with any modern language.
    Just think, on VB5 you'll be able to do a real sidenote

Sorry, that was just too good an opportunity to miss LOL

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Solitaire View Post
    I've coded php video walls using youtube hosted videos. The problem isn't php, it's creating a software platform that will play the videos in browser, and allow users to upload. If vb can integrate such an application into their software, the page can be easily coded with php, and scalable.
    Right, I was talking about all of the backend stuff, not just displaying an embedded video, that is very simple stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    I've coded php video walls using youtube hosted videos. The problem isn't php, it's creating a software platform that will play the videos in browser, and allow users to upload. If vb can integrate such an application into their software, the page can be easily coded with php, and scalable.

Leave a comment:

• digitalpoint
    replied
    The bottleneck for any large video streaming application is going to be bandwidth to actually stream the videos and just raw CPU power to encode the uploaded videos. Neither of which are language/platform specific...

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
    PHP is pretty scalable when something is built properly with it (any bad developer can make *anything* not scale well on any platform).

If you were going to build a video streaming application, what platform would you use (clearly you would not use PHP)?
    It is a good question, and one I don't have an answer for at this time. I was aware of past limitations (so I was told anyway) and that php was not the best way to do it. I haven't needed to sit down and task out a application to stream video.
    Finding out what the best way to go about it would be what I have to do first, and that's not something I have a ton of time for. Sorry for my misinformation

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Facebook seems to do ok with it. The bottleneck with video is the bandwidth and any resources needed processing the file. It doesn't have anything to do with a language's scalability.

EDIT: Sorry, that's already been discussed

Leave a comment:

• digitalpoint
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    I don't think it would be the ideal thing to do it in if you really want some serious scaling. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    PHP is pretty scalable when something is built properly with it (any bad developer can make *anything* not scale well on any platform).

If you were going to build a video streaming application, what platform would you use (clearly you would not use PHP)?

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Hosting videos on your own forum is easy using jwplayer.

Leave a comment: