Lets be honest here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alfanexus View Post
    You can have a dedicated gallery, if you create a channel and then only allow photoes it in

One way to do it is demoed here: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/for...um/photos-only
    I can honestly say I absolutely love that part of vb5.
    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
      I can honestly say I absolutely love that part of vb5.
      Me too.

I hope in the fullness of time this bit at least gets recognised.
      Want a photo gallery? Here's one!
      Want TWO photo galleries? Here they are!
      Want THIRTY photo galleries? Sure!

At the moment all the focus is on "it's slow" and "it's got bugs", both of which are correct, however I see much potential in the product that currently not everyone will focus on.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
        Hmm...let's be honest here. What about categorization or albums within a gallery, commenting on photos, rating photos, liking photos, linking to photos, sharing photos to social networks of choice, etc., etc.? Things a normal gallery should have. The photo only version of the topics in a channel/ forum is not really a gallery at all.

Also a little bug. If I click on a photo, I see the first one in the viewer and not the one I clicked on.

Scott
        Well I must agree this is what we are talking about when we say photo gallery as some forum run on these types of features. For once I would just like to see a real gallery that is part of the forum software and not have to run an add on gallery to get these features. I mean lest face it we in the digital age where just about everyone has a camera on them 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by alfanexus View Post
          You can have a dedicated gallery, if you create a channel and then only allow photoes it in

One way to do it is demoed here: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/for...um/photos-only
          That is far,far,far...from a dedicated gallery. Worse than the Albums here in vB4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

never mind which photo you click - always the first is opening

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              Personally I don't use or like picture galleries. I prefer my members to posts pictures in a thread. Some of my members have thousands of pictures and they can be easily found using the search function. These picture threads are typically about a trip they went on and they explain pictures in detail using maps and other tools to describe the trip.
              You're wrong. We do need video/media gallery and picture gallery with categories, comments - like a pinterest.
              Last edited by waldvb; Wed 19th Sep '12, 2:56pm.
              www.wood-furniture.biz/forums/

Comment

Hmm...let's be honest here. What about categorization or albums within a gallery, commenting on photos, rating photos, liking photos, linking to photos, sharing photos to social networks of choice, etc., etc.? Things a normal gallery should have. The photo only version of the topics in a channel/ forum is not really a gallery at all.

Also a little bug. If I click on a photo, I see the first one in the viewer and not the one I clicked on.

Scott
                ^this.. There's a big difference between a thread with pics and a gallery.

Nicely said Scott.

Comment

Scott
                  +100

A gallery is a major part of our site for very obvious reasons.
                  A gallery needs all the features you mentioned.

We currently use PhotoPost vBgallery.
                  We may migrate to DBtech's Gallery Pro if it will have a vB5 version as PhotoPost seem to be very slow at doing anything.

While I like the new photo system in vB5 (subject to some improvements) it does not cut it as a true gallery.

Kym
                  environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                  Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

Originally posted by AusPhotography View Post
                    +100

We may migrate to DBtech's Gallery Pro if it will have a vB5 version as PhotoPost seem to be very slow at doing anything.

While I like the new photo system in vB5 (subject to some improvements) it does not cut it as a true gallery.

Kym
                    We also used PhotoPost vBgallery and it did seem to take forever for them to update the software to run on vB4. I would image it will again when vB 5 goes gold.
                    IMHO IB missed a golden opportunity here. A more robust/social (out of the box) photo feature would have greatly enhanced vB 5 Connect.

Comment

Scott
                      I agree its not a gallery, in fact no where near what a gallery would have in it. However for many peoples purposes (including my own) it completely removes the need for one. Just from a personal point of view I need users to be able to look at the images that are being posted up, all in one place and this system does that. In fact I prefer it as it means that people are creating more topics rather than simply posting an image into a gallery and walking away. So can see from some points of view they would need something more, however from others this feature is just excellent, and personally I think my members are gonna love it.
                      Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

Originally posted by AusPhotography View Post
                        +100

Kym
                        This.

If vBulletin offers an official dedicated gallery addon for vB5 connect then it will truly be awesome, I am sure many people would convert from other competitors to the vB supported one. I'd even pay for yearly updates too.

I hope something like this will be taken in consideration, many forums and communities could use a quality gallery mod.

Of course we have to wait for them to finish the CMS, but afterwards it's something they should check out.
                        The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

I would encourage people to take a look at my suggestion here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-3290

It is being considered for future versions, I think it would address a majority of the gallerylike issues we're having now

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post

It is being considered for future versions, I think it would address a majority of the gallerylike issues we're having now
                            I already voted for this. Let's see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post

Voted.

Comment

Does a dedicated gallery make sense, if the direction is content types and some kind of structured query builder?

I think that has been alluded to in a few ways, with custom content types ect. So you would, I think, in the future use that to make your own gallery with the fields available. We already have things like easily building grids and layouts and changing them per page/section ect...

A gallery is not far off with a few improvements in custom content types.

Maybe I am missing something here... I suspect this method would not be a powerful as a dedicated Gallery mod.... but it might do for a lot of people.
                                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment