Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe Forums Site Are Condemned to death and vbulletin team know that?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This thread is not about riots or communication during them. It is about vBulletin 5 and the role of forums in the future. Since people can't get it back on topic, it needs to be closed.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    Originally posted by acwatts View Post
    You have proof I take it. Forums will not die, information is information people will want it no matter how it's displayed to them. Wikipedia is a source of information are they going to die too just because of facefart and twatter. They might have there uses but they will probably die long before forums will. Just wait for the next big internet craze/site that everyone talks about then see how popular FB/Twitter are.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ack-riots.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...terms-yet.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/28...-to-catch-him/

What proof were you looking for? Proof that the police use social networks to track criminals? Proof that criminals use social networks? Proof that even though BBM is encrypted RIM cooperates with law enforcement to report criminal activity? That there are stupid people who continue to post incriminating or illegal activity info on social networks? Its not hard to find because it happens all the time.

With Wikipedia, I don't see how that would disprove my point that a forum is a source of information, but that doesn't automatically make it a community with interaction. If you want your forum to be a Wiki, then have at it, there are a million Wikis out there and you don't need to use vbulletin software to make one.

Originally posted by rhens View Post
    adapt or die...

heard that before? yes, the traditional forum has a place going forward, but it must update its look in order to attract new users and keep the old ones interested. twitter and facebook has its defects...that much is obvious, but they also possess a new format for its members to interact through. forum owners will have to find a way to use this new format in order to keep their forums fresh, and keep new users registering.

chevrolet sells a "volt". its the hot new thing that is supposed to be bigger than sliced bread. they have not, however, stopped selling corvettes. if the traditional forum is what you and your members want to stay with, then stick with 4.2. those moving to 5.0 are those who intend to move forward with the look and feel. i'm not suggesting there is a right way or a wrong way to approach this....it might even be smart for vB to continue the development of the 4.x software....just to offer buyers more than one option. the point is...this was a necessary change for vB to take. the fact that they are including forum owners more in the development of the 5.0 software only means that they are tapping a valuable resource as they chart new waters.

And VB has clearly chosen to adapt. They are moving further away from just forum software and more toward community building social networking software. I'm happy for the change and just hope that the development continues to be forward thinking and not backwards thinking with vb5
    Last edited by Solitaire; Mon 1 Oct '12, 7:26pm.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    A forum thread in the forum of a company that successfully sells forum software which poses the question as to whether or not forums are "dead?" The term for this is "concern trolling." Self-evidently, forums are not a dead venture. They become a dead venture for those who get into forum administration for specious reasons. It isn't about power over membership or making money from ad revenue. It's about having a passion for your forums and their discussions and the membership who shares your passion for the discussion topics, whether that membership be infinitesimally small or infinitely large. Ultimately, all the bells and whistles and smoke and mirrors wear off and all that is left for your members is whether or not you as the administrator care. One hell of a lot of blood, sweat, and tears go into forums. Believe in yourself and your forums and they will never die. Only those who do not believe will die, and why would you want them around in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• acwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Solitaire View Post
    I guess people are pretty stupid because they didn't just use Blackberry Messenger, and they do use facebook and twitter for illegal activity all the time.
    You have proof I take it. Forums will not die, information is information people will want it no matter how it's displayed to them. Wikipedia is a source of information are they going to die too just because of facefart and twatter. They might have there uses but they will probably die long before forums will. Just wait for the next big internet craze/site that everyone talks about then see how popular FB/Twitter are.

Leave a comment:

• rhens
    replied
    adapt or die...

heard that before? yes, the traditional forum has a place going forward, but it must update its look in order to attract new users and keep the old ones interested. twitter and facebook has its defects...that much is obvious, but they also possess a new format for its members to interact through. forum owners will have to find a way to use this new format in order to keep their forums fresh, and keep new users registering.

chevrolet sells a "volt". its the hot new thing that is supposed to be bigger than sliced bread. they have not, however, stopped selling corvettes. if the traditional forum is what you and your members want to stay with, then stick with 4.2. those moving to 5.0 are those who intend to move forward with the look and feel. i'm not suggesting there is a right way or a wrong way to approach this....it might even be smart for vB to continue the development of the 4.x software....just to offer buyers more than one option. the point is...this was a necessary change for vB to take. the fact that they are including forum owners more in the development of the 5.0 software only means that they are tapping a valuable resource as they chart new waters.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    I think you will find it was Blackberry messenger users who coordinated the riots. You would have to be pretty stupid to organize illegal activity via a traceable source.
    I guess people are pretty stupid because they didn't just use Blackberry Messenger, and they do use facebook and twitter for illegal activity all the time.

Leave a comment:

• klaus
    replied
    Facebook = Walmart
    Forum = Boutique specialty store

Leave a comment:

• acwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Solitaire View Post
    So is that why the UK riots were coordinated through twitter and facebook?
    I think you will find it was Blackberry messenger users who coordinated the riots. You would have to be pretty stupid to organize illegal activity via a traceable source.
    Last edited by acwatts; Fri 28 Sep '12, 8:13am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I would agree with Rudedog1968 here.

There are three levels of content in the default vBulletin 5.

Forums - All the forum functionality you're used to and these are for the discussions that will last over time.

Blogs - Medium term discussions and news events should be covered by blogs. For instance a car forum might blog on new car releases but discussing the features of those cars is probably better in the forums.

Groups - These are for the niches within the niche of a personal community site.

Facebook and Twitter can be important but this is more about advertising your site and hoping your stuff goes viral. When it does, then you get more visitors, more ad views and over time more click-thrus. vBulletin isn't really trying to be Facebook or Twitter. Just enhance the way people submit content.

Some people have suggested status updates and other quick fly by the minute content in the activity stream. The jury is still out on that though.

Leave a comment:

• rudedog1968
    replied
    As I've said it before, if your forums are based around real time news then you and your forums are in trouble. If your forums are based around a specific topic you have nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    "The forum", won't die in the near future. It fills a gap between Facebook/Twitter on the one hand (those are examples for platforms that are made to publish information in a very quick but not very reflected way), and blogs on the other hand (which is an example for a media where at least some longer thinking process has happened before posting – or at least should have ). It is not as topic focussed as a post on those social networks, but it usually won't reach as far as a blog or some website that covers some wide spreaded information. If I was putting this web 2.0 media in a line, it would probably look like this:

Facebook/Twitter – Forum – Blog – Website

Maybe I am wrong with my estimation, maybe not. But at least that is what it looks like for me, if I focus on the fact on how reflective and up-to-date the information usually is on those different platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Solitaire
    replied
    What utter trash, I have no social media on my site, no facebook button, no twitter button, no groups, no blogs. When people want info they search Google, not twitter or Facefart. Forums allow you to categorize your content for easy finding. I never use FB or Twitter when I'm looking for info, is that because it's mainly people talking such crap that Google does not even bother to make use of their content. I even tried pulling content from twitter to my site but that ends up people talking crap so not really worth pulling. Most people who join my forum came from Google or heard about my forum on another forum.
    Social media is just people talking rubbish, it's just like going to the pub, where as a forum is like going to the library when you require some useful information.
    Most people I know who use Facefart are using it just to chat with friends nothing more. A UK based website running vbulletin recently sold for £87m I wonder if a single Facebook group will ever sell for that kind of money.
    So is that why the UK riots were coordinated through twitter and facebook? Is that why people watched the overthrow of the Egyptian government happening in real time over their twitter statuses? Is that why US viewers of the London Olympics were pissed at NBC for their taped delays because they could find out the results of every major event on twitter hours before? Why every major cable network pimps their official twitter, and not their forum throughout every show's broadcast? Why twitter advertising revenue doubled over the past year when they created mobile ad space, and they didn't have to raise their ad rates? Why Google automatically indexes all tweets into its search engine? Why Google is now trying to make mobile ads more accessible to its advertisers because of twitter's success?

Seriously, quit your rage rant and look at the facts. The climate is changing and it is not in favor of the forum. Also, I did say "People come to forums for information, and tutorials, but that doesn't automatically make them part of the community. They take that information back elsewhere and post to their facebooks, twitters and blogs, and discuss it there." So I never discounted the forum as an information source at all, you just didn't read what I wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jdj View Post
    I don't see the forum format dying; if I want the answer to something I'm most likely to find it on a forum somewhere, and I'm most likely to find it via Google. However, we do get people to come back to our site from some Facebook groups and occasionally from Twitter.
    That's the thing. You may find the information you are looking for on a forum, but do you automatically join that forum? Do you become a part of that forum? There is lots of useful information on forums, but not everyone who is searching Google for information they find on your forum is going to outright join it and start contributing.

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    Social media is just people talking rubbish, it's just like going to the pub, where as a forum is like going to the library when you require some useful information.
    I agree with this: The thing about a forum is that you can have layers of privacy where people can put more considered and useful discussion in the forum. Those names "...blog, article, news..." are really just about managing people's expectations about what kind of content they're going to see.

I don't see the forum format dying; if I want the answer to something I'm most likely to find it on a forum somewhere, and I'm most likely to find it via Google. However, we do get people to come back to our site from some Facebook groups and occasionally from Twitter.

I'm open minded about vB5 Connect, I like the idea of it "doing SEO" for you and making the most of your content, but the truth is until the CMS, or something allowing us to use the content in our present CMS, and the calendar are back in there then we won't be able to do much with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Yesterday I purchased vB5 and spent a day learning about some of the new features. I must say that I'm very impressed. The vB5 demo page does a great injustice to the product.

Here's an example that shows the power of vB5, it's an instruction page that explains how to create an About Us tab for your navigation bar:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...e-Site-Builder

In vB4 this was extremely difficult to do. Also note that a custom tab (aka Page) can be setup to call a PHP script. This will make customizing your forum much easier than it ever was in vB4.
    Looks interesting and positive, even if the beta version doesn't yet work at least there's some honesty in calling it a beta version and the finished product may be better than what we have today. The fact remains though that if you've populated your vB4 site with content you'll kill it off by upgrading to vB5 at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TundraSoul View Post
    The best and most successful are those that embrace all aspects of what makes a community successful. It begins with an admin who puts in an absurd amount of effort and time into developing their forum.
    That's correct, and that creates a back-catalogue of useful content which is more important than connecting to social media if that content can be found by people who value it. Having something built around a forum structure also gives you the freedom to have choice of content, some public, some private, some even private and paid for by subscription (some of the legal sites out there manage this successfully).

It's all about great content and if you can't make the most of your back catalogue you'll struggle to upgrade. So vB5 needs to have whatever it is that "channels" the vB4 CMS content back into the site, and it needs the calendar.

Leave a comment:

• Deimos
    replied
    Social media to me, is basically instant messaging, on a website rather than a client.

Forums will always be the sources of information, like acwatts said, a library

Leave a comment:

• manebe
    replied
    Social media is just people talking rubbish, it's just like going to the pub, where as a forum is like going to the library when you require some useful information. Most people I know who use Facefart are using it just to chat with friends nothing more. A UK based website running vbulletin recently sold for £87m I wonder if a single Facebook group will ever sell for that kind of money.
    I would send your wise words to the vBulletin marketing department.

I would also kindly require the vBulletin marketing head to come here and explain us what is vB5 for ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X