Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if a thread is moved to another forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    If you rename a forum in both places, Channel Manager and Site Builder, the URL, breadcrumb and topic links show the new name. The only issue is that any links to topics which have been copied to other websites or to other posts within your own forum still show the old name in the link.

Leave a comment:

• querschlaeger
    replied
    What happen with the url and breadcrumb of threads when you rename the channel name?

Leave a comment:

• xlguy
    replied
    Interesting, so if you move a thread between sub-forums, the forum name in the URL doesn't change - right?

That needs to be addressed, otherwise (from a URL point of view) it's not going to be obvious that a thread (topic) has been moved.

Leave a comment:

• Dead Eddie
    replied
    Seems like there are a few bugs in the system yet.

It does canonicalize the URLs based on the forum (the original moved post updated the URL), but swapping categories didn't update the URL. Additionally, in my example, there's no section named "Sample Category", and there wasn't one when ANY threads were posted. So, the fact that it's holding onto the old section name in the URL is another bug.

However, if you go in and manually update the URL to a different category, it redirects you to the correct category. So, the system will attempt to prevent incorrect URLs from being indexed (didn't look at the HTTP status code when I watched it happen, so I don't know if it's a 301 or a 302).

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    So if we move a topic to another forum, clicking a link that has the URL of the original forum location has the effect of showing the topic in a category and or forum which it is no longer is located. Is this correct?
    At this time. I am going to have to talk to the developers and see why this happens this way. I don't think it should.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    When you move a thread to another channel, its original URL does not change by default. It just appears in the other channel.

Not really sure if this actually desired behavior or not myself.
    Originally posted by Dead Eddie View Post
    Indeed. I've moved the linked thread above to a new category/forum. Neither the URL, nor the breadcrumbs, have updated.
    So if we move a topic to another forum, clicking a link that has the URL of the original forum location has the effect of showing the topic in a category and or forum which it is no longer is located. Is this correct?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    So if I understand correctly.

Channels are containers: Forums, Blogs, Social Groups, Albums, Private Messages are ALL channels.

Categories group different forums.

Forums are Forums. We can also have Sub-Forums.

Topics are what we used to call threads.

Posts are Posts.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Channels are containers... Forums, Blogs, Social Groups, Albums, Private Messages are ALL channels. For organization purposes the system comes with several "Super" Channels, no other word for them. These are Homepage (root node in every system), Forum, Blog, Social Groups and Special.

Categories are just like Categories in vBulletin 4... They are containers with a bit set that says "oh look at me I am a category."

Topics are threads.. Threads really never fit. Thread is used for sewing.

Posts are posts or referred to as replies.

Leave a comment:

• Dead Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    When you move a thread to another channel, its original URL does not change by default. It just appears in the other channel.

Indeed. I've moved the linked thread above to a new category/forum. Neither the URL, nor the breadcrumbs, have updated.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Hi Wayne,

I'm a bit confused to the new terms used in vB5. Is this correct translation -> vB4/vB5

Category = Channel
    Forum = Forum
    Thread = Topic
    Post = Post

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks Eddie.

Could you try one more test please. I see you have a "sample-category". Could you create another category and try the same test. Meaning that is if you move a thread from to another forum which is in another category will the old link still find the new location.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Thanks Eddie.

Could you try one more test please. I see you have a "sample-category". Could you create another category and try the same test. Meaning that is if you move a thread from to another forum which is in another category will the old link still find the new location.

Leave a comment:

• Dead Eddie
    replied
    Here ya go:

http://www.arikpeterson.com/vbulleti...hould-be-moved

The linked post in that thread is pointed to a moved thread's old URL. It redirects appropriately.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Thank you soniceffect. I'll be very interested to see if it becomes a dead link.

Leave a comment: