Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if a thread is moved to another forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soniceffect
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Could someone with a vB5 demo try this.

1) Copy the URL of a thread and paste it into another thread post
    2) Move the thread (the one you copied the link) to another forum
    3) At this point the URL will have changed when you view the thread
    4) Go back to the thread where you copied the original URL
    5) Clicking on that link, does it work?
    Will try it now for you and let you know the result

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Could someone with a vB5 demo try this.

1) Copy the URL of a thread and paste it into another thread post
    2) Move the thread (the one you copied the link) to another forum
    3) At this point the URL will have changed when you view the thread
    4) Go back to the thread where you copied the original URL
    5) Clicking on that link, does it work?

Leave a comment:

• Marco Mamdouh
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Hi Marco,

Thank you for checking. Could you provide an example of a URL of a thread before and after the move.
    With my pleasure

I was trying a bug in URLs for this thread : https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2338409

So I created a new thread with "Diseño Gráfico" in the title to check the bug, That's was yesterday, Now after seeing your thread I've created a new channel "vbfoster" and moved "Diseño Gráfico" to it and the same node id is used for sure.

Check the screen-shot in attachments.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco Mamdouh View Post
    It's identified by node id not by the channel id, So it will NEVER change the node id after moving the threads, I've tried it now on the latest beta version.
    Hi Marco,

Thank you for checking. Could you provide an example of a URL of a thread before and after the move.

My concern is what happens to backlinks, will they still work if a thread is moved to another forum. Remember the old forum path would still be in the URL.

Leave a comment:

• Marco Mamdouh
    replied
    It's identified by node id not by the channel id, So it will NEVER change the node id after moving the threads, I've tried it now on the latest beta version.

Leave a comment:

• Merjawy
    replied
    Where did you try to move it to? Make sure the forum you're moving the thread to is active/open forum and not category.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by liamwli View Post
    I assume vBulletin only looks at the number (which happens to be the thread ID), and will redirect to wherever that thread may be.
    I tried that, but if I remove for example computers from the following URL:

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/technology/computers/252-iphone-5-interested

I get a the following error message:

"That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

Leave a comment:

• liamwli
    replied
    I assume vBulletin only looks at the number (which happens to be the thread ID), and will redirect to wherever that thread may be.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    started a topic What happens if a thread is moved to another forum?

What happens if a thread is moved to another forum?

What happens if the admin moves a thread to another forum? For example the following URL:

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/technology/computers/252-iphone-5-interested

What happens if someone posts this link somewhere and the admin later decides the thread belongs in another forum, will the old link become dead?