Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin Connect (social network) should not be vBulletin 5 (social community)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pokesph View Post
    vB5 NEEDS to be a discussion board, a forum, using modern coding
    That is what I was waiting from a new vBulletin, a modern coding:
    faster, cleaner, HTML 5, a good photo/video gallery (shame on us, even paying an expensive licence, we should use some plugin on vB4 in order to have a decent gallery).

vB5 looks slower, not fully HTML 5, not a specific module for albums, pics location is (in my opinion) confusing, blogs entries are similar to forums entries (do you really think a user is willing to create a blog that way), tons of ajax/javascript.

Not willing to upgrade for my existing community (content),
    neither to buy a licence for a new social network project (sorry to say here, Elgg looks much better!).

You need to clear you mind, actually vB5 is a "tutti frutti" and nothing at the same time.
    Last edited by manebe; Fri 14th Sep '12, 1:25am.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderT View Post
      What I meant to say: I can now see that it might be true that this is what they believe.
      I'm tired of saying, those thing can be modules just like IPB does, whoever needs them will get and use. But most vB users are vanila forum users. I know a half of dosen guys and girls that bought suit, at the moment the portal is off and couple of dosen blogs have 2-3 entry, all the content is in forum itself. Why? The aswer is simple those are more or less serious projects, users are not teenagers to run a bloggy. And who ever runs a serious blog could and would afford to run in on own web-site with own domain-name with own ads to make own visitors and own money. It's not 90s anymore.

The business analyst in vB should get a lesson from IPB and training from IKEA lol. Sell that modules alone and you will make more money. In additional to that rest of the customers would be happy to keep there discussion boards clean of redundancy.

Comment

A few days ago Wayne stated that most of IB's customers don't use forums. I was baffled as you can imagine. Now I see that this might actually be true...
        Oh I do really love it when people take quotes out of context. For reference, Wayne and Myself spend a large portion of our time talking to new customers, especially the ones who purchase phone support. Of those is often new customers. They often want a whole website solution when purchasing our software. I know its hard to believe this, when all you may want is vBulletin. But it is the truth. Many sales tickets are also asking us the same questions, how can I build a website with vBulletin 4 Publishing suite.

We even get a few people who ask us how to disable the forums, believe it or not.

Comment

A few days ago Wayne stated that most of IB's customers don't use forums. I was baffled as you can imagine. Now I see that this might actually be true...
          Actually the statement was "Dont build forums" which is a completely different statement. And actually I agree. People these days build sites, not forums. Most have other content, whether it be blogs, portal pages, galleries, arcades, and much more. If this was not the case then there would not be a "Major additions" section within vbulletin.org.

I believe you like it anyways. I've misquoted you below

when I visited again today I was marveled at the beauty of it
          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Oh I do really love it when people take quotes out of context. For reference, Wayne and Myself spend a large portion of our time talking to new customers, especially the ones who purchase phone support. Of those is often new customers. They often want a whole website solution when purchasing our software. I know its hard to believe this, when all you may want is vBulletin. But it is the truth. Many sales tickets are also asking us the same questions, how can I build a website with vBulletin 4 Publishing suite.

We even get a few people who ask us how to disable the forums, believe it or not.
            Sorry Zachery, but that sounds like vB does not market and or explain their products well enough. I would also assume, since you don't give refunds the customers are trying to work with what they have downloaded.

I guess that also answers the questions on why phone support is now a $199 option. Again if vB would be up front with customers, tell them exactly what they are getting and when, have a clear road map and release a working products the first time, support would be spending less time with customers on the phone.
            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

There are people building whole websites off of vBulletin: www.mmo-champion.com is a great example. I think we market and explain our products well enough upfront esp to anyone who asks. I certainly have never told a customer something was possible in the stock software where it wasn't.

Phone support is now cheaper than it has ever been.

Comment

Many sales tickets are also asking us the same questions, how can I build a website with vBulletin 4 Publishing suite.

He we go, no more forums, poor customers doesn't know where to get a proper CMS so they are forced to buy vBulletin 4 Publishing suite and disable the forum. Why the company doesn't start a complitly new product called vBCMS if the demand is so hight?

It's like I go to bakery and ask for milk.

Are you seriouos Zachery? There is something wrong if you start to have such customers

And in opposite to what is going right now with vB. I'm going to bakery to get a bred. But there is a whole circus in bakery: acrobats; fakirs; animals; orchestra and a baloon on the top of tha. To get a bread I have to walk trough all that noisy crowd. And when I get it it will be a big question is it still eatable? Or shall I just quit using that bakery.
                Last edited by zascok; Fri 14th Sep '12, 4:44am.

Comment

I'm not sure why you doubt what I have to say. I'm certainly not going to lie about what our customers are saying to us.

I have had a number of customers over the last 3 years ask how to disable the forum portion of the vBulletin software as they were happy with the blogs/cms.

Comment

There are people building whole websites off of vBulletin: www.mmo-champion.com is a great example. I think we market and explain our products well enough upfront esp to anyone who asks. I certainly have never told a customer something was possible in the stock software where it wasn't.

Phone support is now cheaper than it has ever been.

Zachery, I never said you or any of the other support guys made these premisses or told customers something was possible that wasn't.

I think you hit the nail on it's head when you said, "I think we market and explain our products well enough upfront esp to anyone who asks." That's the point of the front page of vB. Customers shouldn't have to ask, it should be right there.

In regards to people having to ask, is it after they purchased the products or before? Again after purchasing a product, they have no choice but to use it as they can't get a refund.

If anything, I think most if not all of us here complaining about vB5 can agree on one thing, it's the support guys are great and they try their best. It's the rest of the company that is terrible. They should be here giving feedback so you and the rest of the support team, don't have to get frustrated at the paying customers complaining about the products they have purchased from vB.
                    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

Sometimes they ask before, sometimes they ask after. It really doesn't matter when they ask, but the fact their asking means something of itself.

Comment

I'm not sure why you doubt what I have to say. I'm certainly not going to lie about what our customers are saying to us.

I have had a number of customers over the last 3 years ask how to disable the forum portion of the vBulletin software as they were happy with the blogs/cms.
                        I didn't say you are liying. I said that one has to be out of order to buy a forum soft and disable it. Also I said I don't belive you marketing top-managers would let it go like that if the demands was hight enough. vB would have now at list a standalone CMS under own brand.

So this leeds me to belive that there were couple of customers that used vB with no forum but it's not a reason to force all others to use vB like that. And sertanly not a reason to ditch all customers that bough vB beacause it Used to Be the Best Forum Software.

Comment

People have been asking this question for years, lots of people asked us in the vB3 days if you could do a whole site around vBulletin, and they could then too with enough time and effort. We certainly weren't marketing the product back then as a whole site solution.

Comment

I was one of those who asked because vBa is good but wasn't enough. I didn't mean squash all together. Make it like modules and let us choose what to build around the forum

Comment

You do know that is mostly the entire concept of the site builder? Modules, drag and drop, etc?

Comment

I know in the early days of v3.x a lot of people where asking for a CMS (I was one of them) or something to that effect, so they could use vB as their front page as well as forums.

TBH that was one of the big selling points for me when I purchased vB4 during the pre sale. I was excited to have a real CMS that would be tied closely to the forums. Only to be let down by the product, promises and lack of any real interaction from the product managers running the show back then.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X