X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    I think the whole problem with vB5 is that developers don't really know what AJAX really is. They are confused. To load ALL CONTENT after the page is loaded, really?. This bloats the whole page and defeats the whole AJAX purpose. What they should do is load content the user "asked for". For example those "tabs". Instead of loading them ALL, load the first one and then load the second one when the user clicks on it. Sorry to knock your developers but I failed to see their competence. Am I right to assume Kevin Sours was the lead guy who "invented or re-invented the wheel"?
    They know what AJAX is... There are some issues and some things that need to be corrected in the current implementation but they know what it is.

Leave a comment:

• ShyGuy82
    replied
    I think the whole problem with vB5 is that developers don't really know what AJAX really is. They are confused. To load ALL CONTENT after the page is loaded, really?. This bloats the whole page and defeats the whole AJAX purpose. What they should do is load content the user "asked for". For example those "tabs". Instead of loading them ALL, load the first one and then load the second one when the user clicks on it. Sorry to knock your developers but I failed to see their competence. Am I right to assume Kevin Sours was the lead guy who "invented or re-invented the wheel"?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Have you tried it on a mobile device or mobile sized browser window? Our responsive style is pretty nice.

Leave a comment:

• ThemeBone
    replied
    Trust me, I can't not even imagine how I could use "that" vb5 on any mobile device.

Even on a native laptop browser it's a mess already

Leave a comment:

• oldz442
    replied
    Originally posted by lovefords View Post
    I think vB5 acts clunky like a 1962 Oldsmobile with transmission problems.
    heyyy.

Fords suck BTW.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
    any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.
    If you pay peanuts, you get...

Leave a comment:

• rmwebs
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
    You really dont get 'it' do you?

Its not about slapping some more features on the thing. You need to start over. The ajax interface (if it can even be called that) is a mess. What fool thought it would be a good idea to 'fake' the ajax loading and then hide the content for a couple of seconds, to give the impression it was being loaded dynamically.

If you throw a few new modules on there it'll be the same pig with lipstick on it, but a bit fatter.

Leave a comment:

• sadiq6210
    replied
    The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
    It is better also to add more channels / forums / categories

Leave a comment:

• Lizard King
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.
    I am sorry Mark but why do you have to wait developers for months ? If the project is planned right max expected delay from dev teams is 2-3 week. Any longer period is not accepted for us and any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
    Oc course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
    Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.

Leave a comment:

• Lizard King
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.
    Of course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
    Last edited by Lizard King; Thu 13 Sep '12, 11:44pm.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan Klerks View Post
    I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?
    It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.

Leave a comment:

• Jan Klerks
    replied
    We realize this was a mistake.
    I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lovefords
    replied
    I think vB5 acts clunky like a 1962 Oldsmobile with transmission problems. It seems like it is holding/searching for information or script then all of a sudden it jerks into action, pauses, starts, then I get an error message, etc. I know the appearance can be changed but I kind of wonder why vB released it even in beta looking the way it does. They must produce an admincp demo before I would buy. Very disappointing. Especially after the latest very good improvements to vB4.

Leave a comment: