vB5 - a bug ridden mess!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slinky View Post
    You could say that but this release is being sold. Usually you don't sell what is less than a "release candidate" and I'm not sure why or how you could do so without at least finalizing what the product is. For example, if you buy vB 5 today, what features are you going to receive? What might not be included? I think that once you make a decision to sell a product the buyer needs to know what he/she is getting for the money he/she is paying.
    The fact that this is being sold is ridiculous even. Because we are being told, it's only a beta. Not meant to be used in production. Then why on earth is it being actively sold? Anyone who has an existing forum on 4.2 can't upgrade to this version because it doesn't even have infractions in place! How are you supposed to manage your members? No member lists, and all of your thread urls are going to change so you can forget about your site ranking. >.>
    Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

bug ridden?
      really..

if only this had been advertised as a beta product..

oh wait... it was
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
        bug ridden?
        really..

oh wait... it was
        Windows 8 is in pre-release beta right now, and I can get it for free. Vb is CHARGING for a pre-release beta version that is looks and feels more like an alpha. I think it is perfectly alright to comment that this beta is bug ridden by the fact that they are charging full price for the opportunity to test the beta.
        Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

Originally posted by BlogTwits
          So why on earth release it and ask for money? Leave it in the hands of the beta team until they have a finished product. Or at least one that would be worthy of running in a live environment after a few tweaks.

The pricing is crap too.
          people will complain about everything
          don't allow people to download the beta and they will complain
          allow them to download the beta and help test, and obviously they will complain

no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to purchase BETA software... at least none that I saw

Comment

Originally posted by BlogTwits
            ^ No. But when I followed the link in the hyperbole filled email I opened this morning, I expected more. A lot more.
            It's your right to expect whatever you want, I'm not arguing that.
            I'm saying it's clearly marked as beta so...

Comment

Well, looking at JIRA there are over 500 bugs approved on staging. Its a mystery to me why they release this beta before those bug fixes have been implemented.

Its amazing BTW that the vBS devs are able to squash 500+ bugs in such a short amount of time. I wish they had allocated the same manpower to vb4.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                Well, looking at JIRA there are over 500 bugs approved on staging. Its a mystery to me why they release this beta before those bug fixes have been implemented.

Its amazing BTW that the vBS devs are able to squash 500+ bugs in such a short amount of time. I wish they had allocated the same manpower to vb4.
                How much of that is manpower as opposed to the new code base?

I think the thing people should be looking at is how much it changes over the next month before they flip the bozo bit on this.

Just looking at the progress made in 4 over the last few months, then this should be much faster... theoretically.
                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
                  You could say that but this release is being sold. Usually you don't sell what is less than a "release candidate" and I'm not sure why or how you could do so without at least finalizing what the product is..
                  Do they even use release candidate anymore. I don't remember it for 4.0. Last RC I remember is in the 3 series

IB got it backwards. They should of had all hands on deck to finish, 4.x instead of all hands on deck for 5.0.

Comment

Ummm. That means they have been implemented.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

bug ridden?
                      really..

oh wait... it was
                      Ok, lets put asside this childish 'us verses them' attitude for just a second here Loco.

First off, a public beta is generally only conducted after a product has gone through multiple pre-alpha, alpha and internal beta tests. These are generally done by the developers along with an internal quality assurance team.

During each round of tests, obviously bugs are reported to the developers, who fix all known bugs before moving onto the next stage.

You sometimes leave maybe one or two trivial issues between builds that you are either waiting for someone else to action, or requires additional work on another part of the system before it can be fixed.

Now. What vB has done is completely against this. The developers have built something, and its clearly had very minimal testing (most likely the devs just building something, checking it works ok and moving on - we all do it). The stage they seem to have completely skipped over is the internal builds and any form of alpha testing.

What we have here is an alpha grade product, with LESS features than vB4, and they are charging you for the privilege of being their beta testers.

You still with me?

This is the bottom line: We are being asked to pay a huge price for a product that:
                      1) Is not finished
                      2) Is not even close to finished
                      3) Has no release date
                      4) Has no guarantee that it will have certain features
                      5) Has no guarantee that it'll ever be finished
                      6) Has no support without paying extra for it
                      7) Is very poorly planned (e.g the primary key changing meaning vb4 > vb5 boards will loose the uniqueid's associated with each post and thread meaning broken links everywhere and a massive drop in the search engine ranks)
                      8) Has some strange (broken) new styling which falsely implies its loading content through ajax when it is in fact loading EVERYTHING and then hiding it, before a javascript counter holds a 'loading' box on the page and then re-displays the content...by which time you could have already gone through to the thread you wanted.

Sorry Loco but I'm going to ask you to stop sipping the vB koolaid for just a second. Before coming back at me with some highly irrelevant and smarmy remark, think for just a second...and try not to make yourself look silly. Realistically no forum owner who cares about their community will even consider vB5 in its current state.

The phrase lipstick on a pig seems to be fairly appropriate for vB5.

Comment

people will complain about everything
                        don't allow people to download the beta and they will complain
                        allow them to download the beta and help test, and obviously they will complain

no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to purchase BETA software... at least none that I saw
                        I don't recall people complained about very much at all when Xenforo got released.
                        Sorry but there does seem to be an awful lot more to complain about than you would expect from a $$$ beta release.
                        Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
                        vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

Originally posted by rmwebs View Post
                          You still with me?
                          not really..

Sorry Loco but I'm going to ask you to stop sipping the vB koolaid for just a second. Before coming back at me with some highly irrelevant and smarmy remark, think for just a second...and try not to make yourself look silly.
                          You think I'm the one that's looking silly,, ya okay.
                          Realistically no forum owner who cares about their community will even consider vB5 in its current state.
                          I would never suggest any website owner to upgrade their production site to a beta product.

Originally posted by Spinball View Post
                          I don't recall people complained about very much at all when Xenforo got released.
                          Comparing a brand new, very small script, to the legacy that is vbulletin isn't a fair comparison but you may very well be right.
                          Sorry but there does seem to be an awful lot more to complain about than you would expect from a $$$ beta release.
                          There will always be something to complain about no matter how things are presented.

Again no one is being forced to purchase anything, you always have options.

Comment

Again no one is being forced to purchase anything, you always have options.
                            IB should put that on the vB5 purchase page, along with a link to the beta and this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                              Ummm. That means they have been implemented.
                              Please explain. AFAIK approved on staging, means that the fix is ready, but the sprint is not implemented. These 513 fixes are in upcoming releases and marked as unresolved.
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

Fixes are implemented and placed in a beta build. That build is used to create staging servers. The fix is then "Deployed to Staging". If the fix is approved then it goes to "Approved on Staging". Otherwise, it is reopened and kicked back to development.

Currently QA is working on the Beta 10 release. Tonight there may be a Beta 11 release they get etc...
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment