Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am really not trying to be negative..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mondy
    replied
    Originally posted by rudedog1968 View Post
    I'm really surprised at how many people have purchased vB5..
    What tells you this, rudedog? Did you find stats on this published somewhere? Would like to know who is and isn't going for vB5..

    Honestly, I am still on the fence here. I have a still somewhat underutilized 4.2 forum, which I could possibly switch to vB5 just to give it a chance. What stops me from doing this isn't the technical issues that must clearly be ironed out, but the pricing.

    May I make a suggestion here: I've got fairly good ideas on what must change technically and design-wise in vB5 for it to adopt the "Whow!" status I expected. Much of the info that drive my ideas are already mentioned in this thread ad nauseum, so there's little to no point regurgitating them.

    What I miss though is tough opinions on pricing. Clearly, those who've taken the vB5 plunge weren't bothered about the price ticket, but there's clearly loads of 'unrest' and discontent about that among the what seems hardcore vB users. My approach to that will simply be based on comparatative analysis between vB and alternatives which, in turn, will drive my decision on whether to stay or go with vB.

    Irrespective whether the price is 'right' or wrong, which is of course worth a discussion by itself, the real 'baffle' for me is the discount offered to long-running customers - those who stood by vBulletin for, say, five years or more. The $40 offered amounts to roughly 20% of the new price, which, on paper, seems a reasonable amount - but only for a product that can be trusted as properly functional and as a ready-to-go, out-of-box solution.

    Here, I sense, sits the snag that IB's price-setting economists, marketers and accountants may fail to see. Pricing for this version is no longer about adding margins to the product's known and expected landing costs to maintain bottom lines but about retaining and holding onto a what seems dwindling advocacy. It's arguably no longer about replenishing old and disgruntled clients with new customers, but about preserving and maintaining long-term credibility of brand. Of course, I can only fall back on statistics on this that aren't much detailed than what's already known publicly - which, admittedly, is precious little in any case - so I confess to be shooting mostly off-hip here.

    Assuming that 'Nill' won't cut much mustard with IB as an appropriate charge for vB5, and $200 is considered too much by the afore mentioned long-running customer group - what, then, should be a more 'satisfying' price and payment arrangement?

    The way I interpret vB5 is that it isn't a product yet that warrants a price point that's on-par with what's offered by vB's competitors, chiefly because the latter are complete, fully functional and well-supported turn-key products, which simply isn't what's offered by vB - yet. Investing $200 in vB5 now while hoping that it will eventually give access to a product that does warrant this price point puts all risks on investors - customers - and practically none on IB. That simply is a bizarre way to market a brand, and one that - with all respect to those who purchased vB5 - will only be accepted by those who are perhaps very new to vB, but likely not by those who've lived through vB4.x's chronicles.

    While I am not sold on the product yet, I certainly am not sold on the price either. To throw one more perspective in the mix before closing this post, consider $40 discount a value that's earned in less that 30 minutes by even the most average of full-time employed coders. Then consider how much time we, customers, are already spending on feeding what often seem bleedingly-obvious information back to vB to help its development teams produce acceptable software - betting that's more than 30 minutes per 'loyal' client. Combine this with the amount of time we may have to spend on making the product work once purchased, that $40 seems a rather negligible and most unconvincing, uncompelling and nonsense deduction.

    Thanks for reading this, if you did. I am attempting to keep things positive and constructive, but for that to last vB may have to throw a bit more of its own skin in the game, at least to keep me as a customer.

    Leave a comment:


  • AbruzzoMeteo
    replied
    Originally posted by iyama View Post
    Legaly the must refund you.
    You made a internet buy.
    I made the big mistake to buy it. They're not refunding since i donwloaded it, which it is not making really sense.
    "Hello,

    As per our license agreement, once the software has been downloaded we're unable to offer a refund.


    All the best,"

    Leave a comment:


  • rudedog1968
    replied
    I'm really surprised at how many people have purchased vB5.

    I guess this is why they hide the demo page under "learn more". I guess someone was smart enough to make it hard for potential customer to try the great alpha 10 demo.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ramsesx
    replied
    Must be a bad day for Bob. First he saw all the new sales in his balance chart and the next day all the refunds coming in.

    Leave a comment:


  • iyama
    replied
    Originally posted by DFORMS View Post
    I will be continuing development on my VB4 test site and forgetting VB5 unless they decide to release something decent. For now I asked for a refund on the VB5 upgrade only and I hope they will understand.
    Legaly the must refund you.
    You made a internet buy.

    Leave a comment:


  • DFORMS
    replied
    I will be continuing development on my VB4 test site and forgetting VB5 unless they decide to release something decent. For now I asked for a refund on the VB5 upgrade only and I hope they will understand.

    Leave a comment:


  • craigvm
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    But he bought already two licenses. I'm sure you can use vB4 for the next 2 years without a problem. After that he can make a new decision.
    he can use it for life the license dont expire ,i`d just try for refund on vb5 and use vb4.2 witch i think is a great product now i cant comment on what it was when released as only used it for 2 months and im happy to stay on 4.2 for good now

    Leave a comment:


  • 14DH01
    replied
    my friends from vbulletin team made ​​a backup of this forum also expect you to leave the ship before it is too late

    Leave a comment:


  • DFORMS
    replied
    I emailed VB for a refund and I guess I'll be using 4.2 for now. Anyways, I really don't want to keep being off topic : s

    Leave a comment:


  • iyama
    replied
    Originally posted by DFORMS View Post
    Payed with Paypal and I will probably ask for a refund.
    At here we have buyers protection at Paypal, just fill that in and ask refund
    Just fill in that you have payed for a beta instead of a realy 100% upgrade product.
    And mail also vb and write a letter for a refund.

    And pas paypal this url to look at it.
    Maybe the are blocking further payments to vb.

    Leave a comment:


  • 14DH01
    replied
    Originally posted by DFORMS View Post
    Is the support for VB4 really going to end?

    Payed with Paypal and I will probably ask for a refund.
    so do not lose time for opposition via paypal

    Leave a comment:


  • iyama
    replied
    Its just very easy to make vB on there knees and screaming.

    Don't buy or upgrade to vb5!
    In about 5 months the are shaming that the have promised so much but nothing sold!

    And the other forum software developers have a great time with new deals.
    Hello XF i have vb, get i a bigger discount if i choose XF?
    Yes you get a discount and support for 3 years.

    Boss vb: Sorry vb team, we can't pay your car and paycheck any more.

    Last edited by iyama; Thu 13th Sep '12, 2:27pm.

    Leave a comment:


  • DFORMS
    replied
    Is the support for VB4 really going to end?

    Payed with Paypal and I will probably ask for a refund.

    Leave a comment:


  • zero477
    replied
    The screen shots of vB5 make me think that the difference with vb4 is not very substancial. And the upgrade price seems ridiculous. I bought vb4 a month ago, I feel so stupid.

    I thought vB4 was going to be the best vBulletin product for at least some years.

    Now I feel that I can just wait some months to buy vB6.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by gfc View Post
    If you go to switch the forum software I wouldnt bet on a dead horse. Vb4 wont be developed actively anymore, even they say so. Because with this licencing model there is no interest in doing so.

    Research again, xenforo and ipb have both good products and there I see a future. vb is kinda dead. Look at all the comment from today. If you find 1 positive feedback in 100 posts about vb5, I really would be suprised.
    But he bought already two licenses. I'm sure you can use vB4 for the next 2 years without a problem. After that he can make a new decision.

    Leave a comment:

Related Topics

Collapse

Working...
X