No announcement yet.

VB5 Demo Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to add on to Waynes comments above regarding the latest activity module. I will give you another example of how you could use this with the site builder should you want to.

So for example you do not want the activity stream to show first. When someone comes to your site you want them to see the list of forums as before. You also want the activity stream, however your not quite happy somehow with it being on the same page, you want it in its own completely separate tab.

Steps for the above scenario would be as follows in site builder:

1. Edit main page.
    2. Edit Latest Activity module
    3. Uncheck the activity item and drag directory to the first item.
    4. Save

Thats your main page sorted. Now lets sort the new page for activity

1. Click on new page
    2. Add activity stream to the page
    3. Select your layout style
    4. Save page
    5. Type a page name "activity" and click ok

Add it to your navigation

1. Click on navigation bar
    2. Click add new navigation
    3. Type a name for your navigation link and the target URL of "activity" then save

So with no coding whatsoever you have now split up your activity stream and your forum listing. You could quite easily do several versions of them which are filtered for different things, usergroup controlled if you wish or with other modules included.
    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
      In German we use the word closer to topic actually, Thema, because thread doesn't translate at all. "Thread" is also a very common word in computer science, like in threaded process and hyper-threading and it is also defined in the dictionary as a group of messages about a certain topic in a usegroup (which forums are). (someone should update that definition). The point is, some terms seem to be changed in vB5 for the sake of trying to make it "newer". So unless topic doesn't cover any other use within other content types, it should stay thread. I post a thread to start a discussion about a topic in a forum. I don't post a topic to start a discussion about a topic in a forum.

Scott
      That is great if you're marketing to a bunch of computer scientists. Most communities are not marketed to computer scientists but to regular people.

To this date, we get support requests asking what threads are and why they can't be called something people will recognize better. Not really a change just to change. I actually suggested we change from Thread to Topic in the vBulletin 3 days because of the confusion. Keeping terminology for the sake of keeping it doesn't make sense either.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        You click on a pencil icon for the module... Uncheck 3 checkboxes. Click Save at the bottom.

The module now just shows Topics only.
        Oh good, you scared me for a moment because I misunderstood what you wrote.

Comment

• I don't mind the activity stream idea because I still use the old vBadvanced active threads which my users love. The problem with the vBulletin Connect activity stream is that it's hard to understand what content belongs to what post. In other words it just looks messy and unorganized. Hopefully it will get cleaned up and more defined. In fact, I prefer just a simple list of topic titles, but I realize that's old-school.

And yes... the new version seems amazingly slow. I was considering buying it in October and upgrading my old vBulletins. When I got the email that Connect was released I assumed it wasn't a BETA version. I don't understand why you would be marketing and selling a BETA version.

Hopefully this will all get worked out soon because I am interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            To this date, we get support requests asking what threads are and why they can't be called something people will recognize better. Not really a change just to change. I actually suggested we change from Thread to Topic in the vBulletin 3 days because of the confusion. Keeping terminology for the sake of keeping it doesn't make sense either.
            I asked quite some time ago if it was possible to change everywhere it says "thread" in VB to topic. It does make a lot more sense.

PS: A Topic in the UK is also the name of a chocolate bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by sadiq6210 View Post
              Beta11 released
              Well that would depend on what you mean by "released".

Its been built, and made available to QA.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                Well that would depend on what you mean by "released".

Its been built, and made available to QA.
                I mean no more issues will add to this release. It is shifted from (road map) to (change log)

From Jira it shows:
                5.0.0 Beta11
                Release Date: 17/Sep/12 Release Notes
                Signature test :)

Comment

• Originally posted by ericguttormson View Post
                  I don't mind the activity stream idea because I still use the old vBadvanced active threads which my users love.
                  I'm sure you know this, but do be aware that that won't work at all in vB5 unless Brian rewrites it completely.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• There seem to be pages and pages on this activity stream that stopped me from upgrading to VB 4.2 to start off with. So I suppose that in itself tell a story that I don't particularly like it much. I have also found on those forum that have it I just avoid it at all cost and go straight to new post. Now looking at the demo site I only see an option to select "Latest Activity" without any other options to look for now post So basically as it is now I find it just about impossibly to follow any new post!

Going to the Photos Only forum I like the way it list all the photos in that forum and can see some pluses here. However if you see a photo way down the page and click on it the viewer always starts from the first photo. So now you need to click through this until you finally reach the one you would like to view? Once viewing it I cannot see anyway to enlarge it bigger than what the slide show allows. This in itself can be an issue if you are displaying high resolution photos that need to be viewed in a larger format.

Overall I really just feel that the forum software that I finally came to really like is on it's way out. There seems to be few features on the demo site that are forum related in fact

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRider View Post
                      Going to the Photos Only forum I like the way it list all the photos in that forum and can see some pluses here. However if you see a photo way down the page and click on it the viewer always starts from the first photo. So now you need to click through this until you finally reach the one you would like to view? Once viewing it I cannot see anyway to enlarge it bigger than what the slide show allows. This in itself can be an issue if you are displaying high resolution photos that need to be viewed in a larger format.
                      Same experience here.

Plus: Some of the forums are dead.
                      Clicking on them in IE9 ending up in errors.

Demo Question and Answer...
                      Off-Topic Discussion

With FF they do work.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

There seem to be pages and pages on this activity stream that stopped me from upgrading to VB 4.2 to start off with. So I suppose that in itself tell a story that I don't particularly like it much. I have also found on those forum that have it I just avoid it at all cost and go straight to new post.
                        Not sure how that would stop you from upgrading to 4.2? Is simple enough to replace the latest activity with new posts simply through the navigation manager

Comment

• Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
                          Not sure how that would stop you from upgrading to 4.2? Is simple enough to replace the latest activity with new posts simply through the navigation manager
                          Well I never did it because I was not that interested in the workaround at the time

Comment

Well I never did it because I was not that interested in the workaround at the time
                            Not a work around at all. New posts is still there, its just in the sub navbar instead of the navbar. All you would have to do is move it if you wanted to do so.

VB5 btw, you could build whatever new post searches you liked using the site builder. In fact you could build one for each type if you wished to do so, although personally I would prefer a more simplified listing option which Im actually going to add into Jira.

Comment

• Well this is the thing what we seeing on the demo site is so limited that you have no idea what site builder can really do or for that matter what the forum software can do.

Comment

Its not a work around, its just using the Nav Manager to change the default settings to suit what you want, no different to the multiple other changes you must have made to settings for your own site.
                                Baby, I was born this way

Comment