No announcement yet.

VB5 Demo Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post comments will just get lost in long threads. Visible reputation comments I can get, but post comments seem useless to me.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      It is a feature you can disable. Like with most new things, some people like it, some do not.
      Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
      I'd love to hear from someone who likes the new comment system, why they like it.
      I'm thinking to have it disabled on our main forums, once I figure out how to make it forum specific.
      environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
      Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• No, this has been discussed in here already. I'm referring to a suggestion made in one of the feedback threads in this forum. Plus, we are allowed to discuss functionality that is publicly visible.

Geschrieben auf meinem A510 mit Forum Runner

Comment

• Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
          Aren't you like breaking the NDA like big time with this?
          No, he is not.

Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
          So post comments was created and a concept to make it a half ways decent feature was made later, by the alpha testers(?), but hasn't yet been implemented?
          Post comments are a new feature, when we (as testers) first saw them, some liked them, some hated them.
          It was requested that there be the ability to turn them off, this was added.

Some people suggested that they may be useful for staff comments, so it would be useful if they could have some usergroup permissions on them.
          That would be a more complex change and has not yet been implemented.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul M View Post
            Some people suggested that they may be useful for staff comments, so it would be useful if they could have some usergroup permissions on them.

That is all I would use them for. Staff comments.

Why dont I like them for regular users? 2 reasons.. Thread Hijacking and confusing to follow a conversation...
            vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
            Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
              Why dont I like them for regular users? 2 reasons.. Thread Hijacking and confusing to follow a conversation...
              What's last post on a 20 page thread? The last post, or the last comment to a post on page 5? How do you follow read/unread? Just to name a few issues...

Comment

• Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                What's last post on a 20 page thread? The last post, or the last comment to a post on page 5? How do you follow read/unread? Just to name a few issues...
                Yes, the nested comments is a nice feature but in most cases a useless one.

Comment

• Thats what I mean by confusing.
                  vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                  vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                  Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

• Guess it looks like some would find them useless (therefore switch them off as you can do) and those who would use them would do so only for specific usergroups (of which you cannot yet do). So seems to me there is some use for them, just not quite there yet.

Gotta admit, I would like them for staff related comments only and would use them. Wouldnt matter if you could search them etc in my case as it would be for comments like "Have PM'd him about this post" kinda comments. Things so that when other staff read individual posts they are aware someone else has done something with them.
                    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Performance report for VB4
                      http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.vbulletin.com/RRzWzL7n

And for VB5
                      http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.vbulletin.com/UmBORZDA

Page size is increased from 223KB to 1.82MB (More than 8 times)
                      http://gtmetrix.com/compare/UmBORZDA/QnToCjWw

Graphs (VB4 vs. VB5)
                      http://gtmetrix.com/compare/UmBORZDA...#report-graphs
                      Last edited by sadiq6210; Mon 17th Sep '12, 4:10am.
                      Signature test :)

Comment

• Performance issues are however known about and being addressed, so wouldnt read too much into that until they have been
                        Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Just want to chime in a bit although I'm not a vB developer - just a support staff member.

As Allen touched on, QA staff, vB Devs and support staff don't have any say when it comes to the managerial decision as to the timing of vB5 Beta launch, licensing and pricing policies. So setting aside decisions and factors outside of our control for the moment, here's some facts from my perspective:

1. vB Devs are currently analysing and identying the performance issues on the public vB5 Beta 10 demo, and ironing out those issues as we speak.

2. Subsequent vB5 Beta builds will definitely have lesser number queries per page and better performance than what you are currently witnessing on vB5 Beta 10 demo forums. How much better, I wouldn't know as I'm not a developer. Thus, the current vB5 Beta 10 demo shown isn't anywhere near representative of what to expect for final vB5 product. Same probably can be said for vB5 Search.

3. Yes the current vB5 Beta 10 demo forum is awfully slow. Even a 2 legged dog would be faster. But as already mentioned, subsequent vB5 Beta builds will definitely improve in terms of performance as vB Devs tireslessly squash each bug they come across.

4. Yes, one poor performing query can slow things down, I think most of us have experienced this ourselves with other mysql utilising apps as well besides vB. So can many efficiently performing queries out perform fewer poorly performing queries ? Of course it can. As it relates to vB5 current beta 10 build, as Wayne already linked to, vB devs are identifying all the problem areas, one example is http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4345. So future vB5 builds will improve in terms of a lesser quantity of queries per page as well as their efficiency. Again vB5 Beta 10 demo isn't anywhere near representative of what to expect for final vB5 product.
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Originally posted by sadiq6210 View Post
                            To be fair, nearly 60% of the page size on vB5 demo forums is from youtube/google map page elements and files.
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
                              So post comments was created and a concept to make it a half ways decent feature was made later, by the alpha testers(?), but hasn't yet been implemented? Have I reformulated your post correctly? You don't have to answer unless you feel the truth is supportive for IB. Just tell me I am wrong, if I am.
                              There are also several features and implementations of features that we've decided to let through in their current state specifically to get feedback from customers over time on how they may be refined or even removed.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul M View Post

Post comments are a new feature, when we (as testers) first saw them, some liked them, some hated them.
                                It was requested that there be the ability to turn them off, this was added.

Added improvement request for post comment usergroup permissions here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4523

Comment