This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin 5 - Will you purchase it ?

We all know (or should know by now), that a large amount of resources and development is going toward vBulletin 5. We also know that Internet Brands is working on improving vBulletin 4.

So the question;

From what you see today and know of Internet Brands, what little information you know about vBulletin 5, and overall where you believe vBulletin 4 is going; do you believe you will buy into vBulletin 5 ?
    YES
    13.00%
    NO
    47.00%
    Yes if it is a complete re-write
    12.50%
    Yes if it isn't a re-write, but an improved upgrade
    1.50%
    Yes if I continue to see improvement in vBulletin 4
    8.00%
    Yes, if others say it is good - I'll not be one of the 1st to get it
    4.00%
    I am unsure and undecided at this time
    14.00%

I chose "Yes if I continue to see improvement in vBulletin 4".

Really, my main deciding factor would be if it contains greater than or equal to the current vB4 feature set. If they rip out existing features without comparable replacements and turn it into an alien product, I have little reason to stay since going to an alternate platform would give me the same amount of grief.

I do believe the greatest challenge the vB5 developers have is creating a "fresh" product while maintaining a "familiar" environment.

I'm quite happy with vB4 to be honest, and I was with vB3, too. If vB5 is all that and more, I'd do it again.
    - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

YES, If they dropped the lawsuit and released a product worthy of the Pre-IB brand name, but seeing as how neither are very likely, I voted NO

Comment

I "think" i can decide only when i see it live. Without even knowing a single thing about vb5 it's not possible to make any kind of decision.

Comment

Impossible to say right now. If vBulletin is the best platform out there when it's released, yes.
          Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
          Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

I am unsure and undecided at this time. It all depends on how things end up turning out for the rest of the development and communication for vBulletin 4
            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
            "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

I voted for, Yes, if others say it is good - I'll not be one of the 1st to get it.

I most certainly will not be the first to try the new software however, if it receiving some positive reviews from the get-go I will certainly feel a little inclined to try it out. If the software fails unbelievably then I will almost certainly jump ship to another platform.

Comment

If it will not be a complete rewrite , we are not interested.

Comment

I can't answer it because there are no options in regards to:
                  -Giving vB early adopters a substantial discount (should be free)
                  - Being a complete rewrite
                  - Changing vB's current policy in regards to roadmaps
                  - Failed past promises (include all those things promised - sorry don't accept the "they where not authorized to say/post/promise that")
                  - Lack of their own parent company not trusting their software - please don't try to sell me something your own parent company doesn't 100% use
                  - Missing "suit" features are included
                  - Drop the law suit with XF
                  - Failure to give me a refund when I asked for it back in the early days of vB4's release
                  - Better documentation upon release (includes patches)
                  - Fixed stylvars (this also includes locking down this part of the software so theme designers can do their magic)
                  - Fix bugs before trying to sell me "premium"
                  - Don't tell me to use an application (Jira) to vote on things, when you're going to add features 1) not in Jira 2) was not voted on 3) not what customer wanted in the first place
                  - Educate your employee (mostly just one right now) on how to interact with your customers (little less cocky and a lot more grateful in regards to customers)
                  - Simply release a GREAT product, that works, has features promised (by approved messengers) with quick updates in regards to fixes, for a reasonable price

Once you have that listed as a poll selection then I would say yes, I'd upgrade to vB5
                  Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

I will if they'll prove vB4 is worth it too

Comment

So who voted, YES. ?
                      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                      vBulletin Hosting and Services
                      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

I voted unsure.
                        I'd like to see a complete re-write.
                        Building from vB4 to vB5 is not going to fix all the bugs or majority of the bugs.
                        The core product could use some re-work.
                        The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

To be frank - they would to give it to me for free for every vb4 publishing suit license I own. Then I would try it and if t was decent use it.

Otherwise - no, I won't buy it.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I bought into vB4 pretty much site [sic] unseen.
                            I won't make that mistake again.
                            ...steven
                            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Only if I think the company can be trusted. I doubt I will trust it as long as certain people are running the show.

Comment