Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmquist
    replied
    I hesitated for two years and upgraded two months ago. There are some bugs but for my needs I feel 5 is very good. There is a lot of people talking down vB5 but I think trying it and evaluating it is the right way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    The question to ask is:

Why do you want to upgrade?

If the answer is "because there are features in vB5 that I want, that aren't in vB4", then upgrde.
    If the answer is "because I like to be on the latest version", then don't.

vB5 is significant change from how vB4 works, and upgrade decisions should not be taken lightly.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by adeel786 View Post
    VB 5 is looking great now. Do you guys think It'll be a good idea to upgrade now?
    As someone who has both vB4.2.3 and vB5.2.0 versions of the same site I can honestly say I can't answer this.

There are things I like and dislike about each version. It really depends on your site.

I'd suggest making a test site and upgrading that before you decide on your live site.

Leave a comment:

• NumNum
    replied
    I'm happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• adeel786
    replied
    VB 5 is looking great now. Do you guys think It'll be a good idea to upgrade now?

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    That question is hard to answer, because it totally depends on your needs and expectations.

Leave a comment:

• arc
    replied
    not to dig this thread back up...but is the general consensus still that vb5 isn't a good thing to upgrade to?

Leave a comment:

• dilbert
    commented on 's reply
    Same here. Much happier, significantly better software, they are very open about where the next version is going.

• dilbert
    replied
    Count me in for a big NO vote, unless the upgrade is to different software.

Leave a comment:

• durruti
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    I have had some excellent results working with customers who upgraded to vB5, getting their original look and feel back.
    Examples:
    www.hdherd.com
    www.thesaucyvegan.com
    Mark, you did not disclose the whole story.

I don't know about thesaucyvegan but hdherd is a prime example why the OP should not upgrade as of yet. It is well documented in TAZ that hdherd was a total fiasco and only after heavy personal involvement by yourself that the site is now - to use your own wording - has "excellent results".

My recommendation, same with others - as of currently; do not upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• sandrose
    commented on 's reply
    You will loose the following after upgrade:

Instant email notification
    Daily email notification
    Weekly email notification
    Sitemap builder
    Calendar

• JDekkers
    replied
    My forum upgraded from 3.8 and we are now on 5.05 and testing on 5.1. Everything went well. I also am testing on a new server and so far so good. I have a small forum without any big modifications done to it. I can say we are happy with the way it works and look forward to the next update.

Leave a comment:

• aberg
    replied
    Same here, moved to IPB after 10 years.
    I never thought this was happen....
    bye bye Vbulletin

Leave a comment:

• emp1re
    replied
    No don't upgrade.
    We did.. and after a few days of missery we went back to vb4.

Today we said goodbye to VB and did convert to IP-Board... our test convert went verry well..so after 9 years of vbulletin we decided to say goodbye to VB and welcome IPB.
    It is actualy sick to see that converting to IPB went much better as upgrade to VB5.

Leave a comment:

• aberg
    replied
    No!! Dont upgrade.
    I have done it and it is it is horrible.
    Most of the hacks don't work.
    For me this new version is the reason I moved to IPB.
    So if anyone have intrest, he can buy my license

Leave a comment: