Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of different display methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of different display methods?

(This is a serious question and not meant to devaluate vB5, so I am really interested in answers here! And please don't blame me for not knowing anything about the following features.)

What is the purpose of those different display methods that vB5 is offering at the very top of every forum/channel section? For example here in the Licensed Customer Feedback:

Click image for larger version

Name:	filter_1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	3980056

Don't get me wrong: I know what they are doing, but I can't imagine any scenarios where those options might be useful. For example, if I click on Photos, then I get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	filter_2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	3980057

But what am I supposed to get here? An overview of all photos, that have been uploaded in this sub-forum? Okay cool, but how does this help me with getting information out of this section?

My Subscriptions is self-explaining, but when it comes to Latest Activity, again this option doesn't help me at all. Sure, it gives an overview about the latest changes, but if it is a bigger forum with more activity the list becomes quite confusing. So here come my questions:

How do you use these options when browsing a forum? And do you use them at all?
    Why were they created? What is the purpose of those options? How can they be utilized in an "useful" way?

Oh, I can't implement images via the Advanced Editor, so these are displayed within a post?

Comment

• DemOnstar
      DemOnstar commented
      Editing a comment
      Tried without success to open your attachments.

• TLMD
      TLMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Gladly IggyP displayed them below. Within a post! Awesome, isn't it?

lmao about the image situation, maybe next version...i will help tho to display

i havent fully checked out all these functions....although i do wish we could custom links in there like the other navbar....

i think what it is tho, is you can see those links for each category, forum, thread what have you....so i was thinkingit would show the photos for that forum or thread for example...

supposing you only wanted to view a certain type of photos or check activity in certain areas, hell idk i think its something like that tho

Comment

Originally posted by IggyP View Post
      i think what it is tho, is you can see those links for each category, forum, thread what have you...
      Well, showing photos of a single thread may be useful, for example if there is a topic like "Share your holiday pictures here", but that seems a bit limited to me. There has to be another purpose I guess...

Comment

The main purpose that I can think of would be a gallery style forum with a lot of images. These are popular on many sites. In the future, hopefully you'll be able to comment on individual pictures (Vote Here), tag photos (Vote Here and Here). Also hopefully be able to allow others to use them in content as well (Vote Here).

There is actually a lot of potential to showing photos and the web today is becoming very visual.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          The main purpose that I can think of would be a gallery style forum with a lot of images. These are popular on many sites.

(...)
          This leads me to the question, if it is currently possible to create a post (thread) which only consists of a picture (or several pictures)? If not, I can't see how this will be a reachable goal.

I agree with you when you say pictures, or visualization in general, have a lot of potential today. Maybe I got somewhat distracted by the label "Photos", as it just appeared like another filter option to me. I have to admit: I started to look up what other companies try to archive with their "Galleries" added to their software. They provide much more interaction than what is currently possible when I open the "Photos" tab in vB5. Actually I think it is a complete different way to interact in a forum (beside a usual post), and people seem to use it quite regularly. I hope the developers and/or the people who decide on the features of vB5 see this potential and don't let it rank under "trivial".

Also thanks for the links to the feature requests. I voted on two of them. Sadly there doesn't seem to be much interaction here when it comes to voting.

Comment

If you click on the camera icon, you can create a thread that consists of nothing but one or more pictures. Doesn't even need text, though you can add individual captions for each image.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment