Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feldon23
    replied
    What's astonishing is, people try out vB5 here, read the posts of users, and still buy it.

Leave a comment:

• IcEWoLF
    commented on 's reply
    It's true that one guy over on the other side is very good as well....

• sandrose
    replied
    Too Many bugs that let me take a decision to return to the old Vbulletin 4.2 and stick with it.

The major issue with Vb 5 is the cache table in the database always fills up with data with unlimited size which can reach 4 GB in one hour after you clear the cache.
    The other issue is using innodb table which is impossible to recover when it is crashed or corrupted.

Leave a comment:

• IrealiTY
    replied
    What buggs me the most is that they sell this unfinished and completely bugged software... The way people have issues with it feels like a Kickstarter project where you got a beta version to test, but other than that you did not know that you buy a Beta...

Leave a comment:

• DemOnstar
    commented on 's reply
    @Mr Deimos, what makes you think I don't already have a job?

• jdj
    replied
    Originally posted by Contramontanum View Post
    I want a board and a CMS that makes it easy to create articles and such and functions well on mobile devices.
    I don't use the mobile suite but my board displays perfectly well on a tablet (I have both an iPad and an android tablet) with the sole exception that if you put adverts in both the top positions at the head of the page using the vB4 ad manager then the second ad scrunches up and obscures the top links.

As for smartphones: I looked at the mobile style that comes with vB4 and wasn't impressed by the fact that to style the main styles with my branding I could use the vB4 stylevar system but to restyle the mobile style I had to make CSS changes. Doesn't mean to say I'm not capable of doing it but my experience of using vB3 and vB4 is that you are better keeping the number of changes to the minimum, and you are better using the features built into the software otherwise you are more likely to run into problems at upgrade. So I didn't bother with restyling the mobile style and I put my efforts into restyling something else (non vB/IB).

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    Originally posted by Contramontanum View Post
    I'm detecting a pattern here.
    One of the previous comments said "..vB4 is unusable".

I actually use vB4 and whilst I admit it's not perfect...its usable. My main problem with vB5 is the absence of the CMS and calendar, both of which I use. I use the CMS for news, although we have to drive it, but the calendar populates itself. I confess I'm a little disappointed that vB5 is not yet out there with the calendar and whatever was designed to replace the CMS. No timelines for when these are due to come along either.

Leave a comment:

• Deimos
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like someone is turning into a fanbois, are you after a job at IB? :P

• LLent
    replied
    from what i hear and see i am sticking with vb4 vb5 has a long road ahead imo even if it goes gold

Leave a comment:

• DeltaHawk5
    replied
    I'm more than content with vBulletin 4, its still the best message board software out there regardless of how much people want to complain about it (which very few do nowadays).

As for vB 5, I'm gonna sit back and let its development cycle take process. I'm not in a rush to upgrade, and neither should anyone else, it's not worth stressing over

Leave a comment:

• alkahf
    replied
    very nice

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Like I said, James Limm needed a sailboat.

Leave a comment:

• ShyGuy82
    replied
    I've known James Limm and John Percival even before vBulletin came to existence (vbforums.com). Those guys had a vision and really were the pioneers of forum software. Those days a long gone.

Leave a comment:

• DemOnstar
    commented on 's reply
    A dubious comment but valid nonetheless.

• Pope Viper
    commented on 's reply
    It was a quality product from release. No legacy code to build from, and for sure no stolen code.