• Show
Clear All

• error when registering new user if used php 8

Hi

in 5.6.5 rc1 and php 8, if I go to "register" I get the error:

An unexpected error was returned: 'Unsupported operand types: int & string'

but working ok with php 74.

Thank you.
  • Answer selected by Wayne Luke at Thu 21 Oct '21, 12:55pm.

Please make these changes in your php.ini file:

display_errors = Off
    log_errors = On
    error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_WARNING

Comment

I cannot recreate this in a default installation of vBulletin 5.6.5 using Windows 8.

What is the exact text of the errors that you're receiving?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thats it, on the screen I get the above error only, and in the log file I see only warnings:

PHP Warning: Undefined variable $fbInfo in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 187
        PHP Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 187
        PHP Warning: Undefined variable $specialChannelNodeId in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 35
        PHP Warning: Undefined array key "channelid" in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 12
        PHP Warning: Undefined array key "channelid" in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 12
        PHP Warning: Undefined array key "channelid" in /home/xyz/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 6

I disable plugins and tried using the default style but the same.

Regards.

Comment

Please make these changes in your php.ini file:

display_errors = Off
          log_errors = On
          error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_WARNING

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi..

I changed it, Thank you.

but the above "error" is preventing me from using the "register", after I get the error it stops and I'm unable to register new user.

using final 5.6.5

Thank you.

Comment

These shouldn't appear on the screen or interfere with the software if you have updated the correct php.ini file. When you look at the PHP Info in your AdminCP under maintenance, what is the error level shown?

I know the channelid warning should be fixed in 5.6.6. Its bug report is here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20896

Will have to test the other two. I only log PHP messages instead of showing them on the screen and haven't noticed any loss of functionality using PHP 8.0.10.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 1 Nov '21, 8:37am.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I just ran this on my installation of 5.6.6 Alpha 3 (not currently available to customers) and was able to register two new users despite the warnings being logged. I created a bug report for the warnings.

The code causing these warnings aren't new. What is new is that PHP is now throwing warnings on these variables due to changes in the language specification. vBulletin has a lot of code in it that isn't up to modern coding standards. Some of this code goes back to very early versions of vBulletin. The developers are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Got it, Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

Comment