Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    No need to be harsh. What sticky are you referring to? I'm not unwilling to do anything. I was only directed to a link I've how to turn on debug. If I've missed something I'll go back with your direction.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Since you can't provide the information actually needed as outlined in the sticky topic "Read before requesting support," You'll need to open a support ticket with complete access to the server. SFTP, Direct Database Access, and access to the vBulletin AdminCP. "Reasonably current" provides no information that allows us to help you. The OS version is irrelevant.

If you're just using a single style, I suggest setting it as the default style under Settings → Options → Style & Language Options.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 4 Aug '21, 8:48am.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    We ship the software with Linux new line characters. This is a primary reason why the files couldn't be opened in older versions of Windows Notepad. If you opened the files in a Windows text editor that was configured to force Windows carriage returns into the files that could be the cause.
    Here are the errors that occurred when using red / black as the selected Style when trying to add a child Channel underneath form. It's the same as before.

Code:
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Call to a member function resetForcedStyles() on null'

Exception trace:
    ## phar:///var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content/channel.php(231) Exception Thrown #0 phar:///var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/core/vb/vb.phar/api/content.php(115): vB_Library_Content_Channel->add(Array, Array) #1 phar:///var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/core/vb/vb.phar/api/content/channel.php(94): vB_Api_Content->add(Array, Array) #2 phar:///var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/core/vb/vb.phar/api/wrapper.php(205): vB_Api_Content_Channel->add(Array) #3 /var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/core/admincp/forum.php(319): vB_Api_Wrapper->__call('add', Array) #4 /var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php(147): require_once('/var/www/vhosts...') #5 /var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/includes/vb5/frontend/controller/relay.php(33): Api_Interface_Collapsed->relay('admincp/forum.p...') #6 /var/www/vhosts/thevillagewire.com/forums.thevillagewire.com/index.php(75): vB5_Frontend_Controller_Relay->admincp('forum.php') #7 {main}
    I am running Plesk Obsidian which returned the same error as the person a year ago. It's not the control panel. The server runs CentOS 7.9 .x 64 bit and current are reasonably current PHP and MySQL-MariaDB.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    We ship the software with Linux new line characters. This is a primary reason why the files couldn't be opened in older versions of Windows Notepad. If you opened the files in a Windows text editor that was configured to force Windows carriage returns into the files that could be the cause.

There is a utility that runs on install (only) that will write these files if they do not exist on the server. However, these should use the native new line for the OS. Most people use Linux servers. If this utility was used and you were utilizing a Windows IIS server, then they could be inserted. Even then, they shouldn't cause problems on most modern servers. If they did, your site wouldn't even run. It would present a white screen and log a fatal parse error from PHP.
    I am really behind on my setup of BB. That's not your fault. Quite honestly I'm disabled and generally in pain most of the time. That's part of the reason I'm building this. A sense of revenue from advertising. At any rate I have found several different vbulletin manuals and I don't know which one to trust. The one that seems most comfortable comes off of the admin CPP. The one on your site seems to have just been rewritten and it's just a bunch of links.

At any rate, I have debug mode turned on. Piece of cake can I use to VI to do it. I know your instructions say to downloaded but I'm a Linux hosting company and very familiar on the command line. So I'm at the point of setting the default Style to be used site-wide. I've said it to Black / Red. I've set it so is to not allow the user to change the style. I mean I could go in and make logos for everything but I just don't want to. What I'd like to do is get it set and then find an icon set a familiar icon set. But that'll come later.

I'm at the point where it's asking me if I'd like to store the CSS style sheets and SVG images as files? Although I've read the help pop up I'll be honest I don't understand what it's saying. I used to install VB all the time for customers and I know it quite well. But you've gotten quite advanced in my time off with cancer. I'll admit I don't know quite what I'm doing.

Before I can get to the point of creating what you now called channels instead of groups are sub forums I need to be straight from the beginning on a default Style throughout the site. A minor detail I know but important nonetheless.

Now that I have debug mode turned on I will get to the point where I will attempt to create a welcome group underneath Forum and then inline with the welcome group will be major categories and then subgroups or threads or channels or whatever they are to be called these days. Such as directly underneath Welcome might be Art -> Photography -> Black & White. Nested channels? Sub forums? I don't know the terminology anymore.

I will be able to report back the error it's being kicked off once I get past this point. But to answer the initial question, I can create a group. Except When selecting a custom style it doesn't appear until you back up one screen and then it shows up. In the meantime it pops off with a PHP error. It'll be better explained when I show it to you. But it's the error at the top of this thread by another user that never got resolved. So yes, the group or the channel or the sub-forum or whatever it's to be called can be created it just creates an error in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It doesn't as far as I am aware. The OS really isn't the issue here. It would be how PHP parses and interprets the files. It seemingly has no problems or it would return a parse error and die.

I have absolutely no idea why you're seeing the ^M in the files. They do not exist in the files that are shipped with vBulletin. Any file. Personally, I would have replaced it with a new default.

I don't know why you can't create new channels either. Creating channels isn't related to styles. This file formatting issue would not be the reason. A channel is just a node, are you able to create other nodes on the site? Topics, replies, articles, private messages, blogs, and groups are all examples of different nodes.

A support ticket with full server access will most likely be necessary to diagnose the issue.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 28 Jul '21, 8:05am.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    Fair enough but I was not aware of that CentOS requires a ^M in text files. VI has never shown one until now and only in this one file. This is actually one reason someone should not use notepad because it does add additional information to the end of the line that people generally don't see. I viewed only config.php with VIM but only the presentation configuration file. I did not save the file. ^M does not appear when looking in the/ core/includes config.php. if I # cat config.php it appears correctly. As I said, I can fix it.

I use PHPedit in Windows that shows files properly indented with proper syntax and incorrectly typed commands and all that good stuff. I've also been using Dreamweaver under its various names now since late 1997. Once Adobe bought it suddenly it's a monthly subscription.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied

There is a utility that runs on install (only) that will write these files if they do not exist on the server. However, these should use the native new line for the OS. Most people use Linux servers. If this utility was used and you were utilizing a Windows IIS server, then they could be inserted. Even then, they shouldn't cause problems on most modern servers. If they did, your site wouldn't even run. It would present a white screen and log a fatal parse error from PHP.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    I've attempted to recreate this issue on a default install using the Red/Black style with vBulletin 5.6.4 PL1 and PHP 7.4.18 along with MySQL 8.0.X. I did not receive any database errors.
    I know that you are very intelligent and know vB. I used to know it very, very well. Not anymore. But I do know PHP.

I use PHP 7.3.29 and MySQL 8.0.1. The errors shown by the OP of this thread appear to be PHP errors, not MySQL. My suspicion as a once professional programmer.

To the point, I went in with VI to edit the Presentation config.php and found that each line terminates in a
    Code:
     ^M
    . That means that it was edited with a Windows editor. I didn't touch the file but if I had it would have been with PHPedit or CS 5.5. But /core/includes/config.php does not show the carriage return. Of course I can fix it but I thought that I'd bring it to your attention.

Is there part of the setup/install process that generates config.php? If so it's dropping in a CR.

Code:
    $config['report_all_php_errors'] = false;^M
    $config['no_template_notices'] = true;^M
    ^M
    // This setting should never be used on a live site^M
    $config['no_js_bundles'] = false;^M
    ^M
    // This setting enables debug mode, it should NEVER be used on a live site^M
    $config['debug'] = false;^M
    ^M
    // Assumes default location of core. ^M
    // These are the system paths and folders for your vBulletin files^M
    // This setting is for where your vbulletin core folder is^M
    $config['core_path'] = realpath(dirname(__FILE__)) . '/core';^M
    ^M
    $config['php_sessions'] = false;^M
    ^M
    /core/includes/config.php has no CR's.
    Last edited by Bob Ricci; Mon 26 Jul '21, 3:51am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    No... Patch Levels do not introduce new code like PHP Compatibility. It would take a 5.6.5 or 5.7.0 release. You cannot use PHP 8.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    I have installed PHP version 8. Of course I've made a back up of the vbulletin MariaDB database. Can I switch to version 8 or do I need to completely reinstall vBulletin? I'm currently running php v7.3.x and mysql 5.5.68-MariaDB.

According to your sticky message pehp version 8 is not supported in this version of the bulletin.
    Thanks.

With the impending release of PHP 8, I want to point out that the current version of vBulletin 5.6.4 does not support this major release at this time.
    Was this updated with the release of PL1?
    Last edited by Bob Ricci; Mon 19 Jul '21, 5:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I've attempted to recreate this issue on a default install using the Red/Black style with vBulletin 5.6.4 PL1 and PHP 7.4.18 along with MySQL 8.0.X. I did not receive any database errors.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    Well that's real simple. Since I have an unmodified new installation that should answer 99% of the questions you ask and it only occurs with and unmodified red/black style as I originally indicated. But I'll go ahead and edit the files and give you the debug even though it's likely going to be the same as previously reported and can be found by searching Google but was never corrected in a subsequent release.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    So you're one the same site as the original customer? If not, please open your own topic and provide the answers to the requested information in the topic here: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...esting-support

You can set a default style globally in the AdminCP under Settings → Options → Style & Language Options.

I can't figure out how to recreate the error in the latest version.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ricci
    replied
    No, it's not resolved. I'm having trouble setting up forums when I specify a fixed red/black style. I thought that there was a global setting... I'm trying to set it forum by forum which triggers the error.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Ricci View Post
    No bug fix yet?
    There was never any additional feedback from the original poster. I don't know if it resolved his issue or not.

Leave a comment: