Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhorse
    replied
    Sorry Wayne Luke i just have sent befpre i see your reply.

Leave a comment:

• Blackhorse
    replied
    Hello,

untill support team replies

if your site is using only english and there is no problem with charactets then it is ok to leave it.

if there is a possibility to have international languages on your forum then you should change it to utf8. but make sure you have prepared database with utf8 charset and collation.

UTF8 is the default now and works well for international sites and english as well.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    UTF-8 is the only standard in the modern web. vBulletin should have converted to UTF-8 in the early 2000s. Instead the development team at the time decided to turn none English characters into HTML Entities and force them into the database. It is the base of the conversion problems non-English sites face today.

If all you're using is the English Language than you can use ISO-8859-1. It is a subset of UTF-8 and doesn't include thousands of character glyphs that are included in UTF-8. This missing characters will show as squares or black question marks in your browser. It isn't even recommended to use ISO-8859-1 in web applications.

New vBulletin 5 installations use UTF8MB4 for the database and UTF-8 for the HTML character set. This provides the best compatibility with the devices accessing the web today.

Leave a comment:

• -=|zami|=-
    started a topic default UTF-8

default UTF-8

friends, please: in admincp>>language & phrases>>language manager>>edit & settings there is the "HTML Character Set" option with the description "This value tells your browser how to display characters on HTML Pages. Default: UTF-8"

my doubts:
    - Why is the default UTF-8? any advantage over other standards?
    - Is it possible to use ISO-8859-1 without problems or are there any restrictions in VBulletin 5?

thanks!!!