Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groups

When we started the forum we had some modification done for us so that we could have private channels that customized groups would have exclusive access to. We later found out that in order to maintain that integrity we had to disable the search function on the forum. As I became more familiar with vBulletin it seemed to me that the Group function built into vBulletin would probably serve that purpose for us. I tried to change the Channel Manager of Groups to act as a channel but it says it cannot change it while it is not empty. There's one group called Uncategorized Groups. I changed that one to act as a channel, but it doesn't show up on the forum at all. Any hints on where to go from here to activate the Group function. Does it just become one of the other channels on the home page of the forum? Thanks.

The "Act as Category" option only applies to Forums. You don't need it for groups. If you want additional Group Categories, just create new channels under the Groups Channel (on the same level as Uncategorized Groups). Set their display order that you want them to appear in.

When your users create groups on the front-end they will choose a category to place them in.

If you want your Group Categories to show on the Group pages, then use the Navigation Module and set it to "Groups" in its options.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I know I'm being dense about this but where do the Groups show up? Is it on a separate page? Do I need to create a new page for them? I found the navigational bar but it's looking for a URL which I don't have. I thought Groups was a function that was offered within vBulletin. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Comment

In a default installation they show up at /social-groups. If you edited this page and changed its URL, then they will show up at the new URL that you specified. You would have to edit the Navigation Bar and update the URL for the new one that you specified.

You can probably retrieve this information from the Page Manager in Site Builder. Click on Pages in the menu, then click on All Pages. There will be several Social Group related pages listed. Click on one and then the Social Group page will be shown in the breadcrumbs after HOME. Click on it to go to it. Update your Navigation Bar to point to the proper location.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

That did it. I was able to add a navigational button and published a group's page. Thanks so much!

Comment

I see your groups page at /social-groups on your front end.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

moved this to a separate topic.
              Last edited by ATForum; Sun 24 Feb '19, 9:25am.

Comment