Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Password protected vbulletin folder via .htaccess requires two correct logins / entries of username and password to get in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I don't use the browser saving password feature ever.

But let's say I send you to this forum. First time you've ever been there. It's not going to remember your PW since you've never been there and you have to enter the username and PW twice just to get in. You might just give up the first time and think you entered it wrong.

Comment

To be honest htaccess passwords are generally only used by administrators hiding test sites and otherwise restricting public access. vBulletin offers extensive built in permissions to prevents users who haven't logged in from seeing anything but the logo of the site really, if so set by the Admin. Those are what should be used to keep a community private.

This double .htaccess password prompt issue only occurs when not saved in the browser and I have a hard time considering it to be a bug with the software. You are free to report it as such if you want using the "Tracker" link in the navbar of this site and choose "Create Issue" and go from there.

Comment

So if I wanted the forum to show all of the threads both the forums and the subforums (channels and subchannels), but not allow anyone to view the content of any posts until registered, what sort of settings would I utilize?

In other words I'd want to allow scrolling over topics but not the ability to view the content of individual posts.

For example this thread here they would see the title but that's it not be able to see any posts:

they'd see all forums, subforums and topics but no individual posts.

Comment

In Channel Management in the Admin CP, choose Channel Permissions. Then find the main Forum channel, edit the permissions for Unregistered/Not Logged In group, and change the setting "Can View Topic Content" to No. Leave the rest as is, save changes.

If any forums have custom permissions you may need to edit them separately.

That should do it. Users not logged in won't have access to view specific threads but they will see a list of threads and the forums they reside in.

Be aware of course if guests can't view topic content, neither can search engines. Topics won't get indexed by Google and the like.
          Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Mon 7 Aug '17, 3:50am.

Comment

Make sure there is no .htaccess file in your /core directory. Don't remove any other .htaccess files you might find in directories under /core.

Make sure when you set up your authorization it applies to subdirectories of your installation. i.e. /core
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by MDawg View Post
              So if I wanted the forum to show all of the threads both the forums and the subforums (channels and subchannels), but not allow anyone to view the content of any posts until registered, what sort of settings would I utilize?

In other words I'd want to allow scrolling over topics but not the ability to view the content of individual posts.

For example this thread here they would see the title but that's it not be able to see any posts:

they'd see all forums, subforums and topics but no individual posts.
              Set Unregistered to "Can View Channels" to Yes on the Forum Channel.
              Set Unregistered to "Can View Topic Content" to No on the Forum Channel.

Provided no other channels have custom permissions, this change will be inherited throughout all forum channels.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I set it up so that unregistered / awaiting email / awaiting moderator approval may view only channels, not topic content - and I made it so that all new registrants must be mod approved.

I edited the default_guest_message to make it clear that they must register before may post OR view any of the posts - I made some of it bold with code, but is it possible to change the background color around this message, make it red for example? Or make some of the text itself red?

Comment

You can make the text red using code like:

Code:
                  This is normal text. <span style="color:red;">This is red text.</span> This is normal again.
                  Changing the background would probably take more advanced custom CSS, probably need to make a div inside the notice since in my quick check notices don't seem to have unique ID's or classes. It's all or none when applying additional CSS to the notice box itself.

Comment

You can apply customized CSS to individual notices using the data-notice-id attribute in your css_additional.css template. To get the value of this attribute, you would have to inspect the item in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and look at the code. An individual notice might look like this:
                    HTML Code:
                    <li class="notice restore" data-notice-id="4" data-notice-persistent="1"><div class="close">X</div><div class="notice info">This site is set up as a test and development site on top of vBulletin Cloud's Production Server. It allows users to evaluate the vBulletin Cloud system from a user standpoint. The goal is to provide a working system that simulates real world usage.</div></li>
                    See the data-notice-id attribute on the LI tag?

You can apply CSS to this Notice using code similar to this:
                    Code:
                    [data-notice-id="4"] {
                        padding: 20px;
                        background-color: #47A8F5;
                        color: white;
                        margin-bottom: 15px;
                    }
                    You can see this in action on my Rabidbadger Cloud site linked in my signature.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment