Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group template not working as expected

VB 5.1.3

I have a group set up with a page title module, static html module, activity stream, and group summary working properly.

For another group, I opened ^this^ group with the Site builder > edit page. I edited the Html module and saved as a new page name with a new URL to the new group, select no on overwrite template. Save. It's my understanding that the activity module is "smart" and knows how to act in the special social-group channels. The original page has the New topic button and additional
    topics and photos on the bar and only shows activity in that group. The other activity stream module acts like any other page would and has activity for the whole forum and no new topic button. Did I do something wrong?

I also ended up with a couple of botched template attempts with exactly the same name on the list. I would like to delete these if possible. <<Is it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screen11.png
Views:	20
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	4181377
    Attached Files

That won't work. Groups have to be on the groups pages. You can't embed a group into a custom page, any more than you could embed a forum into a custom page. The routing won't work, apart from anything else.

The point of changing template names is to dictate whether they apply to all channels that use that page, or just that one channel. It won't work if you put it into a new page as well.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.7.0 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

So I have a custom page on socks-corner that works perfectly, based off the Groups page named "Socks-Corner" with a static html module.
      So I go to rock-crawlers-corner, select edit page, grab the Groups template, add modules, change the name from Groups to "rock-crawlers-corner" then select "no" on overwrite template and save?

What about deleting the botched pages in the templates list? Is there a way to do it?

The group URLs:
      http://www.k5blazersplus.com/forums/.../sock-s-corner
      http://www.k5blazersplus.com/forums/...rawlers-corner

Comment

As of 5.1.4 you should be able to delete unwanted custom pages. Not possible in 5.1.3 though.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.7.0 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

So am I on the right track for creating the page? I noticed you guys are running 5.1.4b, is it more stable than 5.1.3?

Comment

What exactly are you trying to do? You can create a page. But you cannot randomly assign things to it that won't work with it.

Do you want a new group? Create a New group in the group page(s).

Comment

You can edit each group's page if you want as well. Go to the group, edit the page. Save the page and don't overwrite the template. Name the new template %groupname% Custom Template or something to keep track of it.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 23 Oct '14, 10:57am.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for Wayne. I thought if I overwrote the template it would affect all the other pages that shared that template, but that's where the renaming comes into effect. Makes sense. Sounds like I was doing it exactly opposite of what I should be doing. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry my post should say "Don't Overwrite". I've corrected it. Just set Overwrite Template to No and it will ask for a new name. You can have as many Page Templates in the system as you need.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

How do I get the default template back on all the groups. There is not a group summary module in the modules list so I have two groups without the group summary and the module with the create topic button and latest activity. When I create a new group, it uses the correct template and has the correct modules.

When I select the group template, the group summary is there, but not with the other necessary module, it has too channel navigation modules.
                    This has to be the correct template since it is the only on with the group summary module.

Name:	group-summary.png
Views:	18
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	4183656

This is the module I need to make the groups functional again and is not in the modules list.

Name:	default-module.png
Views:	11
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	4183657

Last edited by Replicant; Fri 24 Oct '14, 6:00pm.

Comment

Problem was solved by going in and editing the database directly at the command line. I have to say that this whole issue should not ever happen. The default templates should not be able to be overwritten at all since the site-builder has the ability to create custom templates. The overwrite template option is selected by default in the site-builder and even though it gives a warning before overwriting, this is something that should be addressed. I was also able to delete all the botched templates from the list at the command line.

Comment

You would normally update the default template, adding stuff you want to it. Most people would want to overwrite it.

Comment

For the regular forums, maybe, but on the special channels (groups, blogs), once the default modules are gone, you can't get them back. They are not available in the modules list. The other issue I was having, the reason all this started to begin with, using the save as feature, it gave me an error saying I couldn't remove a system module. The only thing I did was add an html module. Since this was the format I was going with for all the groups front pages, I went ahead and overwrote the template. Then when I went to use the template for the next group, there were no system modules like sg_display_channel and group_summary.

Comment