Request failed with status code 500 when logging in with iOS app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request failed with status code 500 when logging in with iOS app

Intermittently, when I try to login with the iOS app I get this error. Repeated attempts get the error indefinitely.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Status500error_iOSApp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	4469123
    Then when I collapse/restart the app, usually it logs in fine.

When it happens there are records of server errors but no record of corresponding PHP errors.

I have been experiencing this problem since iOS mobile app version 2.6 and 2.7

ANYONE ELSE experienced this?

You have an open ticket on this issue. Any discussion on the issue should be handled in the ticket.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I am mostly trying to find out if Anyone Else has had this issue.
      Last edited by MDawg; Tue 5 Apr '22, 11:58am.

Comment

We have just had the upgrade from 5.6.4 to 5.6.7 and are now seeing this issue. Did you find a resolution or do we have to recompile the mobile applications?

Comment

As per your ticket, you need to recompile the apps.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

In my case it has nothing to do with the apps, unless all of the apps have some coding issue, still trying to find the problem.

Comment

My response was to the other customer in post Blogs
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Trevor, as you are aware, we have recompiled the apps and this still has not resolved the issue. Are there any other suggestions as we cannot find this error in the server error logs

Comment

There is some confusion on these errors. I will try to clear it up.

A 500 server error doesn't tell you what the error was. It is basically, the Web Server saying "Something went wrong but I don't know what went wrong and I don't care to find out!"

A 500 server error comes from your Web Server, i.e. Apache. You will need to look in the Access Log for your Web Server to get the time stamp of the error. The time stamp will look like this with default Apache configurations - [23/May/2022:11:02:38 -0700]. If you use a different web server, it will be probably different because of "Standards".

To find the 500 server errors, you'll need to search for the number 500. The response code will be the second to last thing in every line.

This is what a 500 server error looks like:
                  127.0.0.1 - - [09/Mar/2022:10:41:47 -0800] "GET /forum/image.php?hash=test&i=imagick HTTP/1.1" 500 97773

Everything except the second to last entry will be different.

Finally and if the issue is caused by vBulletin, then you will need to look in your PHP error_log file and find the corresponding error that happened at the time stamp you retrieved above. If there is no corresponding entry in the PHP error_log or your have the PHP error_log file disabled on your server, it will be impossible for us to determine why this is occurring. Once you have the error entry from the PHP error_log file, and provide it to use (the entire line, copied and pasted, not a screenshot), then we can either try to resolve the issue or forward it to the developers for a bug fix.

Chances are it will be a different error for each of you because this doesn't occur in 99% of all mobile suite apps.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by GuerrillaTrading View Post
                    Trevor, as you are aware, we have recompiled the apps and this still has not resolved the issue. Are there any other suggestions as we cannot find this error in the server error logs
                    Your site is not available to guest users. The site must be available to guest users in order for the API to work properly. A guest user must be used to initiate access and then the user is logged in once a Client ID is created in the Mobile App. With your current permission setup, it will return an error on every API call.

By available to guest users, they must be able to see the Home Page node. They should not automatically see a log in page here. You can remove permissions on other nodes like Forums, Blogs, Articles, and Groups.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Give the Guest usergroup the "Can View Channel" permission on the Home Page under Channel Management → Channel Permissions. Remove that permission from the Forum, Blogs, Articles, and Group channels in the same location.

• GuerrillaTrading
                      GuerrillaTrading commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for this Wayne, I did try that and downloaded the application again (v2.7.0) and still hit the same issue. I will have to engage a third party to try and work out what is causing the issue as I am now stuck

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Downloading the app again will not resolve a server issue of 500. The app will make the same calls and the same error will be triggered. The only way to resolve the issue is to trace the logs on your server and figure out what is causing the 500 server error in the first place. If this error is caused by vBulletin, I outlined the way to do this above. It really doesn't take special expertise, only time and reading text files.
                  widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X