Mobile Suite - A year and a Half Old and yet...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBBurger
    • Oct 2010

Mobile Suite - A year and a Half Old and yet...

Hi all -

Apologies in advance as this may sound inflammatory. Its not intended to be. But I have just begun looking at the mobile suite option - even kicked out the whopping $200 for the "ability" to have it - and that struck me as very strange in the first place.

More importantly - I am seeing that this thing was released over a year and a half ago, and yet it stll does not do basic functions. Crashes repeatedly. Can't handle even basic things like custom fonts from forum posts.

A lot of people are listing things it can't do, and major problems, which kind of blows me away, given the fact that vBulletin is collecting *an additional* $200 on top of the already hundreds they collect for vBulletin itself.

If you look purely at the cost factor, we have an elite level advanced forum system for slightly more money, and yet we pay almost the same for something that is still sorely under-developed and doesn't work.

Vbulletin can be $395, but the mobile suite should be $25 based on its abilities / problems.

So I guess my question is - is this Mobile Suite going to be a huge, elaborate, (and gold plated) system soon? Or have the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars it has generated gone somewhere other than to enhancing the product?

Threads like this make me want my $200 back, so I think I will be requesting a refund:

Thoughts?
    Last edited by vBBurger; Sun 8 Jul '12, 10:28am.
    Helpful forums on hair loss support and information.
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by vBBurger
    Apologies in advance as this may sound inflammatory. Its not intended to be. But I have just begun looking at the mobile suite option - even kicked out the whopping $200 for the "ability" to have it - and that struck me as very strange in the first place.

More importantly - I am seeing that this thing was released over a year and a half ago, and yet it stll does not do basic functions. Crashes repeatedly. Can't handle even basic things like custom fonts from forum posts.

A lot of people are listing things it can't do, and major problems, which kind of blows me away, given the fact that vBulletin is collecting *an additional* $200 on top of the already hundreds they collect for vBulletin itself.

If you look purely at the cost factor, we have an elite level advanced forum system for slightly more money, and yet we pay almost the same for something that is still sorely under-developed and doesn't work.

Vbulletin can be $395, but the mobile suite should be $25 based on its abilities / problems.

So I guess my question is - is this Mobile Suite going to be a huge, elaborate, (and gold plated) system soon? Or have the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars it has generated gone somewhere other than to enhancing the product?

Threads like this make me want my $200 back, so I think I will be requesting a refund:

Thoughts?
    You're far from the only one to feel this way. What you're saying isn't inflammatory at all. It's quite obvious what has gone on and is going on. It's easier to dispense with customers that expect just something reasonable in return for the money they paid long ago by labeling them as "haters" of everything vBulletin. That's what it got me. I raised the issue of this extension ending weeks ago and there hasn't been a response since. The deliberate silence has been extremely insulting.

(And a reminder yet again to the great staff that work here and who don't set these policies and decisions, it's not directed at you. I'm sorry that some of you just can't or refuse to understand and appreciate just how insulting this really is.)
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Carbuff
      • Dec 2011
      • 4.2.X

The mobile suite is not a complete disaster. I personally have had much success with it, with the majority of my traffic coming from the apps. The mobile suite was why I purchased vBulletin in the first place. There have definitely been major bugs, and the performance is far from great. But the UI is the best of all other branded solutions.
      Anybody can go use something like Tapatalk for thousands of dollars per release per app(iOS, Android, Blackberry). Hiring a private developer can be $30,000.

So yes, it would be great to have the vBulletin UI with tapatalk performance and features, but hey the vBulletin app is only $200 bucks and its available instantly.
      My board: Auto Forum powered by vBulletin.

Comment

• slinky
        • Mar 2001
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Carbuff
        The mobile suite is not a complete disaster. I personally have had much success with it, with the majority of my traffic coming from the apps.
        No disrespect, are you talking about your forum that now has 240 threads and 45 in the largest forum? If you are, then we have very different standards for success and wish you the best of luck with growing your site.

The mobile suite was why I purchased vBulletin in the first place. There have definitely been major bugs, and the performance is far from great. But the UI is the best of all other branded solutions. Anybody can go use something like Tapatalk for thousands of dollars per release per app(iOS, Android, Blackberry). Hiring a private developer can be $30,000.
        Tapatalk is 100% free to a site owner. You must be joking if you say that the UI is better, especially the experience. I LOVE the push features in Tapatalk and get alerted every time someone responds to a thread. The UI is a piece of cake, easy to go back and forth. The only thing it is not is privately branded. And quite frankly, I think any site owner would sacrifice branding any day to performance that is "far from great" since nobody will care to use your forum if performance sucks.

So yes, it would be great to have the vBulletin UI with tapatalk performance and features, but hey the vBulletin app is only $200 bucks and its available instantly.
        Tapatalk is free. Download it. Most people have purchased the client anyways and it's how many of my users enjoy my forum at present. I was hoping to use the Suite to promote new forums but the app's performance being so "far from great" or even just reasonably reliable has made it not worth the risk of a big effort resulting in bad first impressions when there are other solutions that will at least get the job done.

Comment

• Carbuff
          • Dec 2011
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by slinky
          No disrespect, are you talking about your forum that now has 240 threads and 45 in the largest forum? If you are, then we have very different standards for success and wish you the best of luck with growing your site.

I have over 7,000 app downloads to date. Almost none of these users ever post, but they bring in a lot of traffic. I would be the first one to admit that my site still does not have much content, but that is not everything. I define success by bottom line (read: revenue) and that is driven by traffic, not by the size of the forum.

Originally posted by slinky
          The mobile suite was why I purchased vBulletin in the first place. There have definitely been major bugs, and the performance is far from great. But the UI is the best of all other branded solutions. Anybody can go use something like Tapatalk for thousands of dollars per release per app(iOS, Android, Blackberry). Hiring a private developer can be $30,000.
          Tapatalk is 100% free to a site owner. You must be joking if you say that the UI is better, especially the experience. I LOVE the push features in Tapatalk and get alerted every time someone responds to a thread. The UI is a piece of cake, easy to go back and forth. The only thing it is not is privately branded. And quite frankly, I think any site owner would sacrifice branding any day to performance that is "far from great" since nobody will care to use your forum if performance sucks.
          I am talking about the Branded Tapatalk solutions (like Howard forums, xda, android central).
          The sacrifices a site owner makes varies. Not everyone has a large budget or thinks it is a priority. The app is very much usable.
          My apps do not suffer to much on the performance side(rarely crashes), maybe because the forum is small on a good host.
          Last edited by Carbuff; Sun 8 Jul '12, 7:20pm.

Comment

• slinky
            • Mar 2001
            • 1.1.x

I have over 7,000 app downloads to date. Almost none of these users ever post, but they bring in a lot of traffic. I would be the first one to admit that my site still does not have much content, but that is not everything. I define success by bottom line (read: revenue) and that is driven by traffic, not by the size of the forum.
            If you've got 7,000 app downloads why do you have only 1 in 1,000 (if that) using it regularly? You have two of the maybe 20 accounts with a dozen or more posts. So how much revenue have you made as a result of this usage?

I completely understand where you're coming from. I intended on doing the exact same thing as you did over a year ago. Adrian touted this mobile suite as being IB's primary flagship mobile solution. I expected it to attract attention, put out a few press releases, etc. But it's even worse to waste my time, money and effort attracting attention to have 99% of those users come go to your site, turn away, never post a thing and are likely never coming back again. Putting up a few good ghost reviews won't help. I wish you the best of luck. I still think you should install Tapatalk and see how you do. It costs you nothing and perhaps it might even improve your post count so there is at least something to discuss on your forum. Good luck.

Comment

• Carbuff
              • Dec 2011
              • 4.2.X

How can you say how many people are using my forum? Again, nearly all the mobile users just view the forum (about 10 pages per visit), But don't post at all. I'm getting thousands of pageviews per day, and a couple hundred visitors.

All I'm saying is, is that the mobile suite is not a complete failure, and does have something to show for itself. I spend lots of time using the vBulletin community forum app, and it is my preferred method of accessing the forum. Different strokes for different folks

Comment

• slinky
                • Mar 2001
                • 1.1.x

How can you say how many people are using my forum? Again, nearly all the mobile users just view the forum (about 10 pages per visit), But don't post at all. I'm getting thousands of pageviews per day, and a couple hundred visitors.
                Do you ever wonder why you've got that many curious people who don't ever bother to post at all with the mobile suite app?

All I'm saying is, is that the mobile suite is not a complete failure, and does have something to show for itself. I spend lots of time using the vBulletin community forum app, and it is my preferred method of accessing the forum. Different strokes for different folks
                You're confusing (a) the pageviews you've generated as a result of marketing efforts telling lots of people about your mobile app, with (b) actual pageviews generated by the usefulness of the app and content it generates on your site.

So how long do you think this trend will last after your initial hoopla? I don't know how long you've been doing this. But if after your initial launch and marketing efforts you haven't created or generated enough decent content to keep curious people interested, you're likely to see material leveling off and decline in your results. Best of luck. I wonder if we have any other success stories.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎