No announcement yet.

Dedicated iPad app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had the money and was serious about my brand image for my website I would be using the branded TAPATALK option tbh. I had the mobile app at one stage and I'm more than happy having reverted back to using the free version of TAPATALK it just works so much better.

As for arguments about ad revenue, how many people make anything remotely substantial via ads as a whole and then mobile ads specifically. The ads thing is moot for most.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Many reasons.

Anyone with a serious business will want to limit the branding of third-parties when people visit their sites or share an app with thousands of other sites which could be competing sites.

Or they may decide not to charge their end users for the use of an app to their site. Everyone of your users paid $3.00 to $5.00 to visit your site on Tapatalk. Well that and the sites of any of your competitors.
      Exactly this.

It seems to me, it would be more advantageous for a small site to use a global app like Tapatalk simply because it's a way they can draw in users to their site that may not have ever heard of it before. But once you get large enough, you would be interested in an app as a service to your existing users, not necessarily as a way to get more users.

Originally posted by Mitzy View Post
      If I had the money and was serious about my brand image for my website I would be using the branded TAPATALK option tbh. I had the mobile app at one stage and I'm more than happy having reverted back to using the free version of TAPATALK it just works so much better.
      I think the first company to offer a iOS universal (both iPhone and iPad native) app that can be branded with push notifications will kill all the competition. Push notifications is really going to be the game changing feature... it ultimately becomes a mechanism to engage users in realtime and draw them back to the site more often.
      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Anyone with a serious business will want to limit the branding of third-parties when people visit their sites or share an app with thousands of other sites which could be competing sites.
        You have just described why the facebook app (which advertises competing sites) is not something anyone with a serious business will want.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
          You have just described why the facebook app (which advertises competing sites) is not something anyone with a serious business will want.
          Fixed: "why the facebook app (which has the option to advertise potential competing sites)"
          Its optional I thought? It does have +/- enabling but I wouldnt myself.

iPad related: tbh I dont want an ipad app version as full site browsing can be tweaked enough to be easy to use anyway and you have so many more options. The only thing I would like is push to ipad though, I am half tempted to write a wrapper app and only do push which opens the apps browser to the correct page and upload files/images into the site. Although app's can look good unless others drastically allow customisation of design or even source access (god I wish vbulletin had, I would have been far more tempted to buy it then) which would allow those that want to can integrate into their own apps/customise fully just like we do with vbulletin anyway. Allowing customers source access can have huge benefits as we see with vbulletin, imagine if vbulletin was encrypted. There are always concerns about people using illegal copies/ripping of code but there are those that can decrypt/decompile possibly anyway. More customers = win over piracy. I would happily sign an agreement/pay a bit more to gain access to the source to produce my own build.
          I believe tapatalk does allow a engine of sorts but the buy is very very high especially since they boosts the costs recently further. Forum runner looks okay but I want to be able to publish the app myself as if I stopped paying to use forum runner to use my own app everyone would have to remove the old app which we be disabled by them, then install the new app which is extra pain.

Comment

No, its no option. You can not turn it off. And data goes through Internet Brands their servers. The same Internet Brands that owns competing sites.

But thats off topic.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

I dont like how the app looks on iPad, and would like a proper gig for that too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X