iOS Device Mobile Style Incompatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS Device Mobile Style Incompatibility

I originally posted this as an iPad issue, but I thought I would start a new thread as it seems to affect all iOS devices.

Based on my testing, when an iOS user has "private browsing" turned on (settings, safari, private browsing="on") the Premium Mobile Style renders a completely blank page and locks the user out of the site until they clear their browser cache, one way or another. As this is a fairly common setting, people should be cautious with this style. I would be very careful about setting the mobile style as a default for mobile devices, or otherwise. If an Apple mobile device has private browsing turned on, your site will look like nothing is there and broken - and will continue to until they figure out that they need to clear their browser cache. For the standard user, your site may not be accessible.

Not sure how we can fix this to be honest. The Private Browsing isn't supposed to be using the browser cache or at least use a separate one for that session. I guess it comes down to iOS which is actually sessionless and writes the cache to the Flash storage when an App is closed.

I suggest listing this as a bug with the mobile style and maybe there is something in Apple's HTML5 APIs that can be used to determine the status of Private Browsing.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

iOS Device Mobile Style Incompatibility

Can confirm this also. I have the same issue and only now do I know why.
      UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

Here is the part that bothers me a little bit. I am a paying customer. You have a product that has a pretty obvious defect, that I have made you aware of. You ask ME to submit a bug report. Seems like you are asking your customers to do your job for you. I played this game with the mobile app, but am not going to do it any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by deschutes View Post
          Here is the part that bothers me a little bit. I am a paying customer. You have a product that has a pretty obvious defect, that I have made you aware of. You ask ME to submit a bug report. Seems like you are asking your customers to do your job for you. I played this game with the mobile app, but am not going to do it any longer.
          I can't recreate the problem or I'd enter it into the system. Since I can't recreate the problem, I can't answer any questions the developers might have about it. This will only result in it being closed for lack of a response and not getting fixed. It is always prudent for the person with the issue to enter it into the bug tracker. This way when follow up is needed, they can provide that. You're not doing my job because my job isn't entering bugs into JIRA. It is providing support to you and helping you get issues resolved when I can. For the record, I tried recreating the problem but it simply doesn't occur on my iPad using iOS 5.0.1.

Not sure how entering it into JIRA is much different than creating a thread.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I can't recreate problem on my iPad cause it doesn't even load the mobile style and its not in the drop down list to choose

iPad

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-03 at 07.11.46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	3686352Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-03 at 07.15.27.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	3686353

iPhone 4S (Private Browsing Disabled)

Name:	2012-01-03 at 07.15.17.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	3686354

iPhone 4S (Private Browsing ENABLED)

Name:	2012-01-03 at 07.14.41.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	3686355

So it does affect the iPhone using private browsing but as was said I don't think this is a problem on vB end think is a issue on apples end because when set to private browsing doesn't save cookies, etc........ But not a big issue cause 90%+ of people don't even use Private Browsing..... Yes would be nice if got fixed but not a hire priority on my list..... Me first more important issues like the PM bug in the mobile apps, in-app purchases, etc...
            ------------------------------------------
            Steve
            DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

The only problem I have is once you log out you can not log back in as the log in link takes you to the CMS page. Then its not possible to change back to the full site, this is the same with or without private browsing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X