This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call to open up the source of the mobile applications

There has been a fair bit of talk about the mobile suite not being updated fast enough, or the current version v1.1.3 not being made available. It has been over 2 months since it was decided it was stable to use on the official vbulletin.com app, but it's still not good to share with paying customers. There has been mentions of staff that they've had issues with capacity :
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    This isn't down to desire to bring in more money by not updating it but by resource issues as previously stated. I'm sure you've all seen that mobile developers have left...
    And my idea is that the source should be opened up, to have the equivalent of vb.org, where hacks to the mobile apps would also be possible. Still you could charge a license fee, to get access to the code, and it could be for licenses via the same way that the web version is tested. Here you push some of the responsibility for innovation back to the community, and you take some of the burden off the iOS / Android internal developers.

Would you, the customer like to see this ? What are your thoughts ?
    My Sites :

Either source needs to be opened up &/or $99 Annual Fee needs to be removed don't feel it's right to charge a yearly fee but give us NOTHING in return.
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

It will be a good idea.

Comment

I think the larger issue is the fact that they do not have mobile developers on the team as pointed out by Trevor.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I agree, this needs to be open source. I think its ridiculous that were expected to pay $100 a year without updates.

VB is getting away with robbery.
          <signature removed by staff>

Comment

You may or may not be getting updates, -- due to the strategic nature of the service, this will not be announced until two weeks prior to the possible release. The release date is also confidential.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

1. Why should mobile apps which customers paid for go open source to all those who didn't pay for it?

2. If customers paid for it, why are there no mobile application developers?

3. If anything, this app should come with a lifetime of updates, just like VB 4 which doesn't have annual maintenance fees. At this rate, it should just come with a updates over the course of your lifetime.
              My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
                2. If customers paid for it, why are there no mobile application developers?
                This issue is being worked on

Comment

Originally posted by CvP View Post
                  That post by Trevor linked above is from several weeks ago. In that quote he mentions the Developers quit. But not when they quit.

Going by that quote alone as I have not seen the thread about the mobile Developers walking out yet, it's been at least 2 weeks, probably more.

And you're stating just today, that this is still being worked on?

Here's my problem with that: the vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org forums have seen many developers come and go over the years and there's always another coming up to take the place of the ones who have moved on. These forums have many developers visiting too, I would assume, as they work on their own forums. Good coders, some of them, that could probably use a good paying job.

How can it be that this issue is still being worked on, but not sorted out yet?

I think who ever is in charge of hiring, should be given a kick in the butt. It sounds like, by this time line, and by your post and Trevor's that they're waiting for resumes to land on the desk instead of going right outside the door and grabbing a few able bodied men to get this thing back on track. (my apologies to those that have been brought in to date, I'm not overlooking you) I can't believe there are no more developers available to go to to work for vbulletin, that seems very strange to me.

I would be guessing of course, but couldn't you hire 50 in a day or so, test their mad skillz in another day or so and have a solid team in 2 weeks? And if not, why not?

Something else is going on here I think and whatever it is, I hope it comes and goes quickly so we can get on with it. These forums are filling up with needless BS these days all complaining about the same old gripes.

When you have a problem with an employee at a store or a restaurant or wherever, you ask to speak with the manager. We all know this. But what if the manager is the problem? If you can't deal with him you get up and walk out and spend your money somewhere else next time.

I don't think I'm alone in stating that I'm not ready to get up and walk out, not just yet. But, posts like yours:
                  ...make me want to.

No offense to you personally of course. Whomever is in charge of hiring is going to have to pick up the pace though. This long standing great forum community is blowing up in the faces of those who can fix this.

I for one find myself very offended to read that this issue is "still being worked on" That's just not good enough for something I paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Infopro View Post
                    And you're stating just today, that this is still being worked on?

Here's my problem with that: the vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org forums have seen many developers come and go over the years and there's always another coming up to take the place of the ones who have moved on. These forums have many developers visiting too, I would assume, as they work on their own forums. Good coders, some of them, that could probably use a good paying job.

How can it be that this issue is still being worked on, but not sorted out yet?

----

Something else is going on here I think and whatever it is, I hope it comes and goes quickly so we can get on with it. These forums are filling up with needless BS these days all complaining about the same old gripes.

-----

I for one find myself very offended to read that this issue is "still being worked on" That's just not good enough for something I paid for.
                    The idea is simple - work on throwing out maybe 1 or 2 things before the end of the support period and pretend as if getting 1/10 the work you paid for was sufficient. It's a repetitive cycle of abuse here - the VB 4 Suite is the same way and they mock the customers with every minimal update and the rumor of more stuff you can buy. The first thing they should have done was to say "due to our inability to actually work on the mobile application for months, all of you early adopters are getting a full additional year of support." Instead, they force the customers to come here and humiliate the company sufficiently into providing even the smallest amount of recognition -- and then they attempt to humiliate the customer when the customer is persistent. "Don't you have something better to do with your time?"

The overwhelming majority of customers left here (and "positive thinkers") are those who have something to sell that is dependent upon a vBulletin customer base. It's sad. The desire to extract maximum cash out of the customer for the least possible work without getting sued is the business plan. At least there is transparency.

Comment

I'm certainly not the one who is in charge of hiring.

I am not in a position to say anything more except that this issue has been a top priority for quite some time (not just now). May be ask Lawrence...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLV702 View Post
                        don't feel it's right to charge a yearly fee but give us NOTHING in return.
                        seems about par for vbulletin (iNet) the past few years..
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...94#post2232094
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I am not in a position to say anything more except that this issue has been a top priority for quite some time (not just now). May be ask Lawrence...
                            If the CEO didn't get paid, that would be "top priority" and remedied within the hour. If anyone here didn't get paid and it was contingent on something being provided to the customer, it would get done, just like fixing the CMS. Just say it's coming "soon" and be done with it. We know what that means. And nobody has spoken about what to do about the lost time for development customers paid for = swept under the carpet.
                            Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
                            You absolutely may. This week we've resolved the issues gating the mobile releases and are gearing up to proceed with making the 1.1.3 release public as soon as possible. In addition we are re-focusing on a short to longterm mobile app roadmap that will allow us to provide some consistency in the application releases, including maintenance and improvements.
                            Wayne... more words, words, words. Wayne, Anders - this is *not* any criticism of you. If only you, Anders and Allen and the rest of the team could be released from this 110% profit-at-all-costs driven place and allowed to work as you see fit so we'll believe one iota of what is said here. I have no doubt your intentions are good. Why should any customer believe that we're now getting a road map for the mobile app? This makes perfect sense and flies in the face of the VB 4 upgrade farce for which nobody in charge is willing to actually state what VB 4 is and a road map for the perpetually undefined product. I can't wait for the VB 5 announcement. If you think VB 4 was bad, the longer the executives stay in denial, the bigger impact that announcement will have.

I guess we'll wait a week and see what top priority gets us.
                            Last edited by slinky; Mon 14 Nov '11, 9:26am.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
                              If the CEO didn't get paid, that would be "top priority" and remedied within the hour. If anyone here didn't get paid and it was contingent on something being provided to the customer, it would get done, just like fixing the CMS. Just say it's coming "soon" and be done with it. We know what that means. And nobody has spoken about what to do about the lost time for development customers paid for = swept under the carpet.
                              This kinda response make me shoot myself for posting here in the first place...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X