Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

App Name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • App Name

    why does it only allow us to name our app a max of 12 charactors when both Android Market and Apple App Store both allow more then that... like one of my apps wanted to name Digital Mayhem but to many characters so had to settle with DM Mobile same thing with my Console Network app had to name it CN Mobile......


    Android allows a max of 30 characters..

    Apple allows a max of 255 bytes or 255 charactors. (I just went in and started a new app and put in a name that contains 78 characters and it accepted it)


    So the max that vBulletin should allow for a app name is 30 not 12.....
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

  • #2
    Originally posted by SteveLV702 View Post
    why does it only allow us to name our app a max of 12 charactors when both Android Market and Apple App Store both allow more then that... like one of my apps wanted to name Digital Mayhem but to many characters so had to settle with DM Mobile same thing with my Console Network app had to name it CN Mobile......


    Android allows a max of 30 characters..

    Apple allows a max of 255 bytes or 255 charactors. (I just went in and started a new app and put in a name that contains 78 characters and it accepted it)


    So the max that vBulletin should allow for a app name is 30 not 12.....
    I assumed this was an android/apple restriction. I know it's too short for what my app should be name, which is the name of my forum, and I wanted to add mobile to the end of it.
    BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
    Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tnedator View Post
      I assumed this was an android/apple restriction. I know it's too short for what my app should be name, which is the name of my forum, and I wanted to add mobile to the end of it.
      nope not a Android/Apple Restriction... dont know where vbulletin got it...
      ------------------------------------------
      Steve
      DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

      Comment


      • #4
        a staff response to this would be nice......

        Comment


        • #5
          I was disappointed to see that I couldn't name it what I wanted. I see other apps names being long........why does VB do this?
          <signature removed by staff>

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CEO254 View Post
            I was disappointed to see that I couldn't name it what I wanted. I see other apps names being long........why does VB do this?
            iphone only shows 12 chars in the app name on the phone
            anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
            Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
            Please be my friend!
            http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
            vBulletin Performance Articles:
            Click here to read

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
              iphone only shows 12 chars in the app name on the phone
              Fair enough
              <signature removed by staff>

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the response Anders and fair enough, but, if it's an option, I would like to be able to use the maximum characters allowed for naming my application regardless of the amount of characters that will be visible under the icon. 12 characters is 1 shy of what I would need to name my mobile app the same as my forum. I don't really care what is displayed text wise as I hope that my icon will be "iconic" enough that it is what they associate with the app It will be kind of stupid for users to have the app called "arachnoboard" instead of "arachnoboards", regardless of what's displayed on their screen, no?

                Comment


                • #9
                  regardless of what vbulletin allows you to name it I put what I wanted to in the Apple/Android market so while its named with vBulletin DM Mobile I have it named with Apple & Android as: Digital Mayhem Mobile Lite
                  ------------------------------------------
                  Steve
                  DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                  CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                  TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                  Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mrderanged View Post
                    Thanks for the response Anders and fair enough, but, if it's an option, I would like to be able to use the maximum characters allowed for naming my application regardless of the amount of characters that will be visible under the icon. 12 characters is 1 shy of what I would need to name my mobile app the same as my forum. I don't really care what is displayed text wise as I hope that my icon will be "iconic" enough that it is what they associate with the app It will be kind of stupid for users to have the app called "arachnoboard" instead of "arachnoboards", regardless of what's displayed on their screen, no?
                    Ditto.
                    BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
                    Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
                      iphone only shows 12 chars in the app name on the phone
                      Two fo CNET's Top Ten Iphone apps of 2010 have more than 12 characters in them:

                      dictionary.com
                      flight control

                      On my Android, I have a half dozen or more apps with far more than 12 characters, and the Droid easily supports it.

                      I really think this is one to rethink and quickly. This arbitrary limitation (like limiting the use of the word forum, which you have fixed) hurts a lot of us by forcing us to not use a name that represents our sites.
                      BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
                      Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tnedator View Post
                        Two fo CNET's Top Ten Iphone apps of 2010 have more than 12 characters in them:

                        dictionary.com
                        flight control

                        On my Android, I have a half dozen or more apps with far more than 12 characters, and the Droid easily supports it.

                        I really think this is one to rethink and quickly. This arbitrary limitation (like limiting the use of the word forum, which you have fixed) hurts a lot of us by forcing us to not use a name that represents our sites.
                        Please understand. Itunes allows more characters; but the device only shows 12.
                        anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
                        Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
                        Please be my friend!
                        http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
                        vBulletin Performance Articles:
                        Click here to read

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          when you go to submit your app to apple or android you can use a name longer then 12 characters and this will be the name that will display in the App Store and Android Market and then 12 character name will just apply to your icon that actually displays on the phone itself...

                          for example I submitted the names to apple of

                          Digital Mayhem Mobile Lite
                          Console Network Mobile Lite
                          TheFaFClan Lite
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhoneDM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3681983Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-TheFaFClan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3681984Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-ConsoleNetwork.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	3681985

                          But on phone it uses the DM Mobile, CN Mobile, TheFaFClan in the actual icon that appears on the phone
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-22 at 15.42.06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	3681986

                          And same thing with Android
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	AndroidMarket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	3681987
                          ------------------------------------------
                          Steve
                          DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X