Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threads mixed up after merger of 2 VB forums

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Threads mixed up after merger of 2 VB forums

    I merged two VB 4.1.12 forums today using Impex.

    When done I can see that the threads and posts and members all are contained in the newly merged forum, but the threads and posts are mixed up. I've found instances of a thread on Forum B that contained 3 posts showing up at the end of a totally different thread on Forum A. All three posts are there and the Thread title from forum b is showing on the 3 imported posts.

    I purchased both of these forums, and I know that Forum A had been Impexed once before from PHPBB to VB some time ago. So, I removed the import ID and cleaned everything on Forum A before the import. But I don't know the story on Forum B. I'd doubt it though.

    This mixing of posts and forums is not a one time occurrance. I'm finding lot of evidence of a post from Forum B showing up in a completely different thread on Forum A after the merger.

    I checked and all posts and all threads and all members merged -- just not correctly.

    One thing I might have down wrong. I checked "yes" on making users with the same email address to be merged.

    PS. I tested the merger twice without this issue on a DEV server first. And, I backed up the Forum A database so that I can reset everything and try again. No worries.

  • #2
    How did you merge the two forums? Did you install a fresh vBulletin and then used impex on both forums? Or did you take one of the forums and then only imported from the 2nd one?
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

    Comment


    • #3
      I installed impex on forum A and imported forum B into forum A.

      Is that not how to do this?

      I did two test runs on a DEV server, but I'm ashamed to say, I checked the post totals and member names to insure that they were merged properly, but I never looked at it down at the post and thread level. So, I don't know if the test run yielded the same result or not. And, I deleted the last test run so I cant go back and check.

      Yesterday, I did it on the production site, and thought all was fine. Members from forum B were now showing on Forum A. And their post counts were correct. It was only at the last second before opening up the newly merged Forum A that I noticed that the posts existed, but in the wrong threads. I found some threads from Forum B inside existing threads on Forum A and I found single post threads from Forum B in single post threads on Forum A but with a completely different title.

      I was hoping to hear from folks here, before I attempt this again.

      Comment

      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X