Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing from Xenforo to vB4 via IPB....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Importing from Xenforo to vB4 via IPB....

    Hi guys,

    Looking to leave Xenforo due to the lack of info/updates. Shame, however needs must.

    So - Have imported direct from xF to vB, and whilst most things are ok, there's a number of things that don't work (due to the importer - mainly lack of import of inline thread images - however there's no further work being done on the importer ).

    However looking at some that have made the jump they have gone Via IPB.

    Has anyone done this and aware of any problems/issues at all??

    Thx

    Edit - Just to add, vB at 4.2.0, ipb 3.3.4, xF 1.1.3
    Last edited by Toibs; Fri 5 Oct '12, 2:16am.

  • #2
    Were you using Andreas' XF to vB importer to make the move?
    Vote for:

    - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

    Comment


    • #3
      Trevor,

      Yes - Whilst it imported the content, none of the inline images worked (there are also others with the same problems). Heard from others that going via the IPB route fixes the problems.... (hopefully!)

      Cheers
      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah I ended up doing the XF-IPB-VB route and was a nightmare, but got here eventually.
        Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by soniceffect View Post
          Yeah I ended up doing the XF-IPB-VB route and was a nightmare, but got here eventually.
          Thanks soniceffect

          could i ask what issues you had? (just so i know whats potentially on the horizon!!!!)...

          Also - did all the inline thread images come out ok?

          Cheers

          Comment


          • #6
            I went xf to vb and vb to xf with zero problems.

            This was the latest 4.x version of vb, and the latest version of xf both ways.
            The attachment imported over both times with no problems, the inline images did have a small issues since the attachment ID had changed.
            -- Web Developer for hire
            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Toibs View Post
              Yes - Whilst it imported the content, none of the inline images worked (there are also others with the same problems). Heard from others that going via the IPB route fixes the problems.... (hopefully!)
              I heard from several people that the importer makes problems sometimes. The best source for a good transfer would be a XF with no addons just left to the basic. Most of the people believe that switching from one software to another one will be done automatically, but in fact there has to be a lot of manual work done afterwards (like in your case: how could vB know the source for the inline images in XF?).
              No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Toibs View Post
                Thanks soniceffect

                could i ask what issues you had? (just so i know whats potentially on the horizon!!!!)...

                Also - did all the inline thread images come out ok?

                Cheers
                No there were issues. Also I lost all links on google. If you have a choice between straight import with redirection of your posts, or via IPB then choose the straight import and deal with the issues. That would be my honest opinion m8 and what I would have done had the importer been available at the time.
                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                  ...the inline images did have a small issues since the attachment ID had changed.
                  I would think a custom script to convert the xf attachments to vB4 attachments is all that is needed. The script would parse the pagetext of each post and make the change.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great - looks like I could be in for a long night!!.... thanks for the advice chaps. I'll go for an import via IPB first since i know what the results are on a direct import, and then make the call from there....

                    Wish me luck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      I would think a custom script to convert the xf attachments to vB4 attachments is all that is needed. The script would parse the pagetext of each post and make the change.
                      Would be perfect. Doesnt exist though

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Toibs View Post
                        Would be perfect. Doesnt exist though
                        You can ask at vb.org for help creating one.

                        http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Indeed, if ya dont ask ya dont get
                          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X