Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impex question - vb4 to vb4

Hi,

I currently own a vbulletin forum. ( running vb 4.1.5 ) and I'm looking at purchasing another forum running vb4. ( not to sure on what exact version number ).

I'm just wondering, that is it possible with Impex. To merge the members and threads/posts from the bought forum. Into my original forum?

Sorry if that has been asked before, I just want to be 100% sure before I look at buying this new forum.

Thanks

Impex question - vb4 to vb4

Last edited by khbadr; Fri 17 Feb '12, 1:56pm.

Comment

Yes it is possible. It is no different than any other import into vB. Just select vB as the source and vB as the target.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
        Yes it is possible. It is no different than any other import into vB. Just select vB as the source and vB as the target.
        Thanks.

Just wondering, how does Impex handle members having the same username?

Comment

Originally posted by Reizar View Post
          It will prefix the incoming usernames with "imported_" when there is a conflict. Then you can sort them out later. It also has an option to automatically merge users who have the same email address.

Comment

Originally posted by Reizar View Post
            Thanks.

If I recall correctly, if there is a username on the target forum database that exists in the imported data, ImpEx will tag the imported username with 'import' prefixed to their name. (It won't affect the users on the target database that were preexisting). I haven't run ImpEx in awhile, but I don't think that basic function would have changed.

Edit: dammit. I was still writing, anyway.... sorry for the duplicated answer.
            To be updated...

Comment

This seems like the right place to ask this, so I'll start here.

What forum(s) do the imported threads go into? Do they just go into a forum in the destination board with the same name? If so, then if I wanted all of my merged threads and posts to go into a single master forum, I should just set it up that way on the source board so it will show up that way on the destination board?

Comment

Originally posted by ispots View Post
                This seems like the right place to ask this, so I'll start here.

What forum(s) do the imported threads go into? Do they just go into a forum in the destination board with the same name? If so, then if I wanted all of my merged threads and posts to go into a single master forum, I should just set it up that way on the source board so it will show up that way on the destination board?
                Imported forums are created. Any combining of source and target forums must be done manually after the import. The forum names don't matter. You will end up with two forums with the same name, after which you can mass move threads between forums to consolidate.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X