Any plans for a VB4 to VB4 importer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjordan View Post
    This has been asked for in the past many times and vB staff has always come back and said that it will not be made available for reasons that it would be used as a way to "upgrade" a forum from one version to another. I have asked for this for the same reasons as here in the past -- to merge two 4.x sites. I am still sitting on a forum that I purchased the database (not the forum software) to merge into my own that is of the 4.x variety from months back..
    I am not aware of any staff saying this. Can you provide a link to this statement?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

15 votes so far

Out of curiousity, is there a dedicated Impex developer anymore?

Comment

There is no dedicated Impex developer. I have made this request to the Devs and it's in their hands now.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thankyou Steve, that's greatly appreciated.

From what I can tell, most of the import process works ok, except when you select to merge users during the user import, and of course, attachments.

When we ran a test import from one VB4 forum to VB 3.8, although it did it without error, random users appeared to have been merged, thus, breaking many accounts, heh

Attachments of course, wouldn't copy across, I assume due to the new database structure.

Comment

Just got an email update from Jira, the status has been changed from Unconfirmed to Scrubbed and the priority has gone from Medium to "Major"
            Oh and it's been assigned to - Freddie Bingham

Comment

Impex worked fairly well for me importing from 4.1 to 4.1. However, I did not have any users or content at the new site... and no attachments at the old site. I think the only issue was it did not import the articles from the old forum. Otherwise, it seems to have worked good enough.
              http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums

Comment

Originally posted by Deimos View Post
                From what I can tell, most of the import process works ok, except when you select to merge users during the user import, and of course, attachments.
                Attachments would be an issue, I cant think of any reason why merging users would be a problem.

There are also the features of 4.x suite that would not exist in 3.8 (CMS Articles & Blogs). I pretty much covered it all while doing an importer for vb4 elsewhere.
                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Not sure why the user merge didn't work either, I chose the option to merge if the email addresses matched, but it merged accounts which weren't related at all.
                  Seemed to do it to quite a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                    Attachments would be an issue, I cant think of any reason why merging users would be a problem.

There are also the features of 4.x suite that would not exist in 3.8 (CMS Articles & Blogs). I pretty much covered it all while doing an importer for vb4 elsewhere.
                    Paul are you saying you've made a working importer? If so could we have access to it, or was it released privately?

Comment

Sorry, no, I wasnt talking about an Impex importer.
                      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        I have made this request to the Devs and it's in their hands now.
                        good to hear, hopefully it doesn't take another year for the update
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

I`ve voted and to be honest it should be a standard thing not something that might be fixed if someone can be bothered to look at it

I too have lost a potentially good client because of this and as Da_Vinci pointed out IB are more fussed with releasing vb5 than fixing vb4 and thats out of order

Comment

I would like to "split" a vB board into two. While impex vb4 would be a great help (but doesnt exist yet), is there any other way? How do I create a mirror image of a forum with a different URL and different database copy? (On the same web and mysql server). I can then selectively DELETE the forums I don't want on each board.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonadesoda View Post
                              I would like to "split" a vB board into two. While impex vb4 would be a great help (but doesnt exist yet), is there any other way? How do I create a mirror image of a forum with a different URL and different database copy? (On the same web and mysql server). I can then selectively DELETE the forums I don't want on each board.
                              This is off-topic, but that is the way I'd do it. Backup and restore the complete database to the new forum, then delete what you don't want. Of course this will require a separate licese for each site.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

19 votes now, do we have a time frame on the completion of this?

The way I see it is the demand for this upgrade is only going to grow, it would be nice if IB or who ever it is who now owns VBulletin to give it's loyal customers who have stuck with VB through now what is becoming thick and thin to give us a definitive official response.

I don't mind waiting, so long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I really need to get these two sites merged as buying the second site has cost me quite a bit of money, and from what I see an up to date Impex system should be available as standard especially considering we're up to VB4.1.0 and over 12 months since the release of the VB4 series.
                                Last edited by Da_Vinci; Sun 2 Jan '11, 1:18pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X