Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impex is a piece of sh**.

Hi Folks,

ok, Ive spent 11 hours now doing an upgrade followed by an import, and Ive just managed to lose all my data because impex's text import routines are total cr...

My Path:

vb3.6.8 --> vb4.0.6 Upgrade
    Result: Success, imported 50,000 posts and 15,200 users pretty much ok.. a few things went wrong, but I managed to fix them easily enough.

THEN:

IMPEX a simple TEXT CSV file with another 8,200 users
    Result: hours of pissing around with the text file because vb wouldnt recognise it. Finally get it to work, import all the data, and all my forums and posts disappear.

RESULT: Ive now got a board with my 23,000 users, and no forums, or threads. I have to restore my backup, and redo the import, which will probably have the same results again.

I realise you guys have got a lot to fix in your software, but a csv import is pretty basic right?

Originally posted by MOG View Post
    Hi Folks,

ok, Ive spent 11 hours now doing an upgrade followed by an import, and Ive just managed to lose all my data because impex's text import routines are total cr...

My Path:

vb3.6.8 --> vb4.0.6 Upgrade
    Result: Success, imported 50,000 posts and 15,200 users pretty much ok.. a few things went wrong, but I managed to fix them easily enough.

THEN:

IMPEX a simple TEXT CSV file with another 8,200 users
    Result: hours of pissing around with the text file because vb wouldnt recognise it. Finally get it to work, import all the data, and all my forums and posts disappear.

RESULT: Ive now got a board with my 23,000 users, and no forums, or threads. I have to restore my backup, and redo the import, which will probably have the same results again.

I realise you guys have got a lot to fix in your software, but a csv import is pretty basic right?

You shouldn''t use the Impex to upgrade the forum. To upgrade you must use the upgrader.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
      You shouldn''t use the Impex to upgrade the forum. To upgrade you must use the upgrader.

I DID UPGRADE FIRST - read my post.

I THEN used impex to import more users from a text file, which f****d up my site.
      Last edited by MOG; Tue 14 Sep '10, 2:58pm.

Comment

(Im venting here by the way, dont take it personally)

Comment

ok - MOVING FORWARD -

can anyone recommend how I can now re-import the forums, threads and posts ONLY from my sql backup,

....rather than restoring that file and then trying to re-import the users again?

Comment

I would seriously open up a support ticket. Jerry, the Impex developer has left IB. So I am not even sure if someone is watching this forum. IF there is anyone that knows Impex well, then I would expect that you can reach that person trough a support ticket.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X