SMF 1.1.11 to vBulletin 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMF 1.1.11 to vBulletin 4

I've encountered an issue while trying to import user accounts and posts from an existing SMF 1.1.11 site to the latest vBulletin 4. I downloaded the latest Impex from the same place I downloaded the latest vBulletin however I get an error saying that some of the tables (such as users, etc) don't exist for SMF.

I have to assume that the version of SMF from 1.1.11 to SMF 2 has altered the database structure significantly. I'm wondering if an older version of imprex would be able to convert the older SMF over to a compatible VBulletin? Would I be able to do this or has VBulletin versions 2 or 3 changed probably just as much as SMF versions have?

Thanks for any light you may shed on the matter.

Originally posted by jkamcmillen View Post
    I've encountered an issue while trying to import user accounts and posts from an existing SMF 1.1.11 site to the latest vBulletin 4. I downloaded the latest Impex from the same place I downloaded the latest vBulletin however I get an error saying that some of the tables (such as users, etc) don't exist for SMF.

I have to assume that the version of SMF from 1.1.11 to SMF 2 has altered the database structure significantly. I'm wondering if an older version of imprex would be able to convert the older SMF over to a compatible VBulletin? Would I be able to do this or has VBulletin versions 2 or 3 changed probably just as much as SMF versions have?

Thanks for any light you may shed on the matter.
    Before you ran the Ipmex, did you choose for smf 1x from the drop down version list?

P.s. What was the exact error message you got? And welcome to vB btw

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by borbole View Post
      Before you ran the Ipmex, did you choose for smf 1x from the drop down version list?

P.s. What was the exact error message you got? And welcome to vB btw

Well there was no drop-down to speak of when I ran Impex. All I had was the huge wall of links to CMS/Forum project sites. There was however what seemed to be 2 separate links for SMF, one with the acronym and another that was spelled out.

The error was not very useful unfortunately it said "Unknown Error" in the red box with the exclaimation point. The only direction I got was the red text that listed the tables from the source (SMF database) which it did not find. ie. looking for smf_users not smf_members, etc...

Comment

Before you run the Impes you should choose the Version of Smf from the drop down list of forum names. Because if you want to convert from smf 1x for ex and the smf 2x is chosen instead by mistake or accidental then you run into issues due to the db changes in the structure of the Smf versions.

Comment

Ok, I figured it out. I had a long read of the 'official' documentation regarding Impex. Unfortunately it's not a very easy read as it goes into heavy detail about some of the more simple issues (unzipping files and using an FTP program) however it lacks a simple clarity on what files are to be uploaded where for the more experienced web technology users. Perhaps it's just the layout of the instructions themselves, but it would have been useful to have a simplified description of where all the files should be placed within your vBulletin installation.

Another issue I had was that some of the information on Impex was a bit dated from the current version. ie. You cannot simply upload the entire contents of the 'upload' folder as the impex folder is actually inside another impex folder which is NOT the one you want to upload. This step also caused some confusion as well because we are being told to upload these files, but not knowing exactly where to upload them yet. Maybe adding a "NOTE" or "WARNING" would be helpful?

At any rate, I did eventually get it working, but these may be good points to take up for the next documentation update.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by jkamcmillen View Post
            Ok, I figured it out. I had a long read of the 'official' documentation regarding Impex. Unfortunately it's not a very easy read as it goes into heavy detail about some of the more simple issues (unzipping files and using an FTP program) however it lacks a simple clarity on what files are to be uploaded where for the more experienced web technology users. Perhaps it's just the layout of the instructions themselves, but it would have been useful to have a simplified description of where all the files should be placed within your vBulletin installation.

Another issue I had was that some of the information on Impex was a bit dated from the current version. ie. You cannot simply upload the entire contents of the 'upload' folder as the impex folder is actually inside another impex folder which is NOT the one you want to upload. This step also caused some confusion as well because we are being told to upload these files, but not knowing exactly where to upload them yet. Maybe adding a "NOTE" or "WARNING" would be helpful?

At any rate, I did eventually get it working, but these may be good points to take up for the next documentation update.

Thanks again for your help!
            You are welcome, glad to see that you got it working

Personally I think that the Impex instructions are very clear and detailed but if you think they can use some improvements then please post your suggestions at the Impex forum. Maybe the staff will take them into consideration.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-Import-System

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X