Importing VB4 to another VB4 forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing VB4 to another VB4 forum?

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to import a lesser used Vbulletin 4.0 forum, into an active VB 4.0 forum?

I did try it using the vb 3.7 impex importer, but of course, it fails on the attachment section, no doubt due to the changes with 4.0

There are many of us that have expressed a genuine need for this. Unfortunately, they do not wish to add this functionality. If I remember correctly, they did not want it to be used as an "unsupported upgrade path" for vBulletin. For those of us that purchase or otherwise take over another site that is running vBulletin 4.x, we are out of luck. I hope that this one day changes, but until then...

Comment

I'm also waiting on an importer from 4.x
      we can import into 4.x, but not from..
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Deimos View Post
        I'm trying to find out if it's possible to import a lesser used Vbulletin 4.0 forum, into an active VB 4.0 forum?

I did try it using the vb 3.7 impex importer, but of course, it fails on the attachment section, no doubt due to the changes with 4.0
        Change HOW you have attachments stored, IF it's in the Database then move them to the Filesystem or vice-versa then check and see.

Originally posted by rjordan View Post
        There are many of us that have expressed a genuine need for this. Unfortunately, they do not wish to add this functionality. If I remember correctly, they did not want it to be used as an "unsupported upgrade path" for vBulletin. For those of us that purchase or otherwise take over another site that is running vBulletin 4.x, we are out of luck. I hope that this one day changes, but until then...
        Huh? If you purchase and take over another site AND you transferred the license the proper way I see no use for this... correct me if I'm wrong!

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
        I'm also waiting on an importer from 4.x
        we can import into 4.x, but not from..
        You can however there will be issues, I've ONLY done that in the past when there was no other option, for example when 4.0 first came I had two, three, four or more lol clients who tried to upgrade themselves and none of them did it properly by making a backup, the upgrade failed part of the way through on each and they were left with an awkward looking an quite unusable forum. I did what had to be done and several communities that would have been lost forever are still up and running .

I want to be perfectly clear though, I'm not being smug or a smart-arse but if your not experience don't try it and even if you are expect to do some cleanup afterwards and even then it's always hoping for the best .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
          You can however there will be issues
          well with my situation of buying and merging forums with mine, until impex supports 4.x to 4.x, I can't upgrade.
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
            Huh? If you purchase and take over another site AND you transferred the license the proper way I see no use for this... correct me if I'm wrong!
            Actually, it is simple to answer. I purchased the site content from another site running vBulletin. They wanted to move their direction somewhere else and I wanted to keep the old content going. They kept the forum license and software. I wanted the database to integrate into my existing forum. No license or forum software changed hands. Again, unfortunately, this is not supported.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X