Any way to bulk load users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to bulk load users?

I'm new to vBulletin and looking for a way to integrate other systems with vBulletin to accomplish single sign-on. I'm mystified by the API documentation -- it doesn't really provide much direction on how to get this done.
    Short of coding to the API is there any other way to import users? For example is there a way to load users in bulk - from a .csv? It seems to me this would be a common requirement. For example, in connection with a product launch I'm going to have large numbers of new users and need a better solution than adding them manually one at a time.
    I've looked at Impex but it appears to be for the purpose of importing or migrating from other forum software. If there's a way to use this system to import users only I would be interested.

The ImpEx tool has a CSV import that will import username, password and email address to create new users in bulk.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      The ImpEx tool has a CSV import that will import username, password and email address to create new users in bulk.

Searched and could not find the right section...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

I went through the process of installing Impex and got to the text file importer. However there's no documentation anywhere on how the file should be formatted. I've got username,password,email in my text file (no spaces, comma separated, no quotes). The file was uploaded to my impex folder and and I just entered the filename in the data entry field where it asks for the full path to the file. It doesn't seem to matter what format I use, I still get NOT OK in the result. Can I ask you to please respond with examples of how the file should be formatted. Also please clarify what is meant by Full path and file name of the user file. (i.e. /tmp/users.txt ) - the instructions say full path and the example given is a relative path? Is it sufficient to place the file in the impex directory and simply enter the filename? vBulletin has gone to great lengths to support importation of other boards but offers little help when it comes to the simple case -- text file imports.

Comment

Yes, you should be able to place it in the Impex directory and use just the file name on it's own.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Sorry ... placing the file in the Impex directory and omitting the fully-qualified path doesn't work.
            Here's how I solved the problem:
            A. I ran phpinfo() to find the exact path to my file
            1.Copy this text to a text editor and save the file as phpinfo.php:
            <?php
            phpinfo();
            ?>
            2. Upload this file to public_html or the equivalent
            3. From a browser, run phpinfo as follows: http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php
            This will bring up the php info for your site
            B. Find the variable (near the bottom of the file) called _ENV["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]
            which provides the location of the script file that you ran to produce the php info
            C. The path name in this field provides the path you should use to your import file
            In my case it was something like /home/mydomain/public_html/phpinfo.php
            D. When I provided /home/mydomain/public_html/tmp/import.txt as my import file I was able to import my users in batch (after many hours of farting around with Impex - because nobody could tell me definitively what it was looking for)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X