Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitten off more than I can Chew... WOWBB migration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• borbole
    replied
    Did you manage to convert your forum to vB JamPal?

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Originally posted by JamPal View Post
    Ahh i see. Thanks. That really helps.
    You are welcome.

Leave a comment:

• JamPal
    replied
    Originally posted by borbole View Post
    You can''t see the database itself through ftp at your server space. That is where the forum files are uploaded. You can check the databases at the MySql section at the CP of your host. Hope it helps.
    Ahh i see. Thanks. That really helps.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Which database? So both databases should be in the same directory?

I am still unsure what the databases looks like, what they are called and where they are physically. I can't seem to get a handle on this in my head.

There certainly isn't a big file that i can see in my FTP client. So where and what are they?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I just really need to picture it all in my head before I do anything.

Regards,
    James.
    You can''t see the database itself through ftp at your server space. That is where the forum files are uploaded. You can check the databases at the MySql section at the CP of your host. Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• JamPal
    replied
    I didn''t mean the forum files, but the database.
    Which database? So both databases should be in the same directory?

I am still unsure what the databases looks like, what they are called and where they are physically. I can't seem to get a handle on this in my head.

There certainly isn't a big file that i can see in my FTP client. So where and what are they?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I just really need to picture it all in my head before I do anything.

Regards,
    James.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    hi, the source database and the new data base are on the same server. The new forum is just one directory away from the old one.

is this going to be a problem? Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
    James.
    I didn''t mean the forum files, but the database.

Leave a comment:

• JamPal
    replied
    Yes, the vb files are inside the forums folder. Anyway, it is best that the vb is installed at the same db as the source forum (the one you are converting from) so it can connect and read the data from the source forum. Or at least, its db user should have full access and permission to the db of the source forum.

hi, the source database and the new data base are on the same server. The new forum is just one directory away from the old one.

is this going to be a problem? Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
    James.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Thanks, yes that helps on the move. I assume all the VB files are in one folder and I can just move them up the tree and update the URL setting (which I found earlier).

However I don;t really understand what you mean about having both forums "installed at the same database". i assumed the VB would come with a new database and I will need to use IMPEX to suck the data from the old wowbb database (rearrange it all) then push it into the new vb data base?

Is that assumption wrong?

Regards,
    James.
    Yes, the vb files are inside the forums folder. Anyway, it is best that the vb is installed at the same db as the source forum (the one you are converting from) so it can connect and read the data from the source forum. Or at least, its db user should have full access and permission to the db of the source forum.

Leave a comment:

• JamPal
    replied
    Your old forum should use a database. Check its config file or how it is called, the file that holds the db conenction info. Also it would be best if both forums are installed at the same database. And after the conversion is over, you can move your vb files to the root, if you want to have your forum there, update the board url and you should be all set. Hope it helps.
    Thanks, yes that helps on the move. I assume all the VB files are in one folder and I can just move them up the tree and update the URL setting (which I found earlier).

However I don;t really understand what you mean about having both forums "installed at the same database". i assumed the VB would come with a new database and I will need to use IMPEX to suck the data from the old wowbb database (rearrange it all) then push it into the new vb data base?

Is that assumption wrong?

Regards,
    James.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Hi all,

Well, I did some research and found that I could import from wowbb into vBulletin, so paid my money and got vBulletin installed on my server.

There are a few problems though.

My server contains a forum already, at www.hifiwigwam.com the new one has been installed at www.hifiwigwam.com/forums. so the old one is still there AND the new one. And I have no idea how to move it safely having not done the install myself.

Anyway, at least my old forum is running while I set up the new one. The trouble is, i have been reading the help files for Impex and I am totally lost. I have no idea if my board "uses a Database" (I assumed they all did) or what the name of the data base is etc? How do I find all of this out?

Has anyone here done a migration from wowbb before and could they lend me a hand? Or I could I pay some one to do this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    James.
    Your old forum should use a database. Check its config file or how it is called, the file that holds the db conenction info. Also it would be best if both forums are installed at the same database. And after the conversion is over, you can move your vb files to the root, if you want to have your forum there, update the board url and you should be all set. Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• JamPal
    started a topic Bitten off more than I can Chew... WOWBB migration!

Bitten off more than I can Chew... WOWBB migration!

Hi all,

Well, I did some research and found that I could import from wowbb into vBulletin, so paid my money and got vBulletin installed on my server.

There are a few problems though.

My server contains a forum already, at www.hifiwigwam.com the new one has been installed at www.hifiwigwam.com/forums. so the old one is still there AND the new one. And I have no idea how to move it safely having not done the install myself.

Anyway, at least my old forum is running while I set up the new one. The trouble is, i have been reading the help files for Impex and I am totally lost. I have no idea if my board "uses a Database" (I assumed they all did) or what the name of the data base is etc? How do I find all of this out?

Has anyone here done a migration from wowbb before and could they lend me a hand? Or I could I pay some one to do this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    James.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X