Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpbb -> vBulletin v4

Hi all,

I'm a forum n00b and having some major trauma trying to get a phpbb forum into vBulletin 4 for a client. Here's what I've done so far to try this:

1. Setup MAMP on my Mac so I can all this locally first without messing with the online stuff.
    2. The phpbb database contains over 17,000 'spam' users which I have culled using phpMyAdmin.
    3. Installed vBulletin and ImpEx.
    4. Tried the import routine and run into problems. Everything runs OK in the import routine and it says it's imported the users, forums, posts etc but when I preview it - there's nothing there! I've tried rebuilding the indexes etc but no joy.

The phpbb version is 2.x and vBulletin is v4.0

Anyone any ideas? I'm really struggling with this.

did you do ACP>Maint>Update Counters
    Maxum Boat Forum / Computer Repair Cary NC

Comment

Hi,

Yeah I tried that and no joy. :-(

Comment

What problems exactly? I'm going to need more than run into problems.

Comment

Ok, heres a run-down of whats (not) happening. I've imported my PHPBB forum into vBulletin and when I preview the result, there is no forum there. Reading the output of ImpEx I can see that it has (apparently) successfully imported the forums (of which there are simply two), the users, the posts etc etc. What isn't clear during the import is whether the 'Associate Members' step is actually necessary. I don't, for instance, already have a working vBulletin forum setup as it's basically blank, ready to take the import of the PHPBB forum. As I understood it, this was supposed to be a simple task! I must be truly stupid :-(

[edit]

I ran the maintenance scritps once again and this time I can see the two forums are there but no posts in them :-(

[further edit]

If I look in the vBulletin admin panel, I can see all the users there.
          Last edited by branchesdesign; Mon 25th Jan '10, 7:52am.

Comment

I've imported phpbb to vB a lot.

The simple explanation for you is: If you know they are there now. Delete the imported users group (or what ever they are called for your particular import) and the members will fall into place as the registered users now.

Rebuild your counters and you are good to go. The rest is setting permissions and all the other stuff that comes with the new board.
            Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
            created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

to add, CP>Admin> Usergroups> Seletct Imported Usergroup> edit and delete the group.
              Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
              created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've *never* touched a forum before so all this is completely alien to me. I thought I'd be able to run the import and away you go. Clearly I was wrong!

I tried deleting the usergroup and still nothing. No posts. From what I can see, this is a really simple forum in PHPBB and only has two forums in there with just over 200 users.

*palm, meet forehead.

Comment

http://www.vbulleitn.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup You need to do the after the import steps to get the forum working.

Comment

Here's what works for me; You've imported everything, but you go view your forum and you only see the "Main" forum. Delete that Main forum in Forum Manager, and then you'll see all of your other forums appear.

Then update your counters, and you'll see the post numbers, replies, threads begin to display.

Comment

Originally posted by bogley View Post
                      Here's what works for me; You've imported everything, but you go view your forum and you only see the "Main" forum. Delete that Main forum in Forum Manager, and then you'll see all of your other forums appear.

Then update your counters, and you'll see the post numbers, replies, threads begin to display.
                      Don't have to delete that forum, just "save display" and it will rebuild the forum cache.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X